News:

PD.com: "the lot of you are some of the most vicious, name calling, vile examples of humanity I've had the misfortune of attempting to communicate with.  Even attempting to mimic the general mood of the place toward people who think differently leaves a slimy feel on my skin.  Reptilian, even."

Main Menu

Zenarchy

Started by themanwhocreatedjazz, October 26, 2015, 12:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

themanwhocreatedjazz

I haven't seen a thread for this, so I made one! For all of those who have not read the book by Kerry Thornley, here - http://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/kerry-thornley-zenarchy
Thoughts?

The Good Reverend Roger

There might be a reason that 13 years in the board's existence, we don't talk about Thornley's stuff much.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

themanwhocreatedjazz

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 26, 2015, 02:56:34 PM
There might be a reason that 13 years in the board's existence, we don't talk about Thornley's stuff much.

Oh.

I'll let myself out.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: themanwhocreatedjazz on October 27, 2015, 08:52:48 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on October 26, 2015, 02:56:34 PM

Oh.

I'll let myself out.

If you feel the need to do so.  :shrug:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Edward Longpork

This book had a big impact on me. I've actually got it in print.

I liked Thornley's description of how naming the movement was its death.

Love the koans too:

QuoteThe Shortest Theological Debate in History

Ho Chi Zen: "What is God like?"

Tom: "Somebody. I don't care."

a few snippets of this book made it into Camden Benares (aka the Count of Fives) book "Zen without Zen Masters".. If you like Zenarchy you should check it out.

themanwhocreatedjazz

Quote from: Edward Longpork on November 03, 2015, 08:01:57 PM

Love the koans too:

a few snippets of this book made it into Camden Benares (aka the Count of Fives) book "Zen without Zen Masters".. If you like Zenarchy you should check it out.

You can hear Thornley discuss Zenarchy here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtCl5sL4FOQ

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Although it is quite dated and a lot of it revolves around sex, I rather liked Zen Without Zen Masters.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

themanwhocreatedjazz

Quote from: Edward Longpork on November 03, 2015, 08:01:57 PM

Love the koans too:

If you like Zenarchy, you may like this http://www.impropaganda.net/1997/kultcha.html

wudgar

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 08, 2015, 05:50:45 PM
Although it is quite dated and a lot of it revolves around sex, I rather liked Zen Without Zen Masters.

Most things revolve around sex
Shameless whoring; www.zazzle.com/wudgar

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: wudgar on January 09, 2016, 08:34:48 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on November 08, 2015, 05:50:45 PM

Most things revolve around sex

You could say that one some level most things revolve around the base of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, but that would just be stating the obvious.

On an intellectual level, most adult people are able to move past brainstem-level drives and contemplate topics that are more abstract than fucking, staying warm, and shoving food into their faces.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."