UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

I'd research the rules in case I lead you astray but I think there is an option in it.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I just checked, 5 years in total (apparently you can't do the 1 year continuous residence and 4 years minimum residence together) and a couple of hundred euros.

And I'm sure the test can't be any harder than the UK's bullshit, which involves encyclopedic knowledge of 1970s pop culture.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 10, 2020, 03:01:28 PM
That's a point...especially since Ireland and Australia both allow for dual-nationality.

Canada is the same, and it's nicer.  So long as you stay East of Manitoba.

In fact, just say "Toronto" and leave it at that.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 10, 2020, 05:04:28 PM
That's a point...especially since Ireland and Australia both allow for dual-nationality.

I did also consider Canada, but their visa restrictions for workers are a lot tighter than Ireland would be.

Also yes, the economy has continued to flatline (has for a decade now) and Boris Johnson is continuing to make obscure "No Deal" threats.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 11, 2020, 04:57:59 PM

I did also consider Canada, but their visa restrictions for workers are a lot tighter than Ireland would be.

Also yes, the economy has continued to flatline (has for a decade now) and Boris Johnson is continuing to make obscure "No Deal" threats.

WOOOOOOW!  :lol:

That's Trump level idiocy.
Molon Lube

Faust

He said he wants an Australia style arrangement, the EU said that's fine but Australia doesn't do financials with the EU.
The EU aren't innocent in this either, there is a clause going into all of their trade deals that no other nation can get more favorable terms unless the EU also gets them.
The finance deregulation worries me, on the financials Boris basically threatened a global downturn and the EU seems to be ok with that.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on February 11, 2020, 08:12:16 PM

He said he wants an Australia style arrangement, the EU said that's fine but Australia doesn't do financials with the EU.
The EU aren't innocent in this either, there is a clause going into all of their trade deals that no other nation can get more favorable terms unless the EU also gets them.
The finance deregulation worries me, on the financials Boris basically threatened a global downturn and the EU seems to be ok with that.

I doubt they're okay with it at all, but they're not about to kiss his spotty arse, either.
Molon Lube

Faust

I'm not so sure, if there has to be destabilisation, I'm getting the feeling that they think the financials would rebuild, but not in the UK.

I may be huffing the conspiracy theory crack pipe, but I get the feeling the EU want a economic crises to consolidate their position.

Cain

A lot of the big financials are moving away from the UK to either Ireland, France, Holland or Germany anyway.

Goldman Sachs etc are already gone, it's a skeleton crew at downsized offices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on February 12, 2020, 09:16:24 AM
I'm not so sure, if there has to be destabilisation, I'm getting the feeling that they think the financials would rebuild, but not in the UK.

I may be huffing the conspiracy theory crack pipe, but I get the feeling the EU want a economic crises to consolidate their position.

Could be.  Mostly, I think it's just primate response.
Molon Lube

Cain

Meanwhile, the UK is back to deporting black people

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/11/government-windrush-tough-migration

QuoteNow we have moved on to "foreign national offenders". Refusing to release or even pretend to pay the slightest attention to the Windrush Lessons Learned review, the government has deported 17 people to Jamaica – and in doing so it has communicated that it will continue to be "tough" on immigration. It's necessary, it says, to deport black people from this country – regardless of whether the UK was the only home they'd ever really known or if they'd served their sentences in the criminal justice system. Once again black people are being treated as second-class citizens.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on February 12, 2020, 02:22:09 PM
Meanwhile, the UK is back to deporting black people

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/11/government-windrush-tough-migration

QuoteNow we have moved on to "foreign national offenders". Refusing to release or even pretend to pay the slightest attention to the Windrush Lessons Learned review, the government has deported 17 people to Jamaica – and in doing so it has communicated that it will continue to be "tough" on immigration. It's necessary, it says, to deport black people from this country – regardless of whether the UK was the only home they'd ever really known or if they'd served their sentences in the criminal justice system. Once again black people are being treated as second-class citizens.

I wasn't aware that they had stopped.
Molon Lube

Cain

Well, there was an election on, so they calmed it down a bit.

You may remember it, as half the Cabinet boasted about doing drugs - the same thing some of these people are being deported for.

There was also a judicial review meant to halt the actual flight in question yesterday, but the Home Office refused to comment on whether the flight itself was cancelled or not - suggesting it was intending to break the law.

Oh, and we asked a 101 year old man to have his parents confirm his identity.

Doktor Howl

Wow.

Also, halfway down this article, it seems that Boris is firing all the women in his government:

https://apnews.com/c35e8e9949a4835e7553e51a0c62e8fc
Molon Lube