News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Anyone interested in...

Started by Cuddlefish, October 19, 2015, 06:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on January 09, 2016, 05:53:03 PM
Ain't scared of no 35k words. 

Plus it'll give me something new to read.

I've actually finished the first draft since I've posted (currently sits at 72099 words) and sent it out to a handful of people. If you want, I can get you in once I slap together a 2nd draft.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Cuddlefish

Ok, so it seems I cannot get anyone to read my manuscript (not that I think that anyone is obligated to, but I'm really anxious to get to re-writes, and I can do literally nothing until I get some feedback) so I am considering finding a professional. Does anyone know what I should expect for rates?

EDIT: nevermind, this shit is actually very expensive.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cuddlefish on January 15, 2016, 05:25:41 PM
Ok, so it seems I cannot get anyone to read my manuscript (not that I think that anyone is obligated to, but I'm really anxious to get to re-writes, and I can do literally nothing until I get some feedback) so I am considering finding a professional. Does anyone know what I should expect for rates?

It's horrifically expensive. :(

I would volunteer to read it, but the last manuscript I volunteered to read (LMNO's) sat on my bedside table for, um, I guess four years, mostly unread. I have since gained the sense to recognize that there is no actual way I'm reading anything but textbooks during the term.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

I can take a shot at it, but can't promise anything.

Trying to set expectations, here. I didn't do too well with your last work, if I can tell.

I did listen to and like the last album, though.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 15, 2016, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on January 15, 2016, 05:25:41 PM

It's horrifically expensive. :(

I would volunteer to read it, but the last manuscript I volunteered to read (LMNO's) sat on my bedside table for, um, I guess four years, mostly unread. I have since gained the sense to recognize that there is no actual way I'm reading anything but textbooks during the term.

As weird as it might sound, I really appreciate you NOT signing on for something that you don't have time for (it should be standard practices, I feel, but is uncommon). I don't want to come across as impatient with others, either. It's just frustrating when many people give me a time-frame (which I then plan around) but then they disappear off the planet. I'd rather people just flat out say that they can't do it, than be led to expect something from someone that they don't even intend to doing. I think I even remember you mentioning similar situations in a post or on FB, and I agree that things like this seem to be more common these days... Or maybe I'm just noticing it more... IDK.

Quote from: LMNO on January 15, 2016, 09:56:00 PM
I can take a shot at it, but can't promise anything.

Trying to set expectations, here. I didn't do too well with your last work, if I can tell.

I did listen to and like the last album, though.

I would really like your feedback in particular, but why don't you let me know if you have time that opens up? That way I won't have yet another copy potentially floating around in limbo nor the uncertainty of not knowing whether or not you've had a chance to look at it. I'm sure that at some point, even if it's a few drafts down the road, your input will be just as valuable.

Freeky

I am definitely down to do this.  I have no actual idea how long it would take me to read on a computer, though.  But I have all the time in the world to read things.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Choppas an' Sluggas on January 16, 2016, 09:39:35 PM
I am definitely down to do this.  I have no actual idea how long it would take me to read on a computer, though.  But I have all the time in the world to read things.

PMed you.

LMNO

OK.  I realized "free time" isn't something that happens, so I must choose to make time.  Send over a copy, and I'll endeavor to read a little bit each day.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: LMNO on January 19, 2016, 05:29:50 PM
OK.  I realized "free time" isn't something that happens, so I must choose to make time.  Send over a copy, and I'll endeavor to read a little bit each day.

I suppose that's true. You're going to have to refresh my memory and send me your email address, it's been a while since I had to use it.