News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Swindon wanting to move election date to the 9th to pick up more student votes makes me giggle. The country has had an aging population for decades. There's a reason tories target 50+ voters and that's simply because there's more of the fuckers. Chasing a minority slice of the vote again to remain a minority party when your conference aim was outright majority.... Words fail me.

Can't wait for the next coalition shit show.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 25, 2019, 07:22:39 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2019, 08:26:19 PM
It

Can.

Always.

Get.

Funnier.

So, no exit on Thurs,  acceptance of extension means no renegotiation of WAB, so deal is deal and can't really change. Which is a shame as its a bit shit to say the least. Initial election call denied, no plan from defuckwit to do anything other than try again.

I've not seen bookies odds on him being a Christmas suicide yet, but when your whole family and half the country hate your useless lying arse, I'd make sure you have the samaritans on speed dial.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

I've just been looking at it from the Irish perspective, once it ticked the NI issue I was satisfied but I haven't really considered the rest of it. Would remaining or closer be better than this?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Another election.

This included, we've now had four national votes in five years.

I'm predicting the Tories get in with a slim majority, then give is the hardest Brexit possible.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2019, 09:19:11 PM
Another election.

I'm predicting the Tories get in with a slim majority, then give is the hardest Brexit possible.

That is my gut feeling, too.  The hard brexit thing, I mean.

It wouldn't be England if it wasn't drunk and fucking the neighbor's dog pig's head.
Molon Lube

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2019, 09:19:11 PM
Another election.

Lib-dem coalition 2, Brexit boogaloo.

Just watch them sell everyone out again for a taste of power and all the blame. Swinson was heavily involved in the first go and 85%ish of what she comes out with makes me think its stupid enough to happen.

Faust re deal: it's literally mays with a fuck about bit of nonsense for Ireland which is pretty much ignoring one of mays red lines. It gives an essentially non UK status to ni which are why the dup are up in arms (possibly to get another billion quid while they can.) mays deal was also crap irrespective of the backstop bollocks anyway, that was just the easiest bit for the erg to latch on to to get rid of May and install defuckwit. With an election, their 10ish votes become even less relevant and ni gets to be ignored and forgotten about again.

With the snp almost sure to claim Scotland, getting rid of both from the UK seems not only to be an acceptable price but also a fucking preference for this band of shitrags.

Junkenstein

Also, the real fun will start when people remember what the first past the post system can produce. Like winners with less than 20% of the vote share. "aaaaaarrgghhhhh Xmas riots" sounds like a mail headline before the year end.

Cain

There's also the bit where this deal strips out all the bits about workers rights and keeping parity with the EU post-Brexit.

It's actually a shittier version of May's deal in every respect.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on October 29, 2019, 10:30:53 PM
There's also the bit where this deal strips out all the bits about workers rights and keeping parity with the EU post-Brexit.

It's actually a shittier version of May's deal in every respect.

Can't you guys just go full Oliver Cromwell and call it a day?
Molon Lube

Faust

That would require decision making and leadership of which there is none from any direction.
Junkenstien, NI actually approve of the backstop, businesses are crying out for it, it's only the DUP who see it as creating new division within the UK.

Prediction, tories pick up 3-5 seats in England, lose 12 in Scotland, labour lose 5-10 to Brexit party. DUP lose 2 seats to UUP.

In the event Boris gets enough seats to try and force no deal he loses the rebels again, the current deal instead passes.
In the event no deal happens, the UK will immediately want to start micro deals to allow a managed no deal.
The EU will refuse and instead point the UK at the ticking clock of Open skies, Euratom and the ISEM  which have 9 months, 6 months and 6 months respectively from no deal day 1.

Cain

Remember though, Boris lost his majority only because he expelled 20 MPs from the party (10 have been subsequently allowed back in, on the condition they vote for his deal).

There is a very strong likelihood he will win all 20 of those seats back. And then it becomes a question of Con-Lab-Lib Dem marginal constituencies. The Lib Dems are polling high, and both they and the Brexit Party can act as spoilers in those marginals.

Faust

He could get the deal through with a handful of labour rebels, DUP wont ever vote for it, I think they have realised the only condition that doesnt accelerate a united Ireland is remain.
It will be slim if he gets any majority at all, I still think he is going to lose most of the 13 seats in Scotland, so if he gets the gains it will need to come from labour and lib dem seats flipping

Cain

John Curtice has predicted there could be up to 100 MPs elected from neither Labour or the Tories in Parliament. That maths does favour Corbyn, in the sense of preventing a No Deal Brexit. In terms of creating a viable government...well, apparently that's not as important as Brexit, which is why we're having another election and not a second referendum.

Faust

A minority government can work if everyone is working to a common goal. The only thing the opposition seem capable of is extensions, not even other referendum or placeholder PM.
I keep contrasting with Ireland and everyone is probably sick to death of me doing so but even before the vote in 2016 all parties met and decided what way they wanted to approach this, what to request of the EU etc. Its a minority government as well but all parties have foregone an election until after brexit is sorted.

Cain

The thing is coalition government is completely alien to the UK political way of thinking.

Consider Corbyn, he's been an MP since, what, 1983? In all of that time, we've had exactly one coalition government and one confidence-supply government, both in the last 4 years. The ability to work cross-party to compromise sounds, in theory, like it shouldn't be a problem, but in a system where everyone thinks it will be winner takes all and has worked in the system for decades with that in mind...to call it a culture shock would be polite understatement.