News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Quote from: Cain on May 25, 2020, 12:28:37 AM
Quote from: altered on May 25, 2020, 12:06:24 AM
Cain, historically speaking what tend to be the results of what's happening in the U.K. right now? Rulers held to a different standard, incoherent messaging except for "when it comes down to it we are better than you", a crisis handled in the worst possible manner with plain evidence as to how it could be handled better, etc?

I might be wrong, but this resembles to me the lead up to a lot of successful historical revolutions, yes?

Historically speaking, in other countries, it looks pretty bad, yes.

Here, it reminds me of the early 1990s. A hilariously out of touch, corrupt government at every turn, confronted by a superficially slick and centrist Labour leader.

Hiding most of the dead bodies in nursing homes and the press being utterly incurious when it comes to criticising the ruling party are also key factors to consider.

The very fact it has a body count makes me feel it's a different story from times in the past you've had a government dead set on fucking the dog to death. People don't like hearing the rules only apply to them, but they especially hate hearing their lives have no value. Is there some mitigating factor here that might protect Johnson and his creatures from an unruly mob coming into being?
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Well our official body count is wildly fudged. The vast majority of deaths have been taking place in nursing and care homes, not recorded as official deaths as a result. Our real death toll is over double what the official count is, so the crisis doesn't seem quite as bad as it is.

Otherwise, the government has been doing this for years now. Doing over the top evil shit, then telling blatant lies to the press, then telling the public to go fuck themselves, has been the standard since Cameron got in. The only difference is some of the press actually seem angry about the blatant lies for once...and that doesn't include The Sun, The Express or the Telegraph, all of whom are still backing the PM.

altered

To be fair, your press is fucked in all sorts of ways. I don’t think there’s one single U.K. outlet I’d trust for factual news at this point.

ETA: I pressed send while scrolling so I originally intended to add more, but I realized when I edited to go type it that it was not useful. I would have deleted this entire post at that point if I hadn’t already sent it. So here we are.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Our print press is horrific. Sky News is actually quite decent nowadays, given that it's no longer owned by Murdoch but has still retained a lot of the talent he attracted over the years. Channel 4 are also very, very good and have much less ideological baggage. Dispatches continues to be one of the best investigative journalism programmes in the country.

Junkenstein

Quote from: altered on May 25, 2020, 01:22:48 AM
To be fair, your press is fucked in all sorts of ways. I don't think there's one single U.K. outlet I'd trust for factual news at this point.

Here's the thing, due to the libel, slander and d notice jazz, if a paper or two here runs a front page story, it will typically stand up in court. Look at how well markle has done so far in taking them to task.

The problem we really have here is the same as the states, opinion pieces masquerading as journalism. Which often are front page leads.

If you're not familiar with d notices it's worth a look at. It's the system that prevents paper for reporting the fact that Johnson has 9 kids for example. It can prevent even asking the question.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

In vaguely related corruption, Cummings still has a job making Johnson look even more spineless than before.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Naturally. I mean, rules are for little people. I did hear that Cummings "knows where the bodies are buried" and has done since his days in the education sector though, but I suspect "one rule for the plebs, one for the elite" is also a significant consideration.

Junkenstein

The main rumor I've heard is Johnson sexually harrased Cummings wife. Who is apparently the current editor of the spectator.

It's plausible enough that I've been happy to spread it.

Cain

Fraser Nelson is Cumming's wife?!

I know, I know, it's Mary Wakefield, and she is, to be fair, the commissioning editor. But Fraser Nelson's complete lack of shame and weird interest in eugenics would make him a good fit for Cummings.

Junkenstein

There are many reasons I've been preaching that we've moved from the strange times to the new horrible times. This is but one. Given Johnson antics at the spectator I would not be surprised if he has groped both of them.

Cummings holding press slanging match at 4, expected to say its your own fault if you suffered hardship by adhering to rules. Following this, throws a fifty at the nearest pig security goon police body and tells them to do their job and make them go away. V's raised off into the sunset.

It's not going to be an "I'm quitting" as there is to be q+a.

Cain

Yeah, it's definitely not a resignation. I expect a sob story, or, as you say, telling people to go fuck themselves.

Of course, between this and the Durham police investigation, all it's doing is keeping it in the headlines.

Junkenstein

That constant background noise that started up every time he spoke was great. 8/10, highly recommended for future press events.

Junkenstein

20 point drop in polls, 71% think Cummings broke regs. 29% clearly not listening as he stated multiple times how he broke them for reasons beyond the ludicrous.

That rumor is more plausible the more you retell it.

Cain

I see we are now going Full Potato Culture War over statues.

Our media really is the laziest in the world. Not even bright enough to come up with our own culture war tropes, they just lazily nick whatever the Americans were doing two years ago.

Faust

At least it will make the transition to ceding sovereignty and being the 51st state easier
Sleepless nights at the chateau