News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

lol, wouldn't be surprised if May quit as well now. Eventually it will be a case that a random draw will need to be done, and the victim dragged out and publicly forced to be the Prime minister.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

MMIX

Quote from: Faust on July 11, 2016, 01:47:41 PM
lol, wouldn't be surprised if May quit as well now. Eventually it will be a case that a random draw will need to be done, and the victim dragged out and publicly forced to be the Prime minister.

Its a nice idea, Faust, but I think the party is going to have to be pried from her cold, dead hands. I think the distant rumble I can hear is the biggest beasts of the right moving the furniture around to suit themselves. [so no change there then - no matter how it looks]

ETA I hope this is viewable stateside but this was the bit of Ian Hislop of Question Time that really shone for me
http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/08/ian-hislop-hit-the-nail-on-the-head-on-brexit-5994922/ian-hislop-3/
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

I don't know, it's a big game of "Touched it last" now. May was anti-exit and does know the level of shit an exit would unleash. If she goes for it, everything's fucked. If she doesn't, she's weak politically and then politically fucked because everyones convinced that the result is a must-do mandate.

Quitting because of lack of a proper contest would probably be one of the better moves.

It's even more hilarious because it's hardly like the UK government has given much consideration to public feeling over any issue and yet a non-binding mandate is forcing everyone to make idiotic decisions. Will be fun to see who's the first person to say "Fuck the result, our platform is about staying in"
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

MMIX

Well I don't suppose that's going to be Theresa May who is busy screeching "Brexit means Brexit" :(
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Junkenstein

I suspect that the longer this goes on the closer we'll get to "Brexit means brexit if we can get X concession (that we have no chance of getting) and only then will we move forward to brexit."

If anyone actually does trigger article 50 then every single bit of subsequent shit is going to be laid at their feet. The political legacy will make anyone envy Blair.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Well, that was sort of unexpected.  Any word on what forced Leadsom out?

Junkenstein

Suspect it is due to boats - votes. gathered at last round, did not show a strong enough lead to be a serious contender so do a deal for a decent job under her mMay. Deal should be obvious earlyish Wednesday when she takes over and an ouncesannounces  who has what job. Money on her being given something hilariously beyond her competence level. If anything particularly noteworthy probably  additional promises of support at future leadership campaign when she isn't actually third tier unknown.

Better.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on July 11, 2016, 04:40:06 PM
Well, that was sort of unexpected.  Any word on what forced Leadsom out?

Nothing overt but my money is on the 1922 committee - specifically, whoever it was who dictated her letter of withdrawal

ALSO - do you really find it unexpected? It felt like rain following the sunshine to me - despite the shrill excitement and cum faces of the BBC reporters I've been watching this afternoon.

and Yes I know listening to the Beeb news channel is like reading reply columns, but it is one of my guilty pleasures. If you can't enjoy the news at least you can watch the complex intrigues and manipulations, yanno?

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 11, 2016, 05:21:44 PM
Suspect it is due to boats gathered at last round did not show a strong enough lead to be a serious contender so do a deal for a decent job under her may. Deal should be obvious earlyish Wednesday when she takes over and an ounces who has what job. Money on her being given something hilariously beyond her competence level. If anything particularly noteworthy probably  additional promises of support at future leadership campaign when she isn't actually third tier unknown.

Education or Health then. Home Secretary for the most hilarity  :horrormirth:
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

MMIX

Money on her being given something hilariously beyond her competence level.

so Kennel maid to the local hunt, eh?

Junkenstein

Quote from: MMIX on July 11, 2016, 05:33:44 PM

She'd struggle with "minister of finding own arse with Atlas"

Gove has issued statement of support for May. Shows that you can get it right when there is only one choice at least. Could be amusing if he gets Jilted from the entire cabinet because of his poor decision-making and foresight over the past few weeks.

MMIX

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 11, 2016, 05:39:21 PM
Quote from: MMIX on July 11, 2016, 05:33:44 PM

She'd struggle with "minister of finding own arse with Atlas"

Gove has issued statement of support for May. Shows that you can get it right when there is only one choice at least. Could be amusing if he gets Jilted from the entire cabinet because of his poor decision-making and foresight over the past few weeks.

If poor decision making was relevant to high public office the Palace of Westminster would be empty of everybody but the cleaners and the rats . . .

ETA And within 5 mins of May's statement to camera accepting the poison chalice Justine Greeing MP announces to the Beeb that "Theresa has united the party"
Wow, that was quick wasn't it? And if they say it often enough and the BBC give them enough air time to repeat it ad nauseam the people will believe it, won't they.
£350m a week for the NHS anyone?

Junkenstein

Problem is he has kept on making Poor Decisions in public which makes him look a bit of a tit. Would you be inclined to trust a guy who supported everyone else before you? Cabinet position still likely to be given their due to prominence in EU campaign so he can fuck something else up.

Please ignore strange typos shouting at phone to configure it and translation highly questionable at moment.

MMIX

Quote from: Junkenstein on July 11, 2016, 05:46:36 PM
Problem is he has kept on making Poor Decisions in public which makes him look a bit of a tit. Would you be inclined to trust a guy who supported everyone else before you? Cabinet position still likely to be given their due to prominence in EU campaign so he can fuck something else up.

Please ignore strange typos shouting at phone to configure it and translation highly questionable at moment.

I particularly liked "and an ounces". Glad it is a gremlin thing and not an incipient stroke.  :wink:

Also Gove isn't the only one with decision making skills between zip and zilch. There's that Pig fucker Cameron who got us into this shitty mess in the first place through his catastrophically incompetent decision making