News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babyjesus

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 06:53:31 PM
QuoteHistory will applaud you if you just follow through.

Didn't someone say something similar prior to the charge of the light brigade? Kamikaze pilots were given similar words (and meth. No seriously, lots of meth) too and everything worked out OK there, right?

I love the smell of fear in the morning.

Junkenstein

Quote from: AIbrdwthulrdy on July 04, 2016, 07:46:54 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on July 04, 2016, 06:53:31 PM
QuoteHistory will applaud you if you just follow through.

Didn't someone say something similar prior to the charge of the light brigade? Kamikaze pilots were given similar words (and meth. No seriously, lots of meth) too and everything worked out OK there, right?

I love the smell of fear in the morning.

"I'll take "things Sociopaths say" for $200 Bob."
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Ignoring the child...

The Chancellor has lowered corporate income tax (already the 2nd lowest in the developed world) to try and encourage investment in the UK.  It's not working though....Standard Life Investments have suspended trading in the UK precisely because people are pulling their money out.  And on the projections of the UK going into recession in the new year, the Bank of England is now loosening its restrictions on lending to banks.  Carney's no fool...he's moving now to try and position for when the crisis does hit.  Food prices are going to go up, and if the pound goes much lower against the dollar we will be looking at increased fuel prices...which ultimately means increased prices on most things.  I also remember the economic projections immediately after Brexit predicting an increase in taxes and decrease in public spending, both to offset the loss of EU funding in certain sectors and to try and offset the current economic conditions.

So everyone is going to get poorer, and things are going to go up in cost.  And then people will lose jobs.

With both Boris and Farage gone, and no-one trusting Gove any more unless he keeps both hands on the table and directly in front of people at all times, it's looking increasingly likely that our next PM will be Theresa May.  She may not be the worst option...I mean, when you consider how many Home Office ministers we went through until she came along, I think that alone speaks to a certain political expertise.  And with Osbourne out of the picture, she's the natural candidate for Cameron loyalists to rally around.  But May did campaign to Remain...and it's not clear she has any more idea of how to proceed on Brexit than anyone else.

Meanwhile, there is a shortage of new Irish passports in Northern Ireland, and Scotland continues to plan for independence.  So well done team.  We're not there yet, but if we keep trying we can totally rip the UK apart.

Junkenstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36712550
QuoteMr Juncker spoke of Leave camp "retro nationalists". "Patriots don't resign when things get difficult, they stay," he told MEPs in Strasbourg.
He also said he did not understand why those in the Brexit camp in the UK would want to wait before beginning the formal withdrawal process.
"Instead of developing the plan, they are leaving the boat," he said.

Current rumours include that George RR Martin is writing the plan. He promises it's nearly done and they'll have it soon.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

QuoteFood prices are going to go up, and if the pound goes much lower against the dollar we will be looking at increased fuel prices...which ultimately means increased prices on most things.

I'm telling you, wait for the first winter fuel bill. People of all classes and colours are going to shit themselves when the choice is "Food, Warm or getting to work, Pick two of three".

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 05, 2016, 12:16:14 PM

Meanwhile, there is a shortage of new Irish passports in Northern Ireland, and Scotland continues to plan for independence.  So well done team.  We're not there yet, but if we keep trying we can totally rip the UK apart.

yeah, the unionists while insisting there will be no referrendum on the north, and that everything is FINE, ITS ALL ABSOLUTELY FINE OK!?
are quietly telling their members to all apply for the Irish passport as it is "sound fiscal policy to have access to work in the European market"

It does make sense, I mean if you were given the choice of being allowed to work in the EU without a Visa, or not based on a piece of paper its an easy decision.

There's a depressing one I saw the other day: The children's hospital had a heart surgery ward in NI, which has been moved to Dublin a few years back... The surgeries are free for European children but would costs tens of thousands for people coming in from abroad. Of all the things for the north that need to be bargained with and set down on paper, that's one that really needs to be kept open to the people of NI.
There's those that will argue that the children could be flown to the UK, that is really not a good idea, especially when they can be safely transported to Dublin as an alternative.

Its really grim, of all the bad consequences of the Brexit that there are, I really didn't think dead children would be one of them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

QuoteIts really grim, of all the bad consequences of the Brexit that there are, I really didn't think dead children would be one of them.

Depressingly, this was one of my first assumptions. Sooner or later idiot nationalism gets people killed. Those people are typically the more vulnerable in society so I will be horrified but not surprised when this starts taking a toll on kids/elderly/disabled folk etc.

Cain, you mentioned two dead over brexit, there's the MP and the other was....?

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 05, 2016, 03:10:40 PM
QuoteIts really grim, of all the bad consequences of the Brexit that there are, I really didn't think dead children would be one of them.

Depressingly, this was one of my first assumptions. Sooner or later idiot nationalism gets people killed. Those people are typically the more vulnerable in society so I will be horrified but not surprised when this starts taking a toll on kids/elderly/disabled folk etc.

A generation's dreams.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Cain

Polish schoolgirl committed suicide after bullying in wake of the results.

Junkenstein

The Good Reverend Roger

All it takes is breakdown or partial breakdown of Normal Services, and the very young and the very old start dying like flies.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Well, junior doctors are currently pissed at the government and there's no telling how Brexit may impact on medical prices.  So....

Junkenstein

Faust

Quote from: Cain on July 05, 2016, 04:21:41 PM
Well, junior doctors are currently pissed at the government and there's no telling how Brexit may impact on medical prices.  So....

There is a hiring shortage (in general, regardless of Brexit), it will result in a smaller pool of available staff, which results in longer hours for junior doctors, or closures (which is already happening because of lack of staff), and that's even with the ideal conditions of no strikes for the Junior doctors.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Futher to Cain's above post:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36715806

QuoteM&G Investments has followed two other major finance firms and suspended trading in the UK's biggest property fund following the Brexit vote.
M&G said withdrawals from its £4.4bn fund had risen markedly because of "high levels of uncertainty in the UK commercial property market" since the outcome of the referendum.
Earlier, the UK's biggest insurer, Aviva, halted its £1.8bn property fund.
Financial regulators have said they will reassess such property funds.
Three of the biggest providers of the funds - which offer investors returns from commercial property - have now frozen trading after Standard Life suspended its £2.9bn UK property fund on Monday.

QuoteHousing firms Berkeley Group, Barratt Developments and Persimmon all fell more than 6% on Tuesday, while shares commercial property firm Land Securities dropped lost 3%.

QuoteThe last time Standard Life stopped investors taking money out of its UK real estate fund was during the financial crisis in late 2008.

I'm struggling to write anything extra that isn't just fucking obvious.