News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Job Search Question

Started by Nast, January 15, 2016, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

So I'm trying to apply for a job at a privately-owned bed and breakfast. Would it be a good move to pop over there in person to introduce myself and ask if they are hiring, and if so, for what position? Or is this obnoxious? I just ask because in the past I've gotten into awkward situations for doing this (the people at the establishment were busy and stressed out and didn't want to deal with me, the person I talked to wasn't even sure if the place was hiring or not, etc.).

I'm worried that if I ask via email, I'll just be ignored or given a vague fluff-off answer.

I'm happy to hear of your advice on best how to approach this.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Eater of Clowns

I would think stopping by in person would be looked upon favorably, so long as the questions are framed in a way to suggest that you're genuinely curious and not looking for special treatment. If you're then directed to a website to apply, thank them enthusiastically and do that, shortly after. Have questions ready in case you meet a hiring manager, so that you're not fumbling through your first impression.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Faust

A personal introduction makes a huge difference, avoid breakfast or times that they will be busy.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Thanks guys! I'll go there in my best pantsuit.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

East Coast Hustle

Weekday. Make sure you go on a weekday. Ideally between 11am and 2pm when checkouts should be over and check-ins haven't happened yet. Should be the most likely time for you to actually be able to talk to someone in charge without it being a pain in their ass.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nast

Quote from: East Coast Hustle on January 19, 2016, 06:00:13 AM
Weekday. Make sure you go on a weekday. Ideally between 11am and 2pm when checkouts should be over and check-ins haven't happened yet. Should be the most likely time for you to actually be able to talk to someone in charge without it being a pain in their ass.

This is useful information. Thanks!