News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 12:17:37 AM
So, I've just been given a green light to bully my co-workers.

This isn't hyperbole or me miscontruing anything, btw.   I have been told this, directly.

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Cain

Green light.  With the explicit promise that he will run interference when they inevitably whine about it.

Meunster

Be the bully you always wanted to be.
Insult their shoes. Call them nerds. Steal their quarters for milk.
Poe's law ;)

Cain

I do all that stuff anyway.

I'm going to have to mug them for their lunch money, I think.

President Television

Cain! What is best in life?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Meunster

Check the shoes. Once they figure out what you're doing they'll try to hide money so they can still eat.
Poe's law ;)

Cain

Quote from: President Television on November 10, 2015, 01:32:21 AM

Crush your co-workers. See them exasperated before you. Hear the lamentations of their HR reps.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

This isn't hyperbole or me miscontruing anything, btw.   I have been told this, directly.

Squeeee!!!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 01:26:23 AM
Green light.  With the explicit promise that he will run interference when they inevitably whine about it.

Is this the guy that's ultimately in charge of all those dangerously foolish ass-hats you've been talking about? If so consider that it may be a set-up intended to get you in a bad position. I'm not saying it is so, but I've found that managers are never more dangerous than when they're "letting you do something" that shouldn't be necessary if they were competent.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 10, 2015, 02:49:05 AM

Is this the guy that's ultimately in charge of all those dangerously foolish ass-hats you've been talking about? If so consider that it may be a set-up intended to get you in a bad position. I'm not saying it is so, but I've found that managers are never more dangerous than when they're "letting you do something" that shouldn't be necessary if they were competent.

Thought did cross my mind.

That said, the other shifts are useless.  I mean, completely and utterly useless.  Any move to get us fired would mean having to just put up with them being useless on even more shifts than they currently are.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 01:36:45 AM

Crush your co-workers. See them exasperated before you. Hear the lamentations of their HR reps.

The rulers in city-states also tend to be more responsive to their citizens needs.  Normally because their citizens know where to find them in order to string them up, should they fuck it all up, and organizing a city-wide mob is not as hard as organizing a country-wide mob.  It's at just the right level for a lot of things when it comes to organization, economic viability, democratic governance and so on.
                       \

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

That said, the other shifts are useless.  I mean, completely and utterly useless.  Any move to get us fired would mean having to just put up with them being useless on even more shifts than they currently are.

I've found a simple workplace truth in my few years in the Laundry Services Department. It is very rarely the shitty co-worker that needs adjustment, like being berated. It is the person that allowed the behavior, knowingly and intentionally or not, that must be influenced. The only result of attempting to adjust the co-worker directly for misbehaving is thin compliance and resentment at best, at worst genuine and often veiled hostility.

I've more to say if you've an inclination to give ear.. or eye I guess, to it. My brain's just a bit far from the objective mode of thinking about anything work related ATM.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on November 10, 2015, 01:24:55 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 01:36:45 AM

The rulers in city-states also tend to be more responsive to their citizens needs.  Normally because their citizens know where to find them in order to string them up, should they fuck it all up, and organizing a city-wide mob is not as hard as organizing a country-wide mob.  It's at just the right level for a lot of things when it comes to organization, economic viability, democratic governance and so on.
                       \

The Cimmerians understand ACCOUNTABILITY!  :lulz:

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on November 11, 2015, 06:39:49 AM
Quote from: Cain on November 10, 2015, 03:16:35 AM

I've found a simple workplace truth in my few years in the Laundry Services Department. It is very rarely the shitty co-worker that needs adjustment, like being berated. It is the person that allowed the behavior, knowingly and intentionally or not, that must be influenced. The only result of attempting to adjust the co-worker directly for misbehaving is thin compliance and resentment at best, at worst genuine and often veiled hostility.

I've more to say if you've an inclination to give ear.. or eye I guess, to it. My brain's just a bit far from the objective mode of thinking about anything work related ATM.

True...but these people are lazy as fuck.  I mean, the fridge had rotting food which expired in the summer in it, and they couldn't even be bothered to clean it out.  When I come in, I frequently find daily updated paperwork is pinned on top of the previous day's one...because someone couldn't be bothered to walk 15 feet to the bin and dispose of it.  Paperwork for the weekends, which is easy to update (you do it as people leave/arrive) is frequently so shoddy my co-worker and I spend 2 hours on our first night back on duty cross-referencing everything to make sure it's accurate, because it frequently isn't.

There's definitely a dearth of any kind of proper leadership or management here.  But it's festered to the point where it seems only 1 out of the 4 shifts is actually doing what it should be. We've shouted at management for months to fix it, but, well, you know what kind of idiots they are.  So now we'll shout at other people.