News:

To the "allies," if you aren't complicit in my crimes then you are complicit in theirs.

Main Menu

Three school shootings today. America reaches new PR.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, October 10, 2015, 01:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on October 10, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
Are these increasing in frequency or does it just seem that way as there's been several over the last couple of weeks?

They are increasing in frequency.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
It is certainly well worth noting that the majority of adolescents, male and female, are sexually frustrated, many well into their college years, making it in itself a wholly inadequate explanation, however compelling it feels from an "I can relate to that" standpoint. It also implies that simply not getting laid is enough to make young men into mass murderers, and I would certainly like to give men more credit than that.

On the other hand, loneliness, isolation, powerlessness and rejection on a more holistic level are far more plausible as primary contributing factors.

Yeah. I'm also not keen on a narrative that implies that girls need to be getting boys laid or the school will get shot up.

Faust

The sexual fustration extending from highschool well into college thing is interesting.

That plus a culture that encourages arrested development, deminished responsibility, while simultanously pushing that they are the protagonist...

Its going to increase, further.

I've expressed my views on gun ownership in the past, I see no valid reasons to own one and want to see reduction of availability. But I dont think it would make much difference in these cases.

Something cultural is going to have to change or its going to get worse.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Faust on October 10, 2015, 10:29:11 PM
Are these increasing in frequency or does it just seem that way as there's been several over the last couple of weeks?

This year has been an especially bad year for mass shooting incidents.

Just to add to the list, a 15 year old was arrested for making threats on social media that he would kill the school cheerleaders for not sending him nudes.

CynicalCichilid

Quote from: Cain on October 10, 2015, 10:51:48 PM

This year has been an especially bad year for mass shooting incidents.

Just to add to the list, a 15 year old was arrested for making threats on social media that he would kill the school cheerleaders for not sending him nudes.

If this was in a country where guns are rare, he'd have probably been ignored or ridiculed. It's sad that this kind of infantile threat has to be taken seriously.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
I completely don't buy the sexual frustration angle, either. While it's a very facile explanation, it isn't based on anything other than speculation and projection, and doesn't seem to have any historical analogues or really any other support whatsoever. I think it's about powerlessness, authority, and a sense of futility. I think it has something to do with the power and social dynamics inside schools.

I'm not sure the sexual angle can really be ruled out.

Malformed rant:
  • White males predominantly seem to do this
  • Eliot Rodger's explicit comments on being entitled to sex
  • Oregon shooter apparently a virgin
  • Who really wants to kill anyone when you're still high on sex oxytocins?
  • I remember being a horrible little teenager with murder in my heart, and if I hadn't been getting laid, I'm not sure what I may have done with the handgun I smuggled to school one day in my JNCOs.
  • In a patriarchal system, women are valuable as sex and status objects. So with the firm depressive belief that you will never have sex or status that you really want and having decided on being a cowardly little bitch that's going to kill himself anyway, you might as well try to score a few Man™ points by killing those assholes at school that ridicule you all the time when they aren't living their perfect, sheltered little lives.
  • Sex as a rough indicator of social competency.
  • Social competency as a key to your overall happiness as an ape

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cainad (dec.)

But there have been people not getting laid for ages. Why this, why now?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 11, 2015, 05:32:05 AM
But there have been people not getting laid for ages. Why this, why now?

Our society has stopped pretending.  You are told by the news and by government officials that you are in fact a tiny cog in a big machine.  You are then told that this is good, and that you should be not only PROUD of this, but that you should shit all over anyone who feels that being a cog is a bad thing.

America, Cainad, love it or leave it.  Your efforts and the efforts of everyone around you flow, however indirectly, OUT to places like Afghanistan and then back IN to places like Raytheon and Goldman Sachs.  Your will never get to retire - if you're lucky enough to have a job - and your children will drink filthy water for their entire lives. 

And you are told, again, to SUPPORT this as good & right.  And lots of people do, they're absolutely frantic about it, and who the fuck knows what these freaks tell themselves before they go to sleep every night.

It's all sick.  And I am unsure exactly why it is surprising that sick people are produced by it.  Action/reaction, it's how the fucking universe WORKS.  "I can't get a date but this can't possibly be MY fault" and "That fucking asshole boss of mine ruins my life but I can't just WALK AWAY" and "I'll be paying off this degree for 35 years, and it qualifies me to make $18.50 per hour HAHAHAHA" and then one day you blast a room full of people at the community college, thus adding to the insane stress levels of every OTHER fucked up unit in the country.

But it makes GREAT media, and devolves quite nicely into the same old fucking 2nd amendment debates that we've been screeching past each other for 70 years.

When I think about shit like this, Cainad, I ask myself "We dropped out of the trees for this?"
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad (dec.) on October 10, 2015, 10:37:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 09:47:27 PM
It is certainly well worth noting that the majority of adolescents, male and female, are sexually frustrated, many well into their college years, making it in itself a wholly inadequate explanation, however compelling it feels from an "I can relate to that" standpoint. It also implies that simply not getting laid is enough to make young men into mass murderers, and I would certainly like to give men more credit than that.

On the other hand, loneliness, isolation, powerlessness and rejection on a more holistic level are far more plausible as primary contributing factors.

Yeah. I'm also not keen on a narrative that implies that girls need to be getting boys laid or the school will get shot up.

Yes, also this.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: N E T on October 11, 2015, 12:32:21 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 10, 2015, 06:16:48 PM
I completely don't buy the sexual frustration angle, either. While it's a very facile explanation, it isn't based on anything other than speculation and projection, and doesn't seem to have any historical analogues or really any other support whatsoever. I think it's about powerlessness, authority, and a sense of futility. I think it has something to do with the power and social dynamics inside schools.

I'm not sure the sexual angle can really be ruled out.

Malformed rant:
  • White males predominantly seem to do this
  • Eliot Rodger's explicit comments on being entitled to sex
  • Oregon shooter apparently a virgin
  • Who really wants to kill anyone when you're still high on sex oxytocins?
  • I remember being a horrible little teenager with murder in my heart, and if I hadn't been getting laid, I'm not sure what I may have done with the handgun I smuggled to school one day in my JNCOs.
  • In a patriarchal system, women are valuable as sex and status objects. So with the firm depressive belief that you will never have sex or status that you really want and having decided on being a cowardly little bitch that's going to kill himself anyway, you might as well try to score a few Man™ points by killing those assholes at school that ridicule you all the time when they aren't living their perfect, sheltered little lives.
  • Sex as a rough indicator of social competency.
  • Social competency as a key to your overall happiness as an ape

I could see sex being one of the contributing frustrations, but I also think it's important to keep in mind that being  unable to find a sexual partner is usually a byproduct of other forms of social incompetency. I really do not think there is a good case for it being the driving factor behind the shootings, even though it is simple and appealing on a gut level for that  reason.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

In other words, I'm saying that being unable to get laid and the shootings are likely both byproducts of related factors.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 11, 2015, 03:55:55 PM
In other words, I'm saying that being unable to get laid and the shootings are likely both byproducts of related factors.

A combination of a feeling of powerlessness, American gun culture, toxic, aggressive masculinity, and just for shits and giggles, white male privilege?

xXRon_Paul_42016Xxx(weed)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 11, 2015, 03:55:55 PM

Can't argue with that.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain