News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Is this bullshit?

Started by Cuddlefish, October 13, 2015, 04:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Due to certain conditions, it is looking highly unlikely that I will be able to attend grad school (at this point, It's looking unlikely that I'll be able to eat or have a roof). However, I've been hearing about certain countries that offer free grad school with courses taught in English.

Among them, based on the little research I've done, Germany seems like the best choice. BUT, I don't know if anything I've been reading is true, and if it is, I don't know how practical of an idea moving out of the country really is.

I know there are a few peeps 'round here that have much more knowledge than I do when it comes to stuff like this. So, what do you think? Free grad school in Germany: good idea/bad idea?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Faust

I'd only know about the research side of it. Taught Masters/phd I don't have the answers.

For a Research masters, depending on your field there are funded masters where you get paid to do the research, they tend to take a year or two extra over taught ones which are more focussed. Sadly they do tend to be really competitive to get the funding.

If you wanted a free research masters (indentured servitude), you could approach a research coordinator in your field and they can often wave fees for the masters and sometimes wrangle you classes but it tends to be risky and can have less rewards.

For taught masters phd I'm afraid I don't know.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Meunster

I haven't researched it, but a lot of people mention it and I hold the general rule of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."
Poe's law ;)

Cain

Amazingly, yes, it's true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32821678

Living costs in Germany are also extremely low, at least in comparison to the UK (rent and food bills).

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2015, 05:32:11 PM
Amazingly, yes, it's true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-32821678

Living costs in Germany are also extremely low, at least in comparison to the UK (rent and food bills).

Thanks, that's good news.

I mean, is there any reason why I shouldn't try to do this? It does seem a little too good.

In either case, I might as well at least apply for school and see what happens, yeh?

Cuddlefish

Although, I just noticed this from the article:

"...people wanting to study philosophy and other cultural sciences would still have to be taught in German."

I would be going for a philosophy masters, and my German is rudimentary at best.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Now may not be the best time for Germany in particular, what with the refugee crisis, but I don't know how much that's changed things for Americans trying to enter the country.

Cain

Quote from: Cuddlefish on October 13, 2015, 06:18:46 PM

"...people wanting to study philosophy and other cultural sciences would still have to be taught in German."

I would be going for a philosophy masters, and my German is rudimentary at best.

Enjoy reading Kant in his native tongue!

German is among the easier languages to learn for an English speaker, IMO, but yeah, I can understand some trepidation about learning a language and then doing a Masters in the subject, especially with something as complex as philosophy (in a country renowned for making it more obtuse and obscure than it already was).

It may be possible that some German universities would be willing to put on language courses alongside the MA program.  It's certainly worth asking, at least.

Cain

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 13, 2015, 06:22:50 PM
Now may not be the best time for Germany in particular, what with the refugee crisis, but I don't know how much that's changed things for Americans trying to enter the country.

If Germany is like other European countries, he should be OK.  Our concerns about refugees and asylum seekers and immigration are mostly dog whistles for good old fashioned racism, which western Europeans and Americans are generally exempt from.  No-one in the UK complains about French, German or Danish immigration to this country despite it being technically unlimited, only Poles, Romanians and the Greater Middle East.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2015, 07:41:33 PM

German is among the easier languages to learn for an English speaker, IMO, but yeah, I can understand some trepidation about learning a language and then doing a Masters in the subject, especially with something as complex as philosophy (in a country renowned for making it more obtuse and obscure than it already was).

It may be possible that some German universities would be willing to put on language courses alongside the MA program.  It's certainly worth asking, at least.

Yeah, and I already started doing some searching for masters programs in Germany, and have already found a small handful of philosophy programs taught in English. Plus, I can talk to some of my old professors. I think I might even be able to find some programs/funding/additional information for things like this, now that I know it's a semi-realistic thing. Thanks for your feedback, Cain.

The only other thing is: who do I know from Germany? It would be nice to have a friend there when I arrive.

Cain

Quote from: Cuddlefish on October 13, 2015, 08:13:30 PM

Yeah, and I already started doing some searching for masters programs in Germany, and have already found a small handful of philosophy programs taught in English. Plus, I can talk to some of my old professors. I think I might even be able to find some programs/funding/additional information for things like this, now that I know it's a semi-realistic thing. Thanks for your feedback, Cain.

The only other thing is: who do I know from Germany? It would be nice to have a friend there when I arrive.

Hell, if this country keeps going the way it is, I might be studying over there this time next year.  I'm sure Germany has some top level Poli Sci departments somewhere...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Shit, good luck with that, Dimo!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 13, 2015, 11:58:43 PM
Shit, good luck with that, Dimo!

Thanks Nigel, I appreciate the support. Hopefully I can make this work, it's one hell of a hail mary play.

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2015, 09:58:30 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on October 13, 2015, 08:13:30 PM

Hell, if this country keeps going the way it is, I might be studying over there this time next year.  I'm sure Germany has some top level Poli Sci departments somewhere...

Well shit, keep me posted. It would be chill af to meet you irl.

Cain

Will do.  I have to complete this dissertation first, but once that's done with, I'll be considering my options.  There's a few fully funded courses about, but Germany is an option I've also been considering.  My co-worker has friends there and visits often, so via her I have a good idea of the cost of living there and...well, lets just say it is significantly cheaper than the UK.  Like, rent in Berlin is half the price of London cheaper.  What I'm paying for my shitty hovel here, I can have a one bedroom flat in central Berlin, to myself.  If I can get a degree into the bargain, well, I'm not going to complain.

East Coast Hustle

I think ANY excuse to upgrade to a civilized country is worth investigating. Especially one with good beer and unlimited varieties of sausage. Good luck Dimo!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"