News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fallenkezef on July 01, 2017, 10:33:58 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 01, 2017, 07:55:09 PM
That may be the cheaper option in the long run.

However, there probably isn't any money for that.  Too busy buying votes from the DUP, there's nothing left in the pot.

That is going to backfire badly in the long run.

Trying to think of a current politician in the USA or the UK that is possible of thinking of events after supper.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Short-termism is going to kill us all, one fine day.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Fallenkezef

It's the inherent flaw of democracy. Doesn't matter if you vote right or left, the government only works on a 5 year time frame.

No point putting in place long-term reform or programs if you cold be voted out in 5 years. They just focus on lining their own pockets until the people figure it out and vote in the other side in the mistaken belief the will be somehow different.
Engage the enemy more closely

Faust

Gove is planning on pulling the UK out of the common fisheries act to "take back UK waters for UK fishermen". This same insane promise was pushed by UKIP so I really didn't think anyone would take it seriously, the bottom line is that act allowed the UK access to an area streching up towards Iceland, down to Spain and up past Norway and vice versa, European countries in UK water.

While technically it means that the UK will have exclusive fishing rights to it's own area, where previously a lot was given away to other countries, it's greatly reduced area means all UK fishing vessles will be competing in a very small area.

But it also doesn't take into account that certain kinds of fish are seasonal and regional, if there is a really good salmon batch down by spain or west of Ireland it just wont have access, and never mind if you wanted to pick up something exotic like swordfish or octopus.

The bottom line is, keeping the existing rules protected UK fishermens livelyhoods, and kept fish costs low... Lets hope the Brexit negotiations succeed on import/export duties because if it defaults to WTO taxation of 21% in/out a lot of people are going to lose their jobs.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on July 02, 2017, 09:16:37 AM
Gove is planning on pulling the UK out of the common fisheries act to "take back UK waters for UK fishermen". This same insane promise was pushed by UKIP so I really didn't think anyone would take it seriously, the bottom line is that act allowed the UK access to an area streching up towards Iceland, down to Spain and up past Norway and vice versa, European countries in UK water.

While technically it means that the UK will have exclusive fishing rights to it's own area, where previously a lot was given away to other countries, it's greatly reduced area means all UK fishing vessles will be competing in a very small area.

But it also doesn't take into account that certain kinds of fish are seasonal and regional, if there is a really good salmon batch down by spain or west of Ireland it just wont have access, and never mind if you wanted to pick up something exotic like swordfish or octopus.

The bottom line is, keeping the existing rules protected UK fishermens livelyhoods, and kept fish costs low... Lets hope the Brexit negotiations succeed on import/export duties because if it defaults to WTO taxation of 21% in/out a lot of people are going to lose their jobs.

It seems to be a given that no matter what the looneytunes in power do an awful lot of people are going to lose their jobs and a whole lot more people are going to have a degraded standard of living. In self defence I have decided that the best approach to this is to stop giving a flying fuck and to pimp out my handcart because we surely seem to be headed to hell on the fast track.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Faust

It might not have such far reaching consequences but it seems so frustratingly unnecessary, especially with everything else going on. It's like Gove wanted to do something big and showy because he was on the out in the party, so in relation to Brexit he does something that would appear decisive, to endear himself with big boys table.

In reality it's is like going to a party where everyone has brought a massive amount of booze of all different varieties, then feeling precious about the bottle of wine he brought so instead decides to go home and drink it for himself.

Cain

Quote from: Fallenkezef on July 02, 2017, 07:45:50 AM
It's the inherent flaw of democracy. Doesn't matter if you vote right or left, the government only works on a 5 year time frame.

No point putting in place long-term reform or programs if you cold be voted out in 5 years. They just focus on lining their own pockets until the people figure it out and vote in the other side in the mistaken belief the will be somehow different.

True, but at this point even a 5 year time frame would be nice.

Quote from: Faust on July 02, 2017, 02:25:21 PM
It might not have such far reaching consequences but it seems so frustratingly unnecessary, especially with everything else going on. It's like Gove wanted to do something big and showy because he was on the out in the party, so in relation to Brexit he does something that would appear decisive, to endear himself with big boys table.

In reality it's is like going to a party where everyone has brought a massive amount of booze of all different varieties, then feeling precious about the bottle of wine he brought so instead decides to go home and drink it for himself.

Gove is just doing for the environment what he did for education.

I will say I was surprised to see Gove jumping on the bandwagon to raise pay for civil servants and public sector workers.  I suppose it's possible the man isn't a complete shit, all day every day.  But it does seem like yet another case of him seeing a bared back, sticking the knife in and twisting it a bit.

Junkenstein

May now asking for policy ideas from other parties, rather than just stealing them. "In light of the political realities", which translated means "I can't rely on my own party or even the dup despite the bribe."

"Resign immediately" is probably going to be the main suggestion. And this is surely another death note for this government whichever way you cut it.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

May isnt going to resign. Clearly you've been drinking too much warm prosecco.

Vanadium Gryllz

We can dream.

I can't imagine what would have to happen for May to actually resign though. She seems pretty intent on staying.

Having said that she was pretty intent on not having a snap election.

If she doesn't resign doesn't this action give the opposition parties a lot of power though? Start implementing some of their policies or at least ameliorating some of the Tories'  That seems like a good thing.

EDIT: Consumer spending lowest since 2013 as prices rise and wages don't. Strap in folks.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

You might have missed yesterday's news.  According to Justice Secretary David Lidington all talk of May resigning is the result of warm prosecco, nothing more.

It's certainly not due to plotting by David Davis.

Faust

Today is the bonfire and marching day up the north, it's a day that tends to have violence, and high tensions around it.
They are a small subset of scumbags, but it's important to note they are the DUPs voting base.

A charming bunch to be sure, with fine cultural traditions like buring the Irish flag, and with lovely banners like "We're not racist, just don't like Niggas"

Hopefully today will go by without anyone getting killed and not too many peoples pets murdered on the bonfires.

Ben Shapiro

Junkenstein

Blair still alive and making shit worse.

Starting to worry that next government may be Blair 2: deceitful boogaloo.