News:

So essentially, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend, he's just another moronic, entitled turd in the bucket.

Main Menu

OPEN BAR: Tough on bars, tough on the causes of bars

Started by Cain, November 10, 2015, 12:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on February 11, 2016, 01:25:24 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 11, 2016, 02:43:41 AM
Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2016, 11:47:05 PM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 10, 2016, 11:40:43 PM
Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2016, 11:26:01 PM
After nearly a week...new episode up.

Nice!

I wrecked my voice doing a 90 minute video this afternoon.

Not the one linked...one or two episodes from now.  Did Red Eagle, Valtheim Towers and Saarthal in 3 episodes.  My character is almost as sore and bruised as my throat.

Jesus, what were you DOING? I suppose I should anticipate turning the volume down when you post that one.  :lulz:

Killing all the things.  I just got caught up in the moment, mostly.  Started the first major questline, and then did the first quest associated with it.  Almost froze to death.  The usual.

I want to play game. :( Soon, all this school madness will be over and I will have a temporary reprieve in which to play Skyrim.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Had my mock interview yesterday, and my research advisor said that I did excellently and she thinks I will nail the real deal. I sure hope so! Today I pick up my suit pants.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Freeky

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Thanks!

I hace pance-suit. I hace professionally-looking blouse things. I am ready!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Today, I noticed that someone had added me to a politics and sociology group, so I checked it out. It was full of semi-familiar names, I assume from other Discordian groups. The dialogue, though, revolved almost entirely around racism and feminism, and as I read through I realized exactly what the driving factor behind "disco" FB groups is; most of these people are actually stupid as fuck. I mean, just plain plumb-bob stupid. They're in there DEBATING THINGS THAT HAVE FACTUAL ANSWERS THEY COULD JUST LOOK UP. There were a few people with functional intellects fighting the good fight, but it was pretty evident that they were frustrated and discouraged by the tide of idiocy pressing back at them.

So that kind of made me wonder; due in large part to this forum, and well as the members of the Pigdog Cabal who introduced me to Discordianism in the Bay area ca. 1993, I am accustomed to Discordians being some of the smartest people I know, as well as the least likely to cling to outdated modes of thinking (status quo of racism, sexism, etc.) simply because they're comfortable. These FB Discos are (mostly) blithering fucking idiots with little education and minimal critical thinking skills, dinosaurically defending 20th-century-status-quo modes of thought. They seem, in many ways, to be the opposite of neophiles; it's more like some of them are using "disco" as a cover for their teabagger impulses. What is it that attracts them to Discordianism, then? Is it that they perceive it as a philosophy in which reality and critical thinking can be set aside completely, allowing them to feel smart in a reality where empirical facts are relegated to the status of mere opinion? Do they feel like it gives them license to be "edgy", using the excuse of not being "PC"?

Vanadium Gryllz

It seems to me like Facebook selects for the lowest common denominator - perhaps it is inevitable that as the pool of people that can have input into a topic increases the average intelligence goes down. When everyone has a voice it's not the most insightful that will rise to the top it's the voice that the majority agrees with. This is a problem that sites like Reddit face as well.

I think that this forum, in contrast, benefits from it's smaller membership. It helps that a lot of the regulars are, as you mention, pretty smart.

I've noticed that there is a sort of self-protecting attitude in this forum where any posts/posters that are of the Facebook Disco variety get so verbally harangued they either give up or change their tune pretty sharpish. It makes for quite an intimidating posting atmosphere. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Xaz on February 12, 2016, 12:33:29 PM
It seems to me like Facebook selects for the lowest common denominator - perhaps it is inevitable that as the pool of people that can have input into a topic increases the average intelligence goes down. When everyone has a voice it's not the most insightful that will rise to the top it's the voice that the majority agrees with. This is a problem that sites like Reddit face as well.

I think that this forum, in contrast, benefits from it's smaller membership. It helps that a lot of the regulars are, as you mention, pretty smart.

