News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on July 30, 2019, 05:29:15 PM
Yep and Ireland will keep the UK in the no deal state until the backstop is in place. So pointless trade blockade in 2019 well done 21st century

No US deal without it, either.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2019, 05:34:26 PM
Well Boris is the one who sent us down this dismal path in the first place, making up all those anti-EU stories in the late 80s, when most of the Tories were vaguely pro-EU still. And then leading the charge during the referendum. It's only fitting he deal with the mess he caused.

I thought Farage started it.

Either way, Johnson is holding the bag.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2019, 09:56:02 PM
Well Boris is the one who sent us down this dismal path in the first place, making up all those anti-EU stories in the late 80s, when most of the Tories were vaguely pro-EU still. And then leading the charge during the referendum. It's only fitting he deal with the mess he caused.

No, Farage came along in the 1990s. There were elements in the Tory Party who wanted to use the Maastricht Treaty to weaken John Major, so they had their friends outside the party, like Alan Sked and James Goldsmith, fund a bunch of short-lived Eurosceptic parties like the Anti-Federalist League and the Referendum Party, to keep the pressure on. UKIP formed out of the collapse of such parties.

But they wouldn't have existed in the first place without a steady stream of bullshit in the Telegraph about how the EU was going to outlaw bendy bananas and ban Christmas, supplied since the 1980s by the Brussels correspondent, one Boris Johnson.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2019, 10:11:35 PM

No, Farage came along in the 1990s. There were elements in the Tory Party who wanted to use the Maastricht Treaty to weaken John Major, so they had their friends outside the party, like Alan Sked and James Goldsmith, fund a bunch of short-lived Eurosceptic parties like the Anti-Federalist League and the Referendum Party, to keep the pressure on. UKIP formed out of the collapse of such parties.

But they wouldn't have existed in the first place without a steady stream of bullshit in the Telegraph about how the EU was going to outlaw bendy bananas and ban Christmas, supplied since the 1980s by the Brussels correspondent, one Boris Johnson.

I did not know that.  I thought Johnson jumped on Farage's bandwagon, rather than the other way around.
Molon Lube

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2019, 09:55:32 PM
Yep and Ireland will keep the UK in the no deal state until the backstop is in place. So pointless trade blockade in 2019 well done 21st century

The UK's plan is to lower tariffs to zero post no deal to encourage trade, but Canada (who had previously been ready to sign a trade agreement) have said they will not, why have a trade agreement when they have full access to the UK market for free.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 31, 2019, 12:14:06 AM
Quote from: Cain on July 30, 2019, 10:11:35 PM

I did not know that.  I thought Johnson jumped on Farage's bandwagon, rather than the other way around.

Yeah, Johnson's got a lot to answer for.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on July 31, 2019, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2019, 09:55:32 PM

The UK's plan is to lower tariffs to zero post no deal to encourage trade, but Canada (who had previously been ready to sign a trade agreement) have said they will not, why have a trade agreement when they have full access to the UK market for free.

For a bunch of people who extol the virtues of the free market, the Tories sure don't understand how markets, or businesses, actually work.

The Johnny

Are we watching the UK becoming a third-world country, so to speak? Is that even possible?
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

In theory, a limited economic disintegration is very possible. The main thing to remember is that while the agreements may not be there, the infrastructure still is (more or less, funding cuts aside) and this softens the blow, or sets a lower limit on just how bad things can get, without other factors.

Compare the UK now with, say, Beirut or Kabul in the 1970s and you can see how things could very easily get much worse.

More likely, after maybe a decade to generation of economic disruption, the UK will settle into being a Spanish or Italian tier economic power, instead of a French or German tier one.

Cain

At which point the climate crisis will intensify and we will really need money and the goodwill of our neighbours.

Junkenstien

Quote from: Cain on July 31, 2019, 12:06:47 PM
In theory, a limited economic disintegration is very possible. The main thing to remember is that while the agreements may not be there, the infrastructure still is (more or less, funding cuts aside) and this softens the blow, or sets a lower limit on just how bad things can get, without other factors.

Compare the UK now with, say, Beirut or Kabul in the 1970s and you can see how things could very easily get much worse.

More likely, after maybe a decade to generation of economic disruption, the UK will settle into being a Spanish or Italian tier economic power, instead of a French or German tier one.

What's the odds on there still being a UK in its present form in a decade? Between the ignorance of Ireland and the willingness to throw scotland out as an acceptable cost, I wouldn't be surprised to see one or the other separate. Or be discarded.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if people suddenly start taking cornish/norfolk/etc. separatists seriously and giving them power over policy. We're certainly less than 2 years away from some hilarious shit from the Freeman-on-the-land crowd. This is a golden time for them. 

Cain

Well that's another question, yes.

Of course, you know the Tories only passively accept those movements when they occur in areas that will never vote for them. A loss of Scotland just means a bigger majority once the SNP has to depart the House of Commons.

Junkenstein

Well, I've been having fun with this:

hxxps://www.ceoemail.com/uk-mp.php

Direct lines abound. Short pointed, icily polite questions to a select list. By which I mean I've been hitting a dozen a day or so with anything from the serious (how to best short the pound, mogg) to the silly (still taking money from max Moseley?, Tom Watson).

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Not to mention all that lost foreign direct investment.

I wouldn't invest in the UK right now, not with Boris "fuck business" Johnson as PM and a government committed to pants-on-head idiocy in the world of trade.