News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanadium Gryllz

Is there a reason the Lib Dems/Greens aren't making more noise at the moment? With the two 'main' parties in absolute chaos I would have thought they would be seizing the opportunity to get some awareness out there.

Maybe they are and i'm just not catching the news.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

The Lib Dems are crowing about the thousands of members they picked up in the aftermath of the referendum.  However it's on their own social media and email list, so...

Junkenstein

Quote from: Xaz on July 01, 2016, 10:08:46 AM
Is there a reason the Lib Dems/Greens aren't making more noise at the moment? With the two 'main' parties in absolute chaos I would have thought they would be seizing the opportunity to get some awareness out there.

Maybe they are and i'm just not catching the news.

I've seen and heard little. That said, the Lib-dems are still pretty much FUBAR and will be dead as a political entity for the forseeable future. They had the only chance they were ever likely to get and fucked it up quite badly. The Greens PR has never been great so even if they have anything to say your chances of hearing it are slim unless you're looking for it.

In short, they both preach to their own choirs and those are not particularly large now.

In other news, I'm enjoying the Corbyn shitshow more by the day. Hopefully he sticks around for a while yet. Just his presence is likely to give "people" on both sides strokes.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Vanadium Gryllz

Maybe I spoke too soon:

hxxps://www.reddit.com/r/unitedkingdom/comments/4qqivq/caroline_lucas_green_party_my_six_point_plan_to/

Quote1) A General election this year so people can choose the Government they want to represent them in the negotiations to come. The current Government has no mandate for negotiations.

2) A Parliamentary vote on any 'terms of exit' BEFORE invoking Article 50. This stops a small cabal at the top of Government having total control over this country's future place in the world.

3) The protection of free movement within the EU, strong environmental protections, workers rights and the Single Market. We're working with a range of environment NGOs and other experts to identify ways to best protect vital Green legislation

4) A second referendum on the terms of a final deal. Britain decided to leave the EU, but nobody knew what kind of Brexit was on the ballot paper. It's only right that we're all given a say.

5) An emergency law which guarantees the rights of non-British nationals already living here in Britain. No one who has come here to make a life for themselves should feel threatened by Brexit.

6) The protection of young people's future. 75% of young people who voted chose to remain. It's only right that the Government should now guarantee continued funding for Erasmus, student exchanges and EU funded schemes targeted at young people.

and:

hxxp://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-07-01/blame-brexit-liars-not-duped-voters-says-lib-dem-s-tim-farron

I think the article from Farron is pretty good, although he claims

QuoteIt is now clear there is absolutely no Brexit plan, either from those who have schemed all of their political lives for this moment, or from George Osborne, who claims it is not his responsibility,

which, while admittedly true, doesn't carry much weight when his plan seemingly amounts to 'try to stay in the Single Market'

Maybe a Lab-Lib-Green coalition could work... I can't see any single  party beating the Tories right now if a GE is called despite the chaos going on over there.

"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

I would think the greens stand a better chance if they just campaigned that they would do everything they could to overturn/block/rerun the referendum. Point 4 should be #1 or 2, really. It's their strongest possible lead. After the Lib-dem fuckup with the conservative coalition, point 6 will be regarded with no small degree of scepticism. It may be better to indicate the total cost that funding this crap through government would cost and note that despite austerity it still exists due to the EU.

It may be worth noting that one of the main pressures in the UK is housing. Council stock has been systematically eroded to the point that there is little left. Rebuilding levels are comically low and councils have little funding or reason to do so. Developers can still opt for S106 that  removes their obligation to provide affordable homes as part of any development by bunging the council a few quid. The Councils are that fucked for cash that they just take it and throw it in the hole. This has been a failing of every government since Thatcher's right to buy crap kicked in.  Housing associations are looking to go the same way as council stock so the situation will deteriorate further. The results are the shitshow you see now with ridiculous rents for shitholes and flats the size of a large shed being with over £1 million in London.

If I was running the greens, that's got to be one of the biggest sticks to beat everyone with. "Your rent is high because these fuckers can't even make councils build 1 house each a year. Of course shit it is going to feel pressured when you do fuck all to release any"

For reference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_towns_in_the_United_Kingdom

Just have a look at the dates the last ones were done. Then consider today's date. We're talking about a 45+ year old problem here that no-one is inclined to fix and yet it's one of the main reasons this shit is going on now. The horrible reality is that sooner or later someone is going to have to build Milton Keynes #2 #3, #4 and more. If you think you've seen anything corrupt yet, just wait until those contracts start floating around. 
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Unfortunately, that works out just peachy for the Saudis and Qataris, which is why they invest their oil money here.  I'm actually fairly sure it's part of a long-term strategy of pushing house prices up via demand, exacerbated by overseas landlords who use their properties 2 weeks a year, to show them that Britain is a safe investment, a place where you can make money, and so you should totally invest in even more property and help fuel the slow-burn property bubble.

Junkenstein

I can't disagree, I'm just seeing a situation where it becomes untenable to sustain with only drastic solutions left as the options.

It will also be worth watching offshore fuckery too. Using phone so notes for when I can: Tobin tax, London status/exemptions, not likely to do well in general post exit.

