News:

Testimonial: "I cannot see a slither of a viable defense for this godawful circlejerk board."

Main Menu

Outline of a campaign

Started by Pergamos, December 06, 2015, 02:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

Trying to decide if guns should be as realistic as possible or more cinematic.  GURPS has a book for each.

The Wizard Joseph

How combat oriented do you want the campaign? If you and the players enjoy a gritty, intricate realism combat should reflect that. If you're going for high adventure use cinematic rules and save yourself a bunch of headache arguing about LOS and whether you can reach cover in one move or need to drop prone. That's how I see it anyway. Just make sure that they feel the loss of ammo from inventory. 1 combat with "Hollywood clip" rules can ruin a serious campaign.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Pergamos

LoS is easy because I am using miniatures.  If there's a dispute we just use a straightedge and check.  Clip capacities are important, both for the players and for the bad guys.  I figure there is going to be at least one battle every game session, I need to ask the players about how gritty they want that to be, one is serving in the military, but it's airforce so I don't know how up he is on guns, and I know Roger was in the actually gun using part of the military.  The group I used to run one of the players was a big fan of guns, so it was a good idea to go as realistic as possible.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Pergamos on June 15, 2016, 04:37:46 AM
LoS is easy because I am using miniatures.  If there's a dispute we just use a straightedge and check.  Clip capacities are important, both for the players and for the bad guys.  I figure there is going to be at least one battle every game session, I need to ask the players about how gritty they want that to be, one is serving in the military, but it's airforce so I don't know how up he is on guns, and I know Roger was in the actually gun using part of the military.  The group I used to run one of the players was a big fan of guns, so it was a good idea to go as realistic as possible.

GURPS can definitely get you the realism! I guess the only real concern then is the effects of magic on technology and drawing the lines on compatibility between worlds where appropriate. Like actually having a technologist on the team could be as important as a medic, perhaps especially in a higher-mana world that would surely present novel challenges to keeping vital equipment functioning.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Pergamos

So far the team consists of two mages from the invisible college, one a Jewish woman who has been studying kabballah and specializes in charm magic the other a callous woman who wields a crowbar which makes people burn from the inside out.  An American cop, in Ho Chi Minh city on an exchange.  He only recently discovered that he has magical aptitude, and has inherited an extensive magical research library but has not yet taken time to study it.  And an Infinity agent who was the subject of an experiment to alter the time rate of a subject.  He lives twice as fast as most people and uses a machine pistol to cover everything in sight with bullets.

Pergamos

A student from Illuminati University will be arriving as well.  He belongs to the Infinity fraternity, which may lead to interesting confusion...

Pergamos

And the final character, a Russian Boxer, might of frame but puny of mind. He owes a favor to A Chinese offical and will be called in as extra muscle.

Pergamos

Diao Li, Chinese trade official has been found dead in his apartment.  All evidence suggests that he was murdered during an intimate encounter and the woman in question was nowhere to be found.  Shang Da, a Chinese military liason, has requested that Mike Callahan handle the case, this is due to his concerns about police corruption and the possibility that the murder was connected to the parties which have corrupted the police.  He also provided Mike with several unusual foreign consultants.  Unknown to Mike and Yasha the Russian boxer these consultants are from another dimension, and so are Shang Da and Diao Li.  Diao Li was, in fact, impersonating a doppelganger of the version of him in this dimension.  He was a Chinese official from the Homeline version of China who had an interdimensional conveyer, that conveyer has vanished.  Shang Da is also an agent for another dimension,  He is a master illusionist from the Invisible college in Assiah, he has used illusion to make himself appear to be a Chinese military Liason, the location of the real Shang Da is known only to the illusionist who has replaced him.  Mike and the consultants examined the crime scene and had it dusted for prints.  They discovered an address and time in the pocket of Diao Li's pants.  After interviewing his secretary, who discovered the body but had nearly nothing of import to say, they went to visit Shang Da's office and arranged for him to cast an illusory image of Diao Li on Mike.  They scouted out the warehouse, then returned to have the illusion bestowed.  Mike and Yasha approached the door, Miriya, the mind control mage, attempted to establish a telepathic link with Yasha.  It failed spectacularly and resulted in a boom, a flash of light, and a stench of sulfur.  This brought gunmen running to the door, they appeared shocked to see Diao Li, and there was a moment of chaos.  Miriya and Elsa, the mages, struck the first of them with foolishness but it was not long before the leader was shouting orders.  One gunman ran for the back door while the rest readied their weapons.  Another gunman was struck foolish, to an even more extreme degree, shots were exchanged, as well as boxing blows from Yasha, Elsa teleported to the other side of the building and slammed the door a few times as well as mentally impairing the escaping gunman.  Both Mike and the leader of the gunmen spent most o their time laying prone, exchanging fire. Finally the gunmen were incapacitated and Miriya charmed the leader, who revealed that they worked for the notorious gangster Nam Cam, who had a business relationship with Diao Li and they were waiting to ambush his killer.  He and his surviving minions were released alive, with a message to Nam Cam that it had been an unfortunate mistake and the party hoped future hostilities could be avoided.

The Good Reverend Roger

I feel that Mike isn't being given his fair share of glory.  After being knocked on his ass, he shot 6 bad guys in the legs, on account of FUCK STANDING UP IN A FIREFIGHT.

:lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Pergamos

This is true.  He was the king of kneecapping.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on September 04, 2016, 03:30:07 AM
This is true.  He was the king of kneecapping.

Mama Callahan raised no fools.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Pergamos

The group continued to the Plum where they encountered a rather hostile secretary who asked for an appointment, a failed attempt at charm caused her to produce a dart pistol which resulted in her being blown away.   The "masseuses" were more cooperative, revealing that the place was owned by Nam Cam and run by Dung Ha,  they also revealed that Sakura and several other girls had been taken away by Dung Ha that morning.  They told the party there was one customer in the premises but they declined to disturb him.  The body was dumped in the river and on the way back the party was attacked by bikers, Elsa was shot badly enough to fall unconscious but otherwise the party emerged relatively unscathed and Dexter took one of the bikes to modify for remote control.  Mike was quite kind to a captured biker, treating his wounds and giving him bourbon and a taxi ride home.  He had a drink with Tranh Binh who invited him to Nam Cam's party the following evening at the Tan Hai Ha.

The Good Reverend Roger

I shot the secretary because she was rude.

LMNO

"Shot until she was unconscious" is relatively unscathed?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO on September 11, 2016, 05:35:44 PM
"Shot until she was unconscious" is relatively unscathed?

when a meth-crazed biker shoots you in the chest with an Uzi from 10 feet away and someone decided to save on weight by not wearing body armor? 

Yes.