News:

What the fuck is a homonym?  It's something that sounds gay.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

I'm pretty fascinated about how this is going to affect Ireland. I'm not much of an Irish historian, because it's outside of my scope, but the border between NI and the Republic is porous pretty much only because of the EU. I just saw a post on FB that talks about how the OP remembered seeing the guns and guards doing checks, and how both countries fought to gain at least some porosity. All of that is going to go away.

I did read that NI rejected Sinn Fein's proposal, which is unsurprising. I think the damage done on the island is way too far gone to really even work together for unification at this point. But I can see NI definitely giving the UK the finger if it means being able to at least keep an open border between itself and the Republic.

This is fucking terrifying, and I only know a -tiny- bit of early modern/modern Irish history.d

Edit: Addendum. Ugh.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/northern-irish-peace-sacrificed-english-nationalism
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

Those on Facebook may want to have a look at this album:

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

I am lucky: I am white, I have a standard British accent (and I carry a torch and spray with me everywhere - the first thug who tries to repatriate me is going to do have to do so missing his teeth and with his skin dyed bright pink).  I'm also an adult male with a somewhat heavier build - I'm among the last person a racist is going to pic on, if they even realised I wasn't British in the first place.

But obviously many people don't have those advantages.

I'm pretty disgusted with this country right now. 

Faust

That is disgusting. What I saw from the proposed negotiations yesterday from Scotland looked like a nice big fuck you to the racist contingent:
The will remain in the UK if it is possible to also remain in Europe and follow all of the previously agreed upon regulations... IE freedom of movement.
I don't know how that would work: If they can issue a national insurance number then anyone who wants to from Europe could work there.

I imagine the Farage types wouldn't be happy if polish, Romanian etc. could come IN to the country to work (via Scotland), but English and Welsh people couldn't go out to Europe to work.

I know the above scenario couldn't happen, Sturgeon is just laying the ground work justifications as to why a second referendum for Scottish independence is needed, and why being in the UK and EU at the same time would be far too complicated.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

That's one element of Scottish nationalism I'm OK with: it's "plucky underdog" nationalism that resents the English for the most part.

Whether it remains that inclusive once Scotland is independent is another question, but if I were a foreigner in Scotland, I'd take that bet over an independent UK right now.  At the very least, being in the EU would force Scotland to be under the ECHR purview and open up the possibility of retaliatory measures, should the SNP go that way.

Which is another thing.  We're now going to see just how ugly the British state can get, now it's free of having to operate within a European framework, with the possibility of tit-for-tat moves by European partners it was tightly bound with.  "Freedom" sometimes means "the freedom to be a complete shit", and I strongly suspect we will see a lot of the latter in the coming days, weeks and months.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2016, 07:54:47 AM
Those on Facebook may want to have a look at this album:

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

I am lucky: I am white, I have a standard British accent (and I carry a torch and spray with me everywhere - the first thug who tries to repatriate me is going to do have to do so missing his teeth and with his skin dyed bright pink).  I'm also an adult male with a somewhat heavier build - I'm among the last person a racist is going to pic on, if they even realised I wasn't British in the first place.

But obviously many people don't have those advantages.

I'm pretty disgusted with this country right now.

I found myself surprised at seeing how much hate the Polish still get. 

Cain

I know, right?  They've been here the best part of 12 years now.  And as far as immigrants go...well, the Poles keep their heads down, get on and work and not much else.  You see the very occasional Polish shop.  No Polish political parties, action groups, Polish only Catholic churches, Polish only areas - compared to with, say, Pakistani Sunni Muslims in the UK, Poles really don't figure on the radar.

Unless you're a Daily Mail reader, one presumes.

And all of the above is ignoring the sizeable Polish community that has existed in the UK since the 1930s.

Well, there's a reason I started drinking early today.

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

That's why I'd finished a bottle of red wine by lunch time.  Then I started really drinking.

I feel like it was either that, or doing something really fucking stupid.

MMIX

I've just watched some grinning pimply youth on the news channel telling me how much better off we will be trading with Ghana than with the European Union which according to another wunderkind is a failed and diminishing continent.

Cain, you are very lucky - I don't drink; what the hell am I supposed to do.   :horrormirth:
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

Smoke, it's what I've been doing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36634786

QuoteSince the EU referendum results revealed the UK voted to leave, people have been compiling reports of racism on social media.

QuoteFormer Conservative parliamentary candidate Shazia Awan worked for the Stronger In campaign in Wales. She says she noticed a number of incidents of anti-foreign sentiment.
"When the Leave campaign focussed on the issue of immigration a few weeks before the result, I could feel the difference in how people were acting," she said.
"While I was campaigning, I was speaking to a black woman. A white man walked past and called her the N word."
After the referendum result, Shazia experienced a backlash herself when she tweeted her reaction to the outcome of the vote.
"After I came from the count on Friday morning I posted a tweet about David Cameron being the least worst thing about the Conservative party.
"Then I got a reply saying I should pack my bags and go home - I was born in Caerphilly in Wales.
"I don't like what this means for all of us."

Still anecdotal, but this is very, very fucking mild compared to some of this shit I've heard/seen by now. Knives are being mentioned with an alarming frequency, both aggressively and as the default means to protect yourself.

I'm hoping for someone to say it's just the parts/people I'm dealing with and it's not the norm.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Junkenstein on June 27, 2016, 03:38:31 PM
Smoke, it's what I've been doing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36634786

QuoteSince the EU referendum results revealed the UK voted to leave, people have been compiling reports of racism on social media.

QuoteFormer Conservative parliamentary candidate Shazia Awan worked for the Stronger In campaign in Wales. She says she noticed a number of incidents of anti-foreign sentiment.
"When the Leave campaign focussed on the issue of immigration a few weeks before the result, I could feel the difference in how people were acting," she said.
"While I was campaigning, I was speaking to a black woman. A white man walked past and called her the N word."
After the referendum result, Shazia experienced a backlash herself when she tweeted her reaction to the outcome of the vote.
"After I came from the count on Friday morning I posted a tweet about David Cameron being the least worst thing about the Conservative party.
"Then I got a reply saying I should pack my bags and go home - I was born in Caerphilly in Wales.
"I don't like what this means for all of us."

Still anecdotal, but this is very, very fucking mild compared to some of this shit I've heard/seen by now. Knives are being mentioned with an alarming frequency, both aggressively and as the default means to protect yourself.

I'm hoping for someone to say it's just the parts/people I'm dealing with and it's not the norm.

There seem to be a large number on what was the 'Leave' side who are now downplaying the importance that people who actually voted placed on immigration. This is likely because none of the innuendoes that the Leave side let slip during their campaigning are going to be easy to achieve.

I don't know how long a situation with this much uncertainty can carry on without some crazy shit happening - from what I can tell we've just fucked ourselves and the main promises of the 'winning' camp are now turning out to be a bunch of wishful thinking and/or straight up lies. Surely people are now going to start asking "Where's this Greater Britain we were promised? What about all that EU money we aren't spending any more?"

I dunno maybe I overestimate the complacency of everyone. Certainly the Conservatives got into power on some similarly difficult to substantiate claims and nobody seemed too upset when they inevitably couldn't fulfil.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: MMIX on June 27, 2016, 03:03:31 PM
I've just watched some grinning pimply youth on the news channel telling me how much better off we will be trading with Ghana than with the European Union which according to another wunderkind is a failed and diminishing continent.

Cain, you are very lucky - I don't drink; what the hell am I supposed to do.   :horrormirth:

Start experimenting with fucked up fetishes?

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

The mainland more-so than Britain?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

The Good Reverend Roger

Benzodiazapine and a casual disregard for your own safety in public.

It works for me.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.