News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

:lulz: Somehow Grayling would manage to infect the entire prison service or something, I can just see it.

Cain

Speaking of Grayling, guess what job he's just been given?

QuoteBORIS Johnson has sparked anger among Tory MPs by parachuting Chris Grayling into a prized intelligence job.

The PM is to appoint the controversial former Cabinet minister to sit on Parliament's esteemed Intelligence and Security Committee.

Downing Street also plans to give other the other Conservative members on it the instruction to elect him as its new chair.

Running the committee – which scrutinises the work of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ – is seen as the most prestigious job for any backbench MP.

It traditionally goes to long-serving party grandees as a reward for years of service.

But the decision to award it to Mr Grayling has created an angry backlash among some backbenchers.

They point to the former Transport Secretary's bumpy record in government where he committed a series of gaffes, and argue he has never held a national security role.

Junkenstein

"bumpy record".

And the titanic hit an ice cube.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2020, 11:27:40 PM
:lulz: Somehow Grayling would manage to infect the entire prison service or something, I can just see it.

Thinking about that, I would guess he'd set everyone free to self isolate at home as long as they promised to come back after 2 weeks.

At least that Russia report will be delivered promptly around 2035 with only a few dozen billion added to the cost somehow.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 11, 2020, 01:16:49 AM
Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2020, 11:27:40 PM

Thinking about that, I would guess he'd set everyone free to self isolate at home as long as they promised to come back after 2 weeks.

At least that Russia report will be delivered promptly around 2035 with only a few dozen billion added to the cost somehow.
That may not actually be unreasonable, depending on the prison, the big one Ireland is worried about is the cells holding seven people when its only supposed to hold three. Cronic overcrowding could cause the virus to spread quickly in that enclosed environment. They may be looking to let out a lot of the non violent offenders, especially if they only have a few months in their sentences
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

There have been riots and prison breaks in Italy already.

Cain

Ah, finally, some details on the Grenfell fire are coming to light

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51839197

QuoteAt the meeting, the two firms discussed the cladding options and Harley Facades showed him its portfolio, including a project at Ferrier Point in Canning Town, east London, which had used ACM panels.

Mr Rek told the inquiry he thought the focus of the meeting was "more to do with the appearance and price of the various materials and not their fire performance or fire rating".

Afterwards, lead Studio E architect Bruce Sounes sent an email to Mr Harris of Harley saying his "back of a fag packet" figure for the cladding had been deemed over-budget, according to emails.

The next month, Mr Harris emailed Mr Rek regarding pricing, saying from a "Harley selfish point of view our preference would be to use ACM", adding the firm was "confident of the cost base".

Separately, Mr Rek told the inquiry the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, the client for the project, was putting his firm "under some kind of pressure" to use the cheaper materials.

By July 2014, the BBC has previously revealed, council officials had decided to change the cladding to the more dangerous material, reducing the budget by less than £300,000.

Cain

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on March 11, 2020, 02:29:41 PM
There have been riots and prison breaks in Italy already.

This will all be small time once you tell x thousand scouse twats they can't leave Liverpool,

So, martial law in the summer for the peak? If it's the new normal for 6months it'll be a lot easier to extend it come January. We won't need anywhere near a 13% drop to see (more) riots. And that's without extinction rebellion irritating anyone. Hell, if they're smart the propaganda they could churn out on the back of this is incredible, if they had the balls to do so.

As to grenfel, the cost saving being a huge factor is going to be the end of it really. Councils are notorious for using the cheapest tender, every time without fail. Which was always amazing as 'quality'  allegedly had a 50-70% weighting. The official portal used to be called 'the chest' or something similar. What a fucking joke that was. I know of at least 400k-1mil jobs that were rendered at nil or minal, like 1-4k cost. Obviously these became very expensive and problematic costing the councils around triple or so.

This isn't even through corruption either, it's just sheer incompetence. With everyone losing their shirt and making no money either.

Cain

I think the government is planning around a "summer of discontent", presumably hoping it can avoid shutting down the schools in the meantime. But I'll honestly be surprised if this policy continues past the end of April. Things will become increasingly untenable over the next 6 weeks, as people become increasingly clear that "everyone needs herd immunity" is government speak for "lets condemn a million or so people to early deaths for the Greater Good".

As for Grenfell, I'm mostly just feeling vindicated in my original supposition that this wasn't simply a business failing, but it was aided and abetted on some legislative level.

Junkenstein

I was assuming pushing it off to the summer so they can all fuck off for a long break was the main factor.

Grenfell was a a failing on nearly every level, with enough dead to shine the spotlight a bit. I'd gladly bet limbs that every other council has made similar decisions in exactly the same way, for the same reason. Its just a matter of time until some foi requests prove it.

Cain

That too. However, it seems there has been a u-turn in government policy. The government is reported to due to stop mass gatherings next week, passing emergency powers to stop them and grant compensation to businesses to allow workers to work from home.

Cain

Ah, I see among the emergency powers the government is giving is for the police to be able to arrest and detain people they suspect of having COVID-19.

I see a lot of ethnic minorities getting arrested for coughing in public.

Cain

With the schools now closing, it seems the local authorities have seen that as a green light to start taking action.

40 Tube stations have been closed today, including my own. I don't need it, but shutting down that many stations at once is really serious business.

Cain