News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I think the UK should have been negotiating with itself for about 4-5 years before article 50 was signed.

Figure out a stance and go into negotiation with that, not go in suggest something and come home to be told by the old ball and chain (Arlene) that these are not acceptable.

So in the short term, if the EU summit is missed, we'll start seeing businesses activating contingency plans. Some will be bad for the UK, expect manufacturers first, then the financials. The clearing houses will be making their mind up in November, which will be bad for the EU and bad for the world, 2008 here we come.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Yes, a general deal should have been agreed by tomorrow's EU summit, as I recall.

Things are going to unravel from this point.

Cain

20 minutes behind the headlines:

QuoteEU leaders have scrapped plans to discuss and publish a draft declaration this week on the bloc's future trade deal with the UK after the derailment of the talks over the Irish border, in a blow to Theresa May.

An outline of an agreement was due to be "on the table" at a summit dinner of leaders on Wednesday night, before which the prime minister is scheduled to address the 27 other EU heads of state.

Developments on Sunday, when the Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, refused to sign off on an agreement on the Irish border, have brought the carefully choreographed plans to a halt.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2018, 11:58:33 AM
20 minutes behind the headlines:

QuoteEU leaders have scrapped plans to discuss and publish a draft declaration this week on the bloc's future trade deal with the UK after the derailment of the talks over the Irish border, in a blow to Theresa May.

An outline of an agreement was due to be "on the table" at a summit dinner of leaders on Wednesday night, before which the prime minister is scheduled to address the 27 other EU heads of state.

Developments on Sunday, when the Brexit secretary, Dominic Raab, refused to sign off on an agreement on the Irish border, have brought the carefully choreographed plans to a halt.

I felt bad because I had a Trump, then I saw that my neighbor had an infinite number of Trumps.
Molon Lube

Cain

The EU, in a rare sign of foreign policy competency, actually planned for this.

While it was hoped the draft would be finalised at the EU summit happening tomorrow, they factored in the possibility of talks falling through and November being the actual final chance to negotiate something before the December EU summit.

However, that at least part of the problem is that the UK is failing to negotiate because of it's own preconditions does...not inspire confidence.

Faust

On the radio (bbc) this morning John Humphries was interviewing our Brexit minister Simon Covney.
So it was going fine, disagreeing, but fine, until humphries started asking about "The wall". There's a long pause where Covney doesn't understand what he is getting at.
It appears some No Deal brexiters believe there will be a wall built for the border in NI.

This wall would make the Maga Kahn turn even more orange with envy.

Not only would it be the most expensive and largest manmade structure on the planet but would take the most complex route available, going through awkward weaving patterns through peoples land, through houses, sinusoidal curves, randomly doubling back on itself through historically gerrymandered land from Muff to Warren point. The US at least has large swaths of uninhabited desert, but pretty much the entire length of the NI border has people living on both sides or down the centre of the border.

To be honest I'm all for it. a 500B project with the entire construction industry of europe would be great for local investment, and the end result is a monument that spits in the eye of god while shitting on the tower of babel.

Cain

Quotemost expensive and largest manmade structure on the planet

Until the bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland is built, anyway.  You know, the one Boris Johnson promised everyone a few weeks back.  The completely impossible one from an engineering point of view.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 17, 2018, 05:09:51 PM
Quotemost expensive and largest manmade structure on the planet

Until the bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland is built, anyway.  You know, the one Boris Johnson promised everyone a few weeks back.  The completely impossible one from an engineering point of view.

Nothing is actually impossible.  All it takes is time and money.  Lots and lots of time and money.

Molon Lube

Cain

Well, it's possible, until a storm rolls in.  Then it's a very expensive mistake.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 17, 2018, 06:30:02 PM
Well, it's possible, until a storm rolls in.  Then it's a very expensive mistake.

That's included in the money part.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

Cain

We could use that 400 million a week we were going to put into the NHS into repairing the same bridge, over and over again.

Also, news on the Brexit front.  Barnier has said he would be open to extending negotiations, for up to another year even.  However, May has thus far refused to mention it at the EU summit.  According to sources in the Tory party, if she was to take that deal, they would instantly move for a vote of no confidence against her, one she is of course not guaranteed to survive.

Cain

It looks like Theresa May is edging towards a "long transition" plan that will see the UK effectively stay in the EU for several years.  It's not confirmed, but if this happens it could be the spark that sees half the cabinet quit and calls for a vote of no confidence.

"The People's Vote" protest went off without a hitch, and was completely irrelevant.  This is a Tory party civil war now (feat. the DUP), everyone else's opinions don't matter.  Not to mention in living memory the government completely ignored a far larger protest in order to invade Iraq, and a lot of those politicians are still around and don't think there was anything terribly wrong with that (you could argue that was Blair and Labour, and that's true, but the Tories also voted in favour of going to war).

The National Audit Office has warned that there will not be a functioning border in the event of a No Deal Brexit due to insufficient staff and time.  Qouth the report: "This, combined with the UK's potential loss of access to EU law enforcement and national security tools, could create security weaknesses which the government would need to address urgently." 

The government is also making plans to charter ships to bring in food and drugs in the event of a no deal.  With what money has not been specified, I would not be surprised if we needed to draftships under emergency powers for this to be fully effective.

Faust

So it seems May has gone for the "worst bits of all options" as opposed to the flaming wreckage of no deal.
Tomorrow it will be torn to shreds and either the government will collapse or the no deal measures will be triggered.

The backstop is there for NI, which means DUP (who dont want it) and SNP (who do want it but cant have it) will be voting this down, only hope this would have of getting through the house is with labor rebels but I dont see it happening.

Cain

On the plus side, that a potential deal has been agreed to by the Cabinet now means that those who might want to impede it will have to own a no deal Brexit, should it come to pass.

My chief worry is that there are enough idiots who really believe no deal is better than a bad deal and are willing to own trashing the deal, if not the consequences further down the line.

Cain

The chaos has started.  3 resignations, and while the DUP don't seem to be actively taking steps thus far, they are cheerleading the dissenters.