News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

I mean, what use are the DUP any more? They're not exactly giving him a Parliamentary majority.

This is what happens when you try to use something as an excuse to do what you want to, but the situation changes.

Faust

Boris has pulled out all the stops and secured a brand new Mays deal.
The EU have said no more extensions (though there are people who doubt that), but it might be shit or get off the pot time
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Did I see something resembling a Backstop for NI?

Faust

In all but name, and it is a good thing. Of course that means it wont get through, but at least he committed to it which I didn't think he would

Doktor Howl

This is just a slightly altered version of the May deal, isn't it?
Molon Lube

Faust

Yes, and as a compromise it pleases no one so it wont get through. However there wont ever be a version without something like this, so it's basically this or no brexit

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on October 17, 2019, 08:05:54 PM
Yes, and as a compromise it pleases no one so it wont get through. However there wont ever be a version without something like this, so it's basically this or no brexit

Well, from the UK's point of view.  The EU can just say "no more extensions," right?
Molon Lube

Faust

They have,I think they would grant one of push came to shove but  it would need a really good reason, like having the second ref already set in the calendar

Cain

The Financial Times is projecting this won't get past the Commons. The DUP's support is lost, and why would the opposition parties go for May Deal 2.0?

Faust

The opposition will need to flip a few votes to get through, If they don't vote for it or repeal article 50 by the 31st no deal happens automatically, in which case it would be Labor and Lib dems responsible for no deal. If they are going to go for indi ref 2 or revoke they would want to do it soon.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on October 17, 2019, 10:27:43 PM
The opposition will need to flip a few votes to get through, If they don't vote for it or repeal article 50 by the 31st no deal happens automatically, in which case it would be Labor and Lib dems responsible for no deal. If they are going to go for indi ref 2 or revoke they would want to do it soon.

The new agreement is No Deal for Britain anyway. There's no way a deal would be agreed in 12 months.

Faust

The transition could be extended and would be a lot easier once the NI problem is out of the way but yeah, transition should be two to three years from leave day

Cain

Notice how all the "no dealers" in the ERG are lining up behind this, however? I don't think they seriously intend to negotiate in good faith. They have significant financial incentives not to, in some cases.

Michael Gove also made it very clear the Tories intend to gut workers rights by refusing to comment on parity with EU rights, so Labour's vote is definitively lost (Kate Hoey aside, naturally).

Cain

Letwin amendment passed.

MPs will actually now get more than 48 hours to scrutinise this deal. Assuming, of course, the EU grants the extension.

Faust

Another extension is fine, labor wont vote for the deal now, not even some rebels