Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: axod on January 05, 2016, 08:03:54 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on January 01, 2016, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: axod on January 01, 2016, 10:22:36 AM
Quote from: Mesozoic Mister Nigel on December 31, 2015, 08:07:29 PM
Quote from: axod on December 31, 2015, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: themanwhocreatedjazz on December 30, 2015, 02:54:42 PM
To be fair, he lived a pretty long time considering the lifestyle he led.
This is that reasoning again, right here, really.  Go fuck yourself

The reasoning that if you physically trash your body with drugs, alcohol, and indiscriminate sexual activity, it's not too shabby to make it to 70?

Can you point out what's wrong with the logic, or are you just going to have a temper tantrum over it?

Well, seeing how everyone dies, perhaps making sense of it right now as the consequence of his non-traditional lifestyle is just something I find objectionable.

Is it making light, though? You may be reading that in yourself. I read it as "Wow, he had a good run for someone who ran so hard".

It is also possible that you are far more emotionally invested than others, who are trying to make conversation about a performer they don't really think about very much at all. Much like the absurd level of defensiveness you see in Bernie Sanders supporters whenever someone makes a joke about him, you may simply be so emotionally invested in Lemmy as a hero-figure that it brings you emotional pain when someone says something that you perceive as disrespectful of your hero, regardless of their intention.

Myself, I don't give a fuck and barely know who Lemmy is. I am totally unfamiliar with Motorhead's music. It's a stretch for me to really even be involved in this conversation at all because I do not actually care, beyond being interested that you told someone to go fuck themselves because they observed that 70 is not bad for a guy who was so hard on his body.
Thing is, it's not about that.  It's about respecting the recently departed, regardless.  The potential lost is greater than any reason you serve as explanation.

I myself am not a fan of shitting on people's graves or celebrating their death. However, I don't personally think that observing that someone made it pretty far given the circumstances is disrespectful. You are free to disagree, but you can't impose your brand of morality on everyone else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The best you can do is pose a convincing argument for it, and hope it catches on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

axod

My attempts at prescriptive morality eventually fall into self-contradiction.  That, to be fair, is what happens when I try to reason with the subject of death.  A Sardinian Shepard in a past life never told me nothing about whispering a little word to someone's ear.  [I'm afraid my attempt at charicature is lacking somewhat]
just this