News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Luxury Doomsday Shelters

Started by Cainad (dec.), October 12, 2015, 03:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cainad (dec.)

Dubya

Had this guy christened his company Vault-Tec, I'd be worried.

I wonder, though, how this guy's customers plan to get to their shelters in the event they're actually needed.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dubya on October 13, 2015, 01:46:18 AM

I wonder, though, how this guy's customers plan to get to their shelters in the event they're actually needed.

Presumably, they'd have advance warning.

Thing is, forting up is the single worst way of catastrophe management.  But I imagine it appeals to the self-image of the dumber sort of rich person.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Dubya

I just have this mental image of some formerly rich people stumbling out of their shelters a few years after whatever catastrophe happens and immediately being set upon by the naturally selected remnants of humanity.

I hate to admit it, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Dubya on October 13, 2015, 03:56:57 AM
I just have this mental image of some formerly rich people stumbling out of their shelters a few years after whatever catastrophe happens and immediately being set upon by the naturally selected remnants of humanity.

It wouldn't take that long.  Bunkers are - quite literally - a dead end.  You're inside with your supplies, giving up the initiative to whatever hordes of hungry people - inventive, desperate people - are swarming around.  You have one method of defense, they have an unlimited number of approaches.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Meunster

One entrance.
Lots of ammo.
Be just like the police stations in dayz as my friend puts it "there's good supplies in there, but only one entrance and you'll never get out a live."
Just like a zombie game.
Execpt humans aren't zombies and would think of a way inside in under a week.
Or the hired people with guns that protect the shelters would do all sort of nasty shit to the rich snobs. Until the inner society collapsed.
Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on October 14, 2015, 04:53:45 AM
One entrance.
Lots of ammo.
Be just like the police stations in dayz as my friend puts it "there's good supplies in there, but only one entrance and you'll never get out a live."
Just like a zombie game.
Or the hired people with guns that protect the shelters would do all sort of nasty shit to the rich snobs. Until the inner society collapsed.

Exactly this.

Meunster

Quote from: Meunster on October 14, 2015, 04:53:45 AM
One entrance.
Lots of ammo.
Just like a zombie game.

A LIVEHoly fuck auto correct. I swear I'm not retarded, just fucking large fingers on tiny keyboard.
Poe's law ;)

Cainad (dec.)

And assuming you lasted a year... What then? You'll have to come out eventually.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 14, 2015, 04:04:16 AM
Quote from: Dubya on October 13, 2015, 03:56:57 AM

It wouldn't take that long.  Bunkers are - quite literally - a dead end.  You're inside with your supplies, giving up the initiative to whatever hordes of hungry people - inventive, desperate people - are swarming around.  You have one method of defense, they have an unlimited number of approaches.

Machiavelli talked about this shit in the 1500s, and he wasn't even a military man.

And given what seems to be the main catastrophic threat facing humanity is mass flooding caused by global warming...well, locking yourself in a metal box underground may not work out too well, unless you're above 500m of the current sea level.

Faust

Alas I spent ten million dollars on a glorious rat hole, only to be killed by some guy with a drill, some rubber hose and an exhaust pipe.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 13, 2015, 03:09:23 AM
Quote from: Dubya on October 13, 2015, 01:46:18 AM

Presumably, they'd have advance warning.

Thing is, forting up is the single worst way of catastrophe management.  But I imagine it appeals to the self-image of the dumber sort of rich person.

This.  :lol:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

I bet none of these use geothermal systems either, just because.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on October 14, 2015, 03:02:32 PM
Alas I spent ten million dollars on a glorious rat hole, only to be killed by some guy with a drill, some rubber hose and an exhaust pipe.

I was thinking a barrel of fuel oil, but the exhaust pipe thing works, too.

You have a nasty mind.  I approve of that.

Faust

I'm not made of expensive fuel barrels, exhaust is easier to rig up, hrm but come to think of it I'm not sure if it Would be cheaper.
Sleepless nights at the chateau