News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on December 19, 2018, 11:36:14 PM
I think I am just starting to panic, this ride isn't fun any more and the door handle wont work.

The angel of apathy will be along shortly.
Molon Lube

Cain

Hah, if only.

This is NEVER going to end.  Even if May's bill passes, we have yet to negotiate an actual trade deal with Europe. We will have 2 years to do what Canada did in 10, with less experience in negotiating.

All while Leavers cry that May has betrayed us, and Remainers try to build support to re-renter the EU and centrist MPs dither....This is not going to stop.

Cain

Today's poll must be disturbing reading for the Cabinet.

In a 3 way referendum between no deal, May's deal or staying in the EU, 57% of Tory party members prefer no deal.

If it were a referendum just on no deal versus May's deal, 64% would take no deal.

If May's plan was to force her deal through by making the alternatives completely unpalatable, its clearly not working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faust

What a disaster. I keep seeing comments to the effect of "allow no deal so the EU can suffer, then they will negotiate properly".
A crash out without a deal means the backstop and NI will always be waiting, with a veto behind it. The UK could end up locked in a Turkey-- arrangement where it proposes something (without a backstop) and gets vetoed, that could go on for years.
We're stockpiling at work now. The export rate to the UK in no deal will be 20% from the EU, if the UK doesn't pay back the 39Bn that's to be extracted in tariffs also, and we are unsure if the UK will follow through with the "We can set our import tariffs to 0" if they need to recoup cash.
They are trying to keep it quiet at work as well but they will be offering relocation to Ireland for our UK staff.

On the semi bright side it looks like energy costs are going to soar because NI will need to be self sustaining, which for us means a bit of job security as our revenue is tied to that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

How quickly will the black market adapt to a no-deal Brexit, do you think?

MMIX

Quote from: LMNO on January 04, 2019, 01:35:30 PM

I suspect they are orchestrating it as we speak . . .
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

I'm hoping they are ramping up, as it might keep the cost of goods low.

Ireland and the UK has established supply chains for the black market, there's an old adage that most of the drugs that enter europe come through Ireland and it could just be an old wives tale but occasionally we get things like this:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/cocaine-found-off-cork-coast-valued-at-440m-trial-hears-63676.html

Cain

Police are also being seconded to Northern Ireland.

Faust

Christ, it's actually come to this, troubles mark II in 3 months and counting

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on January 04, 2019, 01:35:30 PM

Well at least one super dodgy "ferry" company is doing well.

Cain

Faust

Worst vote result in UK government history isn't it?
I don't know what to make of it, I see people slating May but I don't see what other deal could ever have been reached, they would all require the backstop, or NI to be treated differently to the rest of the UK.
So the choice is now no deal, or remain right?
I've started seeing people saying "let no deal happen, then the EU will REALLY start to negotiate" but what I see happening is the UK approaching the EU for small things (access to Europol, citrus goods etc) and getting vetoed unless the backstop is the first thing on the agenda.
Even Greece which had 30 years of vetoing Turkey would occasionally allow stuff through for massive bribes. Ireland will only ever have one requirement.
It looks like massive economic catastrophe for Ireland and the UK. Ireland knows what it feels like from experience, but it can now be part of it and the UK's shared cultural experience.

All of this seems so pointless, we live in the haunted relic of Cameron's ego

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2019, 11:26:03 PM
I don't know what to make of it, I see people slating May but I don't see what other deal could ever have been reached, they would all require the backstop, or NI to be treated differently to the rest of the UK.
I've started seeing people saying "let no deal happen, then the EU will REALLY start to negotiate" but what I see happening is the UK approaching the EU for small things (access to Europol, citrus goods etc) and getting vetoed unless the backstop is the first thing on the agenda.
Even Greece which had 30 years of vetoing Turkey would occasionally allow stuff through for massive bribes. Ireland will only ever have one requirement.
It looks like massive economic catastrophe for Ireland and the UK. Ireland knows what it feels like from experience, but it can now be part of it and the UK's shared cultural experience.

No deal seems to imply the more or less instant collapse of the UK.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 16, 2019, 12:18:39 AM
Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2019, 11:26:03 PM

No deal seems to imply the more or less instant collapse of the UK.
Probably, could trigger a chain reaction like 2008 as well depending on how much exposure the banks have