News:

One of our core values:  "THEY REFILLED MY RITALIN AND BY THE WAY I WANNA EAT YOUR BEAR HEAD."

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

May's simultaneously saying she doesn't have enough votes to get her deal past Parliament but that she will reject every deal Parliament attempts out of hand.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Junkenstien

Quote from: Cain on March 25, 2019, 04:21:12 PM
May's simultaneously saying she doesn't have enough votes to get her deal past Parliament but that she will reject every deal Parliament attempts out of hand.

It's got funnier.

May quitting when MP's back the deal that can't be brought before parliament without meaningful change. Bercow clear weeks ago that more support is not actually a change. Usual faces now playing the leadership game.

Various indicative votes trying to find some kind of consensus for anything. I think we can all guess how well that will go.

Cain

Also Boris "Moses" Johnson throwing his political convictions to the wind the moment it looks like he can launch a leadership bid.

Junkenstien

Gove touted as a possibility. How? I thought he'd managed to throw nearly everyone under a bus by now.

Other contenders include "Fuck international Law" Javid and Leadsom. Which are just horrifying in their own ways. I take small solace in the fact that whoever ends up as PM, they will be held in utter contempt regardless of any of their actions.

Faust

In the game of the blind parliament feeling up the elephant, "No", one every vote:

No deal    160:400
        Common Market 2.0    188:283
        EFTA and EEA    65:367    
        Customs union    264:272
        Labour's alternative plan    237:307
        Revocation to avoid no deal    184:293
        Confirmatory public vote    268:295
        Contingent preferential arrangements    139:422

So they definitely dont want no deal
They don't want a Norway style deal
They definitely don't want full EEA membership
Could be tempted with a customs union (How this differs from EEA or the Norway customs union I don't know)
They definitely dont want the customs union described above, but from Corbyn
They don't want to revoke to avoid no deal (which means no deal is still the likely outcome as this happens in the absence of action)
Could be tempted to inflict these choice on an already weary public, but would prefer not to.
And I have no idea what a  Contingent preferential arrangements or why people are calling them managed no deal but it seems no one wants that.

By gathering the above broken shards of glass, piecing them together and driving them deep into my taint, I have been able to gain insight, that all of this should be avoided, however it would appear the UK has voted to cease to exist as it has rejected all possible outcomes.

Failing that, the closest option that loosely falls into that pattern, is Mays deal.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Which will not be voted on again unless it undegoes significant changes, as per Bercow.

So once again, No Deal creeps closer, because neither Parliament nor the Government can actually decide on a course of action.

Cain

And even if it is voted on and passes, since May has now promised to step down, if an ERG candidate becomes PM they will renege on the backstop, which will see the UK drop out of the EU without a deal in the 2 year transition period.

They've talked about this at length, so I'm fairly convinced they would do it.

Faust

That would be worse then not committing to it. Could result in sanctions or block trade deals with other nations. I would hope they would at least be smart enough to run a border poll before doing that.

Cain

They think the Vienna Treaty would give them an out.

Because they are morons. The Vienna Treaty did not allow the Russian Federation to renege on treaties signed when it was the Soviet Union so they will make no exceptions here.

Faust

Meanwhile they all seem to be acting like the May 22nd extension is a given, that was only to ratify Mays deal. They have until 11PM tomorrow or the date automatically becomes the 12th April and a commitment to no deal is made.

Cain

Yup.

BTW it might get a bit...rioty in London today

Faust

Seven days away from rolling cliff edge unless the UK wants to participate in EU elections.

Also water leak for Lord Protector, it would be a vast improvement

Cain

France and Holland seem very unlikely to approve another extension.

Not to mention May is taking the piss with this request. She sabotaged it, likely deliberatey, from the start.  By having the UK stay in until June 30th, it would have to take part in elections.  Hey, who wants to be an MEP for 3 weeks?

There would be a very strong suspicion that she might decline to take part in said elections, thereby throwing the EU into constitutional chaos, a la The Mogg's suggestions (his actual suggestions wouldn't work, but this would).

There's only two possible options here.  One, May wants cover to request a longer time period to negotiate in.  She knows if she outright asks for it, the looney wing of the Tory Party would eat her breakfast.  Or, she wants to go for No Deal Brexit, blame Europe and throw Europe into chaos in hope of getting a better trade deal down the line by inflicting maximum political and economic damage now.

Faust

To counter that the EU could offer two dates:
May 22nd for a short delay, 2024 for the next cycle of european elections. If it has made both short and long options available, May takes the blame for whichever she chooses