News:

Mr Rogers is above all that nonsense.

Main Menu

Something I've been working on.....

Started by Chelagoras The Boulder, January 01, 2016, 10:34:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelagoras The Boulder

Right so i was thinking about "tests" for media, like the Bechdel or Mako Mori tests. This got me thinking about some other tests that could be useful for examining media and so i sat down with a writer friend of mine and hashed these tests out, lemme know what you think. First up:

The Steve Rogers Test
Purpose: to weed out toxic and stereotypical depictions of masculinity in TV and movies.
Criteria:
-Male protagonist must display a willful alignment w/ Good
-MP must publicly display emotions other than anger or lust
-MP must not be portrayed as weak for displaying morality
-MP must have an emotional relationship with another character that is neither sexual nor familial

The Takeo-Yamato Test
Purpose: to provide a healthy and realistic view of relationships in TV and movies.
- It must be clear why both partners are together; what they "get" out of being together, even if that thing is not necessarily positive
- The relationship is not portrayed as "inevitable", both partners must have to invest in the relationship in order to maintain it
- Both partners must actively choose to be in the relationship.

Currently working on one for Lampshading Toxic Masculinity, calling it the Frank Murphy Test, but these are the two i have so far.
"It isn't who you know, it's who you know, if you know what I mean.  And I think you do."