I've noticed that there is a sort of self-protecting attitude in this forum where any posts/posters that are of the Facebook Disco variety get so verbally harangued they either give up or change their tune pretty sharpish. It makes for quite an intimidating posting atmosphere. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I think you have good points about both the self-selection on Facebook and the protective nature of the forums. I was thinking last night about the few decent groups I'm in on Facebook, and what they all seem to have in common is a combination of good admins and a low tolerance for bullshit. It seems like if you don't call the bullshit out, bullshitters proliferate until all you're left with is noise and no signal.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Or you end up with the one-trick ponies who have figured out one way to get people to pay attention to them, so they basically do it over and over and over and over and over again. It's actually kind of sad.

Junkenstein

QuoteDo they feel like it gives them license to be "edgy", using the excuse of not being "PC"?

Yes.

QuoteI think that this forum, in contrast, benefits from it's smaller membership. It helps that a lot of the regulars are, as you mention, pretty smart.

No. This leads to SGITR.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Junkenstein on February 12, 2016, 02:52:23 PM
QuoteDo they feel like it gives them license to be "edgy", using the excuse of not being "PC"?

Yes.

QuoteI think that this forum, in contrast, benefits from it's smaller membership. It helps that a lot of the regulars are, as you mention, pretty smart.

No. This leads to SGITR.

You don't become a SGiTR by getting used to being one of many smart people. You get it by getting used to being the only smart person around for so long that you come to assume  that you are the only smart person everywhere you go. I actually think that Facebook groups foster the phenomenon, because if you happen to be one above-average person in a pool of morons, pretty soon you come to assume that you'll always be the smartest person in any given company. I think that's why so many people come here to tell us what; it worked on Facebook, and they think they'll just pop in and become instant celebrities here. Then they spout some stupid bullshit, and instead of becoming the adoring fanbase they expected, people here go "Yeah actually I think that was pretty bad reasoning, let me explain why". Butthurt ensues, and ultimately they decide to go back to Facebook or Reddit or Tumblr or Twitter, where they have a lowest-common-denominator crowd to tell them how smart they sound when they use big words.

Cain

One of the smartest facebook groups I'm part of has almost no-one giving their personal opinions.

The problem is Facebook encourages people to think their opinions are important, when they're mostly junk and garbage.  I'm also semi-convinced the current 20something generation has been chewing lead paint chips, because someone told them it was bad and they wanted to be contrarian.  FB is no worse than Reddit...which does suggest an age and possibly social media thing.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 12, 2016, 03:05:39 PM

Yes.

No. This leads to SGITR.

You don't become a SGiTR by getting used to being one of many smart people. You get it by getting used to being the only smart person around for so long that you come to assume  that you are the only smart person everywhere you go. I actually think that Facebook groups foster the phenomenon, because if you happen to be one above-average person in a pool of morons, pretty soon you come to assume that you'll always be the smartest person in any given company. I think that's why so many people come here to tell us what; it worked on Facebook, and they think they'll just pop in and become instant celebrities here. Then they spout some stupid bullshit, and instead of becoming the adoring fanbase they expected, people here go "Yeah actually I think that was pretty bad reasoning, let me explain why". Butthurt ensues, and ultimately they decide to go back to Facebook or Reddit or Tumblr or Twitter, where they have a lowest-common-denominator crowd to tell them how smart they sound when they use big words.

I'm tempted to give an example using RWHN but I suspect I would only prove your point further.

Conceded.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Reading a lot of the posts here makes me feel dumb on the daily.

It's a good kind of dumb though - dumb by comparison rather than dumb by association.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on February 12, 2016, 03:05:39 PM

Yes.

No. This leads to SGITR.

Facebook groups are really fascinating. It's just Dunning Kruger all over the place. One particularly strange event was when some dude was trying to give legal advice to someone, and the actual lawyer in the conversation was like, "seriously, don't listen to this guy, he's giving you terrible advice."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS