News:

It's like that horrible screech you get when the microphone is positioned too close to a speaker, only with cops.

Main Menu

The truth is out there

Started by Rembo, October 17, 2015, 03:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rembo

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2015/10/the-most-interesting-star-in-our-galaxy/410023/

Synopsis: the Keppler Space Telescope, which has been used in an exoplanet hunt for the past few years has collected some truly strange data.
It has been looking at stars in order to measure drops in brightness, which, if periodical, are usually an indication of an orbiting body.
Amongst the 150k stars it's been watching, one stands out. The reason is the wholly unexpected frequency and number of brightness drops.

Hypotheses have been put forward to explain this, but none of them do not raise questions.
The very very last to be considered, yet still not impossible, is a Dyson Swarm, which is a collection of objects, designed and built to collect solar radiation. This would indicate a Type II civilization, on the Kardashev scale...

Now mind you, I'm not saying it's aliens. I'm just saying that it is NOT IMPOSSIBLE for it to be aliens.

SETI's gonna point some radio telescopes that way by Januari, to see if the collection of bodies sends out any radio signals which MIGHT be of technological origin...

Could be interesting, no?

EDIT: I am truly sorry for the title. I could not help myself...
The Hills in Discordia are Thornly...

Cain

The one time this guy may be right about anything:

Rembo

Honestly, that exact picture popped into my mind when I read the headline, only just after this one:

https://f1.bcbits.com/img/a2110998030_16.jpg

not a viable form for a Dyson structure, but a pretty picture

LMNO

If it's a type II civilization, then it most likely has the same telescopic ability to view other solar systems. Which means it probably knows about us. 

Ergo, we're that guy at the party no one wants to make eye contact with.

Cain

Or we're the after dinner snack they're saving for last.

The Good Reverend Roger

Worse, we're not even at the party.  They just sit out there, listening to our EM signature the way you'd listen to the loud yahoo music coming from the trailer park halfway across town, and you take comfort in the knowledge that nobody will ever get out of that park, they'll all die of meth abuse first.

And there are worse things than a little noise.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nast

Assuming it's aliens, star in question is about 1500 light years away, so what we're seeing is in fact ANCIENT ALIENS.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 17, 2015, 07:14:02 PM
Worse, we're not even at the party.  They just sit out there, listening to our EM signature the way you'd listen to the loud yahoo music coming from the trailer park halfway across town, and you take comfort in the knowledge that nobody will ever get out of that park, they'll all die of meth abuse first.

And there are worse things than a little noise.

I also believe that if there are highly advanced alien civilizations out there, they probably already know about us and are not making contact with us because a) we're embarrassing b) they're making bets on how quickly we blow ourselves up.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Rembo

Well. if they'd look at our star they'd see there's a planet here. No fancy solar panels around the sun here...

Now if they'd listen to our TV and radio transmissions, then they'd hear... Nothing. At least for another... what 1430 odd years?

Plus the first few things they'd hear would include a lot of WWI and II propaganda...

Cain

Dyson himself isn't even a hundred years old, but this star is nearly 1,500 lightyears away! How would they even know how to build a Dyson sphere?

#checkmateatheists

The Wizard Joseph

I believe that I heard this particular star is very high above the galactic plane. IF there was an impossibly ancient galactic civ it would still need to seek efficiency in its endeavors. Seems to me that if your civilization is only going to place just so many Dysonian structures, due to what I imagine are the difficult logistics of construction, then placing high above the plane is an optimal spot for signaling and receiving.

I'll have to see if I can confirm that placement info.

Quote from: Cain on October 17, 2015, 09:08:43 PM
Dyson himself isn't even a hundred years old, but this star is nearly 1,500 lightyears away! How would they even know how to build a Dyson sphere?

#checkmateatheists

:lulz:

Along those lines I would just lose my shit if we made first contact only to discover that theology isn't actually a strictly human thing.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Rembo on October 17, 2015, 08:55:47 PM
Well. if they'd look at our star they'd see there's a planet here. No fancy solar panels around the sun here...

Now if they'd listen to our TV and radio transmissions, then they'd hear... Nothing. At least for another... what 1430 odd years?

Plus the first few things they'd hear would include a lot of WWI and II propaganda...

Unfortunately, radio and television signals are nothing but static after a light year.  Which is too bad, because I want everyone 35 light years away from us being subjected to Three's Company.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Rembo

You got meh! Should've realized that:p
The contents would be indecipherable, only the frequency, band and surviving binary patterns would hint to a technological origin.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 18, 2015, 01:24:39 AM

Unfortunately, radio and television signals are nothing but static after a light year.  Which is too bad, because I want everyone 35 light years away from us being subjected to Three's Company.

:eek:

"Come and knock on our door. We'll be waiting for you where the kisses are hers and hers and his. Three's company too."

- lingua/musical invitation sent from initially suspected "easy mark" planet. Scans reveal high levels of exotic radio isotopes in atmosphere and several active subatomic particle collision devices embedded in the planetary crust. Indefinite contact hold order given to assess possible "trap" planet status.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Not all of us want to be eaten by aliens.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on October 18, 2015, 06:47:59 PM

Not all of us want to be eaten by aliens.

I don't think they'd eat us.  They'd just aim comets at us.  Really fucking big ones.