News:

I know you said that you wouldn't tolerate excuses, but I have a real good one.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on July 02, 2016, 12:22:55 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on July 01, 2016, 11:40:12 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on June 27, 2016, 08:39:22 PM
Quote from: MMIX on June 27, 2016, 03:03:31 PM
I've just watched some grinning pimply youth on the news channel telling me how much better off we will be trading with Ghana than with the European Union which according to another wunderkind is a failed and diminishing continent.

Cain, you are very lucky - I don't drink; what the hell am I supposed to do.   :horrormirth:

Start experimenting with fucked up fetishes?

As an aside I have yet to mention an idea that hit me, SQUAM!

It isn't a fetish. The idea is based on your "girl with the tentacle face" vibe as my brain saw it. SQUAM! is like 20's flapper-esq high-glam + scales, tentacles, pseudo and exopodia, anything that might give Lovecraft or Crowley(ew!) an upsetting boner. I kinda mentioned it in the Why They Are Terrible thread, but it's expanded. I have no idea how to express it, but want to use it as a story mood and setting element one day.

Freadjakovar! :)

But, it can still be a fetish, right?

I'd like to think of it as something one might develop a fetish for if you failed a Sanity Check in the Call of Cthulhu RPG, but essentially a very "progressive" style of bio-pride as a story concept. "It takes guts to wear that tentacle face" perhaps.

I have images and a partial vignette with a French, thin-moustached inspector character on a train whose name escapes me asking politely to see, opens magazine,

SQUAM! (Wide eyes over top of fashion mag)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Cain

So, the Guardian has a stupid article about how Brexit may not be legal because of reasons.

It's a stupid article and I highly recommend ignoring it.  That said, the BBC actually has raised the possibility that Brexit would require contravening existing UK law, and thus require an Act of Parliament to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36671629

This raises all kinds of issues and questions, as I'm sure you can all see.  Especially when you keep in mind that 2/3rds of all MPs backed staying in the EU.

Bonus fun: Gove justifies knifing Boris in the back because he's the only Leave candidate qualified to lead the country.

Junkenstein

To be fair, it is about time that someone actually thought through the legal side. The balance of MP's views has always been well known so it could cause all kinds of fun if they just decide to ignore it.

Today's comedy line:

QuoteIn his article Ben Wallace MP said: "When I was a government whip and Michael was the chief whip, the office leaked like a sieve.
"Important policy and personnel details made their way to the papers. Michael seems to have an emotional need to gossip, particularly when drink is taken, as it all too often seemed to be."

Liam Fox is apparently in the running. That's surprising considering he's covered in more shit than a small farm.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Also:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36700350

QuoteA law firm is taking action to ensure the formal process for the UK leaving the EU is not started without an act of Parliament.
Mishcon de Reya, lawyers acting for a group of business people and academics, said it would be unlawful for a prime minister to trigger Article 50 without a full debate and vote in Parliament.

Given the speed and nature of UK courts, this could drag out for years. With any luck the matter will be passed to a series of ancient and senile judges who should have the sense to "contemplate the matter" for a while before dying and making it the next guy's problem. I doubt many MP's would have too much of a problem with letting this be a matter for the courts to decide about for a while. A long decision followed by a "you don't have the power to do this, the EU needs to grant it to you" would be great.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

And Farage is apparently going too:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36702468

QuoteNigel Farage says he is standing down as leader of the UK Independence Party.
Mr Farage said he had "done my bit" following the UK's referendum vote to leave the EU.
He said the party was in a "pretty good place" and said he would not change his mind about quitting as he did after the 2015 general election.

Silver linings and all that. If this puppet molester can shut up for a week or two the bigotry might just drop down a notch.

Faust

He drives the UK economy off a cliff, but in a shock twist, dives out before the car crashes into the rocks below. Now all he has to do is retire to Malta or somewhere, and reflect on how he took Britain back for the British people.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Farage's wife is Lithuanian or something, isn't she?  It honestly wouldn't half surprise me if he did that.

On the other hand, Farage quit once before, and Lord Pearson turned UKIP into a counterjihadi horror show as leader, prompting The Nige's triumphant return.  And the last time he tried to resign, the party wouldn't let him.  I try to ignore Douglas Carswell as much as possible, but on a rating between 1 and Mecha-Hitler, just how much of a racist twat is he?  Because I'm thinking it's between him and Pearson as to who gets the crown, if Farage's resignation sticks.

Junkenstein

Carswell did note that the UKIP propaganda was a bit racist.

He was also later to remark that water is wet and was unsure if those cows were small or just very far away.

Cain

I can see him being the preferable choice between the two, though his history re: the expenses scandal could definitely work against him.

Junkenstein

Either way, it's still just picking between STD's. You don't really want either of them and neither choice has any benefits.

babyjesus

Quote from: Cain on July 03, 2016, 10:59:17 AM
So, the Guardian has a stupid article about how Brexit may not be legal because of reasons.

It's a stupid article and I highly recommend ignoring it.  That said, the BBC actually has raised the possibility that Brexit would require contravening existing UK law, and thus require an Act of Parliament to trigger Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-36671629

This raises all kinds of issues and questions, as I'm sure you can all see.  Especially when you keep in mind that 2/3rds of all MPs backed staying in the EU.

Bonus fun: Gove justifies knifing Boris in the back because he's the only Leave candidate qualified to lead the country.

The Guardian is right, Parliament has full sovereignty and isn't bound to trigger art. 50. The Brelection was just an opinion poll and subsequent actions may sweep it out to sea.

Or not.

I don't really get the resistance. At all.

No matter how great it may be to be so lodged in the ass of the EU in some ways, the EU is already demonstrating itself to be a fascist kitty eater.

And revolution, liberty etc ain't easy, or free. There is gonna be some pain and some adjustment. Dig it!

But you get the chance to start over and be sovereign again. And ya'll are resilient.

WTF is there to be afraid of that even remotely compares to what you are gettin free from? You are doing Greece and Italy and Ireland and Spain huge favors in the short term and most of EUrope in the long term.

History will applaud you if you just follow through.

If you don't follow through then every dreamer in EUrope who imagines a life before fascism can just Greece their ass for a a good long fuck.

The future will be a prick stuffed down a human ass, forever.

Cain

Junkenstein

QuoteHistory will applaud you if you just follow through.

Didn't someone say something similar prior to the charge of the light brigade? Kamikaze pilots were given similar words (and meth. No seriously, lots of meth) too and everything worked out OK there, right?