News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

Turkey shoots down Russian Jet

Started by Pergamos, November 25, 2015, 04:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pergamos

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/middleeast/warplane-crashes-near-syria-turkey-border/

Not only did they shoot don the jet, they shot the pilot out of the sky. I don't think Russia wants war with NATO over this, but still, not good news.

Cain

I'm sure that won't stop Putin from using it as a wedge issue to ratchet tensions between Turkey and the rest of NATO by pretending he'll consider war over it.

Nothing official, of course, but he did just send a much of missile systems to Syria, for example.

Cain

39 Turkish businessmen arrested in Moscow today.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Pergamos on November 25, 2015, 04:26:34 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/24/middleeast/warplane-crashes-near-syria-turkey-border/

Not only did they shoot don the jet, they shot the pilot out of the sky. I don't think Russia wants war with NATO over this, but still, not good news.

Turkey shot the plane down.  Nearby Turkman rebels killed the airman.

"New video published on social media by a Syrian rebel group allegedly shows Turkmen rebels shooting at the two ejected pilots landing on the border between Turkey and Syria."
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Here's the kicker though: the Turkmen Syrian group is led by an alleged member of the Grey Wolves organization.

QuoteIn the late 1970s, former military prosecutor and Turkish Supreme Court Justice Emin Değer documented collaboration between the Grey Wolves and Counter-Guerrilla—the Turkish stay-behind anti-communist organization, part of NATO planning which was supposed to prepare networks for guerrilla warfare in case of a Soviet invasion—and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). Martin Lee writes that the Counter-Guerrilla supplied weapons to the Grey Wolves,[8] while according to Tim Jacoby, the CIA overtly transferred guns and explosives to Grey Wolf units through an agent in the 1970s.[113]

During the Susurluk scandal of 1996 the Grey Wolves were accused of being members of the Counter-Guerrilla, the Turkish branch of Operation Gladio.[114] Abdullah Çatlı, second in command of the Grey Wolves leadership,[8] was killed during the Susurluk car crash, which sparked the scandal. The April 1997 report of the Turkish National Assembly's investigative committee "offered considerable evidence of close ties between state authorities and criminal gangs, including the use of the Grey Wolves to carry out illegal activities."[115]

In the 2008 the Ergenekon trials a court document revealed that the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) armed and funded Grey Wolves members to carry out political murders.[116] They mostly targeted members of the Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia (ASALA),[116] which attacked Turkish embassies abroad in retaliation of the denial of the Armenian Genocide. The Turkish intelligence services also made use of the Grey Wolves in the conflict against the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) by offering them amnesty in exchange.[24][117]

Their helicopter was shot down by an American weapon, given to a man belonging to a group like that?  The GRU are not strong believers in coincidence.  They think the provocation was staged (and not without good reason), so they're almost certainly considering the followup in a similar light.

Personally, I do think it was coincidence, at least with regards to the weapon.  Lots of American weapons in that part of the world, they could've picked it up anywhere.  But it does pay to be suspicious of Turkey.

themanwhocreatedjazz

MMIX

Turkey shoots down Russian Jet

Obama pardons it anyway
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber