News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "At least Satanists HAVE a worldview. After reading this thread, I'm convinced that discordians not only don't, but will actively mock anyone who does."

Main Menu

Music Suggestions

Started by Cuddlefish, November 02, 2015, 04:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

So, I'm looking for some suggestions for music to listen to while I'm writing. I'm looking for stuff without prominent lyrics, and maybe a little ambient as long as it's still actually musical. This is what I usually listen to: C418 and Geinō Yamashirogumi's Akira OST. They are both pretty varied, so try to give a few songs a listen to get a good idea of what they're like. I'm just getting a little tired of the same two artists, but haven't found anything else that is suitable. Any suggestions?
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cuddlefish on November 02, 2015, 04:48:55 PM
So, I'm looking for some suggestions for music to listen to while I'm writing. I'm looking for stuff without prominent lyrics, and maybe a little ambient as long as it's still actually musical. This is what I usually listen to: C418 and Geinō Yamashirogumi's Akira OST. They are both pretty varied, so try to give a few songs a listen to get a good idea of what they're like. I'm just getting a little tired of the same two artists, but haven't found anything else that is suitable. Any suggestions?

Lawrence Welk in the Youtube Doubler with Godspeed you Black Emperor.

Trust me on this one.  You're write until you pass out and crash.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 02, 2015, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on November 02, 2015, 04:48:55 PM

Lawrence Welk in the Youtube Doubler with Godspeed you Black Emperor.

Trust me on this one.  You're write until you pass out and crash.

That's actually something I would enjoy. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

You're not going to believe me: Nine Inch Nails, "Ghosts I-VII". It's all instrumental. It's how I cranked out 30 Days of Eris.

Cuddlefish

Oh, my... Godspeed You is... exactly what I was looking for. Thanks SO MUCH for the awesome suggestion.

Quote from: LMNO on November 02, 2015, 08:07:34 PM
You're not going to believe me: Nine Inch Nails, "Ghosts I-VII". It's all instrumental. It's how I cranked out 30 Days of Eris.

I'll check it out after practice tonight.

East Coast Hustle

Isis has some vocals but it's like 40 seconds of vocals in a ten minute song. You might dig them. Agalloch is good for that sort of thing also.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

You won't understand the words: DakhaBrakha. They're from Ukraine, and they're amazing.

EK WAFFLR

Ulver: Silence teaches you how to sing.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Cuddlefish

Just so you all know, I've been checking out everything here. While all of it is good, the only stuff I listened to that really fit the bill was Godspeed you. The nin stuff suggested by lmno was pretty good, but had some parts that really pulled me out of my creative headspace. That said, I'd check out more suggestions if anyone has any.

LMNO

Bill Laswell, Version 2 Version.

tyrannosaurus vex

Metallica's "Call of Cthulu" on repeat until you find out the real reason Cliff Burton crawled under that bus on purpose.
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

East Coast Hustle

DFHVN. (aka Deafheaven)

Has some black metal-style vocals in spots but again, a minute or two of vocals in a ten minute song.

Also Wolves in the Throne Room might fit the bill.

Zenpatista

Nice list of bands! That's made for some fun exploring. Along the lines of the OP, although possibly too distracting, is the band Hovercraft. One of those Godspeed You! pieces I just heard reminds me of them. I think I would find them too much, but then again, I listen to drum & bass when working.

Cuddlefish

So, I've been listening to the 'Undertale' soundtrack. Not sure why, but I can write like lightning when this is on. Hell, anything I do while listening to this becomes less like work. Even work. Dunno why... My favorite bit is at 3:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxNcKXjfaQo