News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

I WISH TO PIERCE MY FLESH REPEATEDLY, SO AS TO MAR GOD'S GLORIOUS CREATION!

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, October 15, 2015, 09:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

So, I'm thinking of getting a tattoo.
I've  been kicking this idea around for a while,  I wanted to get some input from people who have gotten them before, as well as some advice for the symbols I want to incorporate. So far, the concept is a Japanese yakuza style back piece of Great Atuin the Star turtle carrying the Disc on his back, but the land displayed is in the shape of the sacred Chao (oceans can be disorder, land can be order etc.). I like the general theme of Chaos(sacred Chao) as the driving force for Creation(world turtle in several mythologies ). Being a total tattoo virgin, what do you guys think?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

That sounds like a great tattoo, the challenge is going to be to find someone who can draw it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

An entire back piece as your first tattoo?

That's gonna hurt like hell.

But if you really want to do it, research your local artists, see who's specializing in the style you want, and shop around.  Not shop around as "find the lowest price", shop around to find a person you feel comfortable around, and who "gets" your idea.  Then work with them for a while to formalize the design.  If at any point before the needle goes in you don't feel right about them, bail.

Also, be prepared for several multi-hour sessions.  And yeah, it's gonna be expensive.  It should be expensive.  You want the best, because it's permanent.

The Good Reverend Roger

Tattoos are best considered and enacted when you're monumentally drunk.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mangrove

Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2015, 10:03:47 PM

But if you really want to do it, research your local artists, see who's specializing in the style you want, and shop around.  Not shop around as "find the lowest price", shop around to find a person you feel comfortable around, and who "gets" your idea.  Then work with them for a while to formalize the design.  If at any point before the needle goes in you don't feel right about them, bail.

Also, be prepared for several multi-hour sessions.  And yeah, it's gonna be expensive.  It should be expensive.  You want the best, because it's permanent.

Was going to say all of the above but Alphapance nailed it. Can only add to watch episodes of 'TATTOO NIGHTMARES' in order to underscore the importance of the above advice.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

LMNO

Quote from: Mangrove on October 16, 2015, 07:27:51 PM
Quote from: LMNO on October 15, 2015, 10:03:47 PM

Was going to say all of the above but Alphapance nailed it. Can only add to watch episodes of 'TATTOO NIGHTMARES' in order to underscore the importance of the above advice.

Completely off topic, but I picked up Coleman Hawkins' Night Hawk a while back on 180 gram vinyl, and it's probably my favorite jazz record right now.  It's exactly what I like hearing.  Just thought you should know.

Cain

Would most tattoo artists even let you get a full back piece as a first timer?  Obviously some would, but I thought it was general industry practice to let people work their way up to that with smaller tattoos.

LMNO

Good point. You might want to plan it out as a series of smaller pieces that can be melded as it progresses.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2015, 10:02:17 PM
Would most tattoo artists even let you get a full back piece as a first timer?  Obviously some would, but I thought it was general industry practice to let people work their way up to that with smaller tattoos.

Yes, they will. Usually with several consultations over time to develop the design, and progressing in stages. Most tattoo artists recognize that not everyone wants a bunch of tattoos, and that there are people who simply want a single big piece that is personally meaningful. It would be pretty bullshit if an artist was like "No, you have to get a bunch of small tattoos that you don't really want before you can get the one you do really want".

Most won't give you a face, neck, or hand tattoo if you aren't already significantly tatted, but as far as large pieces go it's usually more about planning it out in stages and making sure the client is certain about it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on October 16, 2015, 10:20:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2015, 10:02:17 PM

Yes, they will. Usually with several consultations over time to develop the design, and progressing in stages. Most tattoo artists recognize that not everyone wants a bunch of tattoos, and that there are people who simply want a single big piece that is personally meaningful. It would be pretty bullshit if an artist was like "No, you have to get a bunch of small tattoos that you don't really want before you can get the one you do really want".

Most won't give you a face, neck, or hand tattoo if you aren't already significantly tatted, but as far as large pieces go it's usually more about planning it out in stages and making sure the client is certain about it.

Ah, yeah, I was thinking more about the face/neck/hand and extrapolating, I wasn't sure.

Epimetheus

Sounds cool! Good luck. A good artist will make that the coolest shit ever.

Also can this be a tattoo thread? Is there one of those? I'm planning on my first tat soon as well!
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Dubya

Only thing I can think to add is to try out the colors in small batches. Some people are allergic to some of the inks. A friend of mine had four ER visits over a dinky little piece on his leg. Would have been much worse with a larger piece.
"Gold Medalist of the 2015 David Cameron Memorial Barnyard Olympics."

Chelagoras The Boulder

Quote from: Epimetheus on October 17, 2015, 01:34:10 AM
Sounds cool! Good luck. A good artist will make that the coolest shit ever.

Also can this be a tattoo thread? Is there one of those? I'm planning on my first tat soon as well!
Yea, I don't see why not. Anyone got some sweet ink to show off?
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."

Ben Shapiro

Chelagoras The Boulder