What's the mood like in london? Still ugly up here though everyone now an expert on politics. Have watched man sign name with an X and then talk about chances of Johnson fucking goves run later. Plausible. Possibly amusing but guarantees may.

Labour vote of no confidence in Corbin 170-40 against. Suspect this means there are approx 20 Max actual left wing labour Mps.

Cain

To be honest, I try not to talk politics with people around here.  I mean, they kill people for their push-bikes, god only knows what they'll do about politics.

I haven't seen any incipient stirring of a riot, but this is Islington.  Admittedly, the poorest part of Islington, but racism's never been a big deal around this area.  Even the criminal gangs tend to have outgoing and progressive views re: skin colour, I think anything except blue is pretty acceptable.

Things are probably different in more Polish inhabited areas though.  The head of the London Polish community, the one whose Hammersmith community centre got vandalised, said it would be riots if something wasn't done. 

Cain

BTW, the Austrian Presidency is going to have to be run again, due to voting irregularities.

This was a campaign, you may recall, that was dominated by the far-right and immigration issues.  Be interesting to see if Brexit has emboldened Austria's own eurosceptics, or had a chilling effect...

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2016, 07:54:47 AM
Those on Facebook may want to have a look at this album:

https://www.facebook.com/sarah.leblanc.718/media_set?set=a.10101369198638985&type=3

I am lucky: I am white, I have a standard British accent (and I carry a torch and spray with me everywhere - the first thug who tries to repatriate me is going to do have to do so missing his teeth and with his skin dyed bright pink).  I'm also an adult male with a somewhat heavier build - I'm among the last person a racist is going to pic on, if they even realised I wasn't British in the first place.

But obviously many people don't have those advantages.

I'm pretty disgusted with this country right now.

Can't access link in app. FB WEBSITE WON'T ALLOW IT.

Alt?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 27, 2016, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: MMIX on June 27, 2016, 03:03:31 PM
I've just watched some grinning pimply youth on the news channel telling me how much better off we will be trading with Ghana than with the European Union which according to another wunderkind is a failed and diminishing continent.

Cain, you are very lucky - I don't drink; what the hell am I supposed to do.   :horrormirth:

Start experimenting with fucked up fetishes?

As an aside I have yet to mention an idea that hit me, SQUAM!

It isn't a fetish. The idea is based on your "girl with the tentacle face" vibe as my brain saw it. SQUAM! is like 20's flapper-esq high-glam + scales, tentacles, pseudo and exopodia, anything that might give Lovecraft or Crowley(ew!) an upsetting boner. I kinda mentioned it in the Why They Are Terrible thread, but it's expanded. I have no idea how to express it, but want to use it as a story mood and setting element one day.

Freadjakovar! :)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 01, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
I've just watched some grinning pimply youth on the news channel telling me how much better off we will be trading with Ghana than with the European Union which according to another wunderkind is a failed and diminishing continent.

Cain, you are very lucky - I don't drink; what the hell am I supposed to do.   :horrormirth:

It isn't a fetish. The idea is based on your "girl with the tentacle face" vibe as my brain saw it. SQUAM! is like 20's flapper-esq high-glam + scales, tentacles, pseudo and exopodia, anything that might give Lovecraft or Crowley(ew!) an upsetting boner. I kinda mentioned it in the Why They Are Terrible thread, but it's expanded. I have no idea how to express it, but want to use it as a story mood and setting element one day.

But, it can still be a fetish, right?

Freeky

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 02, 2016, 12:22:55 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 01, 2016, 11:40:12 PM

But, it can still be a fetish, right?

The real question is, how is it NOT?

(If joke is bomb, I'm sorry.)

Junkenstein

POFP

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 02, 2016, 11:36:19 PM
http://thebrexitplan.com/

Covers everything related nicely.

I wanna click the shiny red button because shiny red button gives information and I crave information and I wanna click the shiny red button to receive the information but when I click the shiny red button it jumps away but why shiny red button I wanna click you I want the information and I wanna show my friends why Brexit is good and to do that I need the information so I need to click the shiny red button but it hates me and I wanna click it and it jumps away from me and the shiny red button is full of secrets I want but secrets I can't have because the shiny red button runs away BUT I CLICKED IT I FUCKING CLICKED IT WITH THE HAND AND THE POINTER AND I CLICKED IT AGAIN I KNOW I CLICKED THE SHINY RED BUTTON but it never works but I can't stop because the shiny red button is shiny and red and I like buttons and I wanna click the shiny red button...
This Certified Pope™ reserves the Right to, on occasion, "be a complete dumbass", and otherwise ponder "idiotic" and/or "useless" ideas and other such "tomfoolery." [Aforementioned] are only responsible for the results of these actions and tendencies when they have had their addictive substance of choice for that day.

Being a Product of their Environment's Collective Order and Disorder, [Aforementioned] also reserves the Right to have their ideas, technologies, and otherwise all Intellectual Property stolen, re-purposed, and re-attributed at Will ONLY by other Certified Popes. Corporations, LLC's, and otherwise Capitalist-based organizations are NOT capable of being Certified Popes.

Battering Rams not included.