News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

So, the newly released Operation Yellowhammer documents are bullshit.

They literally just went through and changed everything that said Yellowhammer was a "baseline scenario" to a "worst-case scenario", to make it sound not as bad.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 12, 2019, 09:23:43 AM
So, the newly released Operation Yellowhammer documents are bullshit.

They literally just went through and changed everything that said Yellowhammer was a "baseline scenario" to a "worst-case scenario", to make it sound not as bad.

Yep, Blackswan is the name of the worst case scenario and they are refusing to release that.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Magpie

Quote from: Faust on September 11, 2019, 11:31:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 10:50:13 PM
I am somewhat surprised Boris Johnson turned down an electoral pact with the Brexit Party.

I suppose someone, somewhere, decided that Brexit didn't have enough drama yet and needed more.

I'm not sure what to make of that, if he is going for no deal, turning them down is because he thinks no deal will somehow rally people to them for having delivered brexit.
Or he is going to trot out mays deal again, and pray people choose that over no deal

Would you trust Nigel Farage? How long would a government last relying on the brexit party once they start trying to negotiate trade deals with the EU, the DUP have set the example.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Magpie on September 12, 2019, 11:32:28 AM
Quote from: Faust on September 11, 2019, 11:31:04 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 11, 2019, 10:50:13 PM
I am somewhat surprised Boris Johnson turned down an electoral pact with the Brexit Party.

I suppose someone, somewhere, decided that Brexit didn't have enough drama yet and needed more.

I'm not sure what to make of that, if he is going for no deal, turning them down is because he thinks no deal will somehow rally people to them for having delivered brexit.
Or he is going to trot out mays deal again, and pray people choose that over no deal

Would you trust Nigel Farage? How long would a government last relying on the brexit party once they start trying to negotiate trade deals with the EU, the DUP have set the example.

Farage doesn't care.  He has found a way to profit off of all of this.

Johnson is just stupid and crazy.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

The text is here:

https://www.apnews.com/b18ad91a24e146a5847726036a8fd22e

It is not a worst case scenario, it is a set of rails upon which the UK is traveling.  It is the most likely result.

ETA:  WAIT.  No, this is idiotically-optimistic, on traffic flow alone.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Item 7 all by itself should make any reasonable person SHIT IN THEIR PANTS.

eta:

Item 11, para iii:  "Will need to seek healthcare in different ways" is a really interesting way of saying "you aren't getting any."

Item 17 is the best British understatement ever made.

Item 18:  At least the black market will thrive.

Also...ITEM 15?  HELLO?

Molon Lube

Magpie

The reports from the leak last month included risks of oil refineries closing, probably item 15.

Faust

Yeah, the side effect of reducing tariffs to zero on petrol and oil refinery is the collapse of the petrochemicals industry as 100% of it will come from abroad.
North Sea Oil is more of a worry. 2000 Job losses barely cuts it and most are in Scotland.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Oh, Ireland.

https://www.apnews.com/b18ad91a24e146a5847726036a8fd22e

QuoteIn better news for the embattled British leader, a Belfast court rejected claims that the Conservative government's Brexit strategy should be ruled illegal because it risked undermining Northern Ireland's peace process.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Magpie on September 12, 2019, 04:01:29 PM
The reports from the leak last month included risks of oil refineries closing, probably item 15.

I was assuming item 15 was military-related, but you are probably correct.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

I am amazed that Shandor hasn't popped in to tell us how wonderful all this is.
Molon Lube

Cain

Luckily for our expats, most states have made provisions for UK citizens staying after Brexit (the Netherlands, for example) which will see current benefits continued with minimal disruption, including healthcare.  I don't know what Spain intends to do, and that would be the country that would worry me most, both because of the number of UK citizens living there and because of Spain's desire to put the screws on the UK re: Gibraltar. But by and large, the EU has been more accommodating than the UK has been on this matter.

And yes, other sources have said Item 15 is regarding the closing of oil refineries and the impact on the British energy sector.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 12, 2019, 05:42:06 PM
I am amazed that Shandor hasn't popped in to tell us how wonderful all this is.

iT'lL dEsTrOy ThE cOpYrIgHt InDuStRy AnD bIg PhArMa

altered

Now that you've said it he'll be sure to say "no this sucks" and then point by point defend the intent while vaguely poo-pooing the execution. It's the libertarian version of No True Scotsman, where you can only say the words in the longest and most roundabout way instead of just getting to the point and making it clear you're not worth engaging with "they aren't REALLY libertarian".
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.