News:

I liked how they introduced her, like "her mother died in an insane asylum thinking she was Queen Victoria" and my thought was, I like where I think this is going. I was not disappointed.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Also, here's the nothing-burger, "you can trust us with unspecified conditions" deal that Boris offered.

https://www.apnews.com/04a5ab581a1747528024e94285b29c95
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Heh.  Seems to me this "deal" more or less moves all of Ireland out of the UK, economically, and into the EU.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Pretty much. It's going to be rejected in less than a day.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 02, 2019, 05:26:53 PM
Heh.  Seems to me this "deal" more or less moves all of Ireland out of the UK, economically, and into the EU.
It moves customs in NI out if the UK, but it also creates a physical border and symbol of division in Ireland so it's not a runner.
No deal is the outcome of this. However long that is prolonged
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Magpie

The part about the NI assembly renewing the proposal every 4 years is limbo for Ireland. The DUP still have a majority in Stormont and I can't see them voting to be more closely aligned with Ireland than Britain, regardless of what actually benefit their voters. Maybe if they add in a border poll after 3 years, give the republic time for our usual pre-referendum citizen's assembly and time to actually hold a referendum if NI votes to rejoin.

Cain

It would completely gut foreign direct investment into Northern Ireland too, in addition to Ireland as a whole. As much as Brexit at least. Imagine every 4 years, not knowing what the regulatory environment is going to be.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 03, 2019, 01:28:28 PM
Imagine every 4 years, not knowing what the regulatory environment is going to be.

So, America.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

Cain

"Coincidentally", "Britain first" was what Jo Cox's assassin shouted as he killed her.

But I'm sure that Jake Berry was in no way trying to imply that the leader of the opposition should be assassinated.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 04, 2019, 12:33:54 PM

"Coincidentally", "Britain first" was what Jo Cox's assassin shouted as he killed her.

But I'm sure that Jake Berry was in no way trying to imply that the leader of the opposition should be assassinated.

Nationalists are always a hoot.
Molon Lube

Cain

I'm almost too exhausted for outrage at this point. I'm just waiting for the first MPs to be killed due to this insanely dangerous rhetoric.

Faust

Boris has said in court he will be seeking the extension.
If that happens and there is an election, the Brexit party pick up seats from the Tories, this can only lead to the following outcomes:
Divide the Tory seats and just deepen the Parliament split.
Divide the leave vote, and flip seats to labor or lib dems.

I'm hoping for the latter, but I am not sure.

Cain

Well, he made the lawyers say it, which weirdly adds some credibility to it, or at least doesn't detract from the credibility of known serial liar Boris Johnson saying it.

Faust

There isn't any real news on this, just that I am still banging my head of the desk.

Cain

Well, no, we did have a day where Downing Street, all the press and Leave.eu decided to simultaneously blame Germany for negotiations breaking down.

Because that didn't look coordinated as fuck or anything.

Faust

I am hopefully not speaking too soon but it looks like Boris is ready to throw the DUP under the bus and go for an NI only backstop.
It wont get through parliament but it did not take him long to get back to May's deal. There is the possibility this time that the EU could say "This deal or no extension" which instead would force the decision of no deal on the opposition.