News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2016, 04:53:46 AM
So exactly a month after working on my own, I might finally get a coworker.

I think she's Basque, though going by how my manager was butchering her name, she may as well be some Lovecraftian horror.

With any luck, she could be both.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Quote from: LuciferX on January 30, 2016, 08:52:53 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 28, 2016, 08:53:12 PM
Rise of the Tomb Raider is visually amazing.  I may have to do a blind playthrough of this and throw it up on teh Youtoobs
That whole ice-climbing hook was great - youtuubes finally let's me watch it again, somewhat.

Yeah, they've built on the exploration and survival aspects pretty well, IMO. 

minuspace

b/c of decades of vidya-games exile my opinion may not be so informed, though I was tempted to change that, on a visceral level, seeing Lara slipping all over the place, it's like she needed me; or I wanted her to, at least.

The previous game you were playing looked cool too.  I liked how the guy was walking around with fire/plasma/magic in his hand and could then also go into that upper celestial/zodiacal realm - youtuubes shit the bed at that point so Im sure it's even cooler.

[Ed] Only criticism of both is jerky camera movement when character turns left or right.  Might have something to do with rendering engine trying to maintain isomorphic perspective.  I don't if it's a "playability" compromise, but it was detracting for a spectator, seeing how otherwise everything was beyond expectation.

Cain

Yeah, that's engine limitation issues unfortunately.  It might be better if I was using a Solid State Drive....but even then, a lot of games have been slow to take advantage of muti-core processing and similar.  In the case of Skyrim, the problem is although my computer is pretty decent, the game is only relying on a single core processor, rather than spreading the load between them all.  So when load exceeds what that core can handle...quality goes to shit.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on January 30, 2016, 04:53:46 AM
So exactly a month after working on my own, I might finally get a coworker.

I think she's Basque, though going by how my manager was butchering her name, she may as well be some Lovecraftian horror.

I am going to hope for the latter, although the former is also pretty cool.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

What the hell is up, spags? I haven't been on for a couple of days because 1. MIDTERMS ARE COMING, and 2. I had a cold that turned into bronchitis and then just as I was getting over it I GOT ANOTHER FUCKING COLD.

Other than that, I think everything's fine. I bought a charcoal gray suit. Alty is still awesome. I am having a sort of love/hate relationship with my physics class.

For some reason it is absolutely cold as FUCK today.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on January 27, 2016, 05:20:08 PM
Quote from: Legate Gene O'Mick, PhD on January 27, 2016, 03:29:00 PM
Whoa, why did Roger flounce?

Well, I won't speak for him other than to say when last I chatted with him on the subject he was very serious about it. I don't know if it will prove truly permanent, but it certainly seems so. I'll leave it to folks actually involved to tell the tale.

I think the only folks involved are Roger.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 31, 2016, 01:00:22 AM
What the hell is up, spags? I haven't been on for a couple of days because 1. MIDTERMS ARE COMING, and 2. I had a cold that turned into bronchitis and then just as I was getting over it I GOT ANOTHER FUCKING COLD.

Other than that, I think everything's fine. I bought a charcoal gray suit. Alty is still awesome. I am having a sort of love/hate relationship with my physics class.

For some reason it is absolutely cold as FUCK today.

Midterms are incompatible with our way of life, extremists and probably rapists.  We should send them back where they came from.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 31, 2016, 02:14:32 AM

Well, I won't speak for him other than to say when last I chatted with him on the subject he was very serious about it. I don't know if it will prove truly permanent, but it certainly seems so. I'll leave it to folks actually involved to tell the tale.

Well, Roger and his horrible racist kids, wife, and parents, who - because they are voting for Sanders - are racists and just exactly like Trump voters and Libertarians.  We're practicing for the election with a nightstick and a dummy with a picture of Eric Garner stapled to its face.  We feel that we have to do our part.

But mostly just Roger, who is the worst friend ever because he, yanno, includes his friends in things that they can choose to ignore, if that's what they want or have to do.  Because he's a total cunt who has never acted like a proper friend in his life, and should be publicly shamed for, um, including people in stuff.

Or maybe it was just time for you to shit on someone again.  One or the other.  In any case, I was forced to choose between my dignity and our friendship, and as you can mostly likely tell from the tone of this post, I have in fact made my decision.

I'll be fucking back off now.  A shout out to the "helpful" soul that pointed this post out to me.  You can eat the peanuts outta my shit, too.

TGRR,
Racist guy that gets lazy and bans racists.  Or words to that effect.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

President Television

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2016, 04:13:00 AM

Well, Roger and his horrible racist kids, wife, and parents, who - because they are voting for Sanders - are racists and just exactly like Trump voters and Libertarians.  We're practicing for the election with a nightstick and a dummy with a picture of Eric Garner stapled to its face.  We feel that we have to do our part.

But mostly just Roger, who is the worst friend ever because he, yanno, includes his friends in things that they can choose to ignore, if that's what they want or have to do.  Because he's a total cunt who has never acted like a proper friend in his life, and should be publicly shamed for, um, including people in stuff.

Or maybe it was just time for you to shit on someone again.  One or the other.  In any case, I was forced to choose between my dignity and our friendship, and as you can mostly likely tell from the tone of this post, I have in fact made my decision.

I'll be fucking back off now.  A shout out to the "helpful" soul that pointed this post out to me.  You can eat the peanuts outta my shit, too.

TGRR,

Dude, I think Sanders is the best available option for US President, but even I'll admit that there are some pretty racist undertones to broad swathes of his supporters' rhetoric, and it's pretty clear that Nigel was joking about that way back when that thread happened, and that it was a general rather than universal statement. Bernie Sanders himself doesn't seem to be pushing a racist agenda, and supporting him doesn't make someone a racist, but acting like black people "owe him" their votes does, and while I can't speak for Nigel, I do pretty strongly perceive that to be what she was getting at.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: President Television on January 31, 2016, 05:28:47 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2016, 04:13:00 AM

TGRR,

Dude, I think Sanders is the best available option for US President, but even I'll admit that there are some pretty racist undertones to broad swathes of his supporters' rhetoric, and it's pretty clear that Nigel was joking about that way back when that thread happened, and that it was a general rather than universal statement. Bernie Sanders himself doesn't seem to be pushing a racist agenda, and supporting him doesn't make someone a racist, but acting like black people "owe him" their votes does, and while I can't speak for Nigel, I do pretty strongly perceive that to be what she was getting at.

Yeah, no.  What she said was:

QuoteWhat do right-wing Fundamentalists, Libertarians, and Bernie Sanders supporters all have in common?

QuoteRacism.

I don't feel I need to comment on the shaming hilarity, because that's as self-evident as it gets.

So I don't feel it's "pretty clear", and it was most definitely a broad brush.  An intentional broad brush, for everyone that doesn't agree with Nigel's personal political views.  If you do not agree with her in detail, you are a racist, which is all kinds of awesome.  It's the best thing to happen to political dialogue since "If you've done nothing wrong, you have nothing to be worried about."

So don't tell me what I fucking saw.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hey Cain, I can't remember; are you pursuing a PhD? Mostly just idle curiosity, but it occurred to me to wonder during a random Facebook thread today.

Cain

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 01, 2016, 02:28:09 AM
Hey Cain, I can't remember; are you pursuing a PhD? Mostly just idle curiosity, but it occurred to me to wonder during a random Facebook thread today.

Not yet.  What I'm doing is called an M.Litt, which is effectively the highest form of a Masters degree that you can do in the UK system, and is equivalent to the first 2 years of a doctorate.

My hope is that this will be a springboard into a PhD, whether that's a full 3 year course or just one year (I would actually rather 3 years in some respects, though 1 to get it out of the way would be nice.  I'm unclear on how feasible that is though).

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 01, 2016, 07:34:04 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 01, 2016, 02:28:09 AM

Not yet.  What I'm doing is called an M.Litt, which is effectively the highest form of a Masters degree that you can do in the UK system, and is equivalent to the first 2 years of a doctorate.

My hope is that this will be a springboard into a PhD, whether that's a full 3 year course or just one year (I would actually rather 3 years in some respects, though 1 to get it out of the way would be nice.  I'm unclear on how feasible that is though).

Cool! That seems like a good path to pursue, in terms of staging you either for consulting or for PhD research.

Pæs

Coworker came into work today with a POPE card issued by Gavriel. So, I guess Discordia is successful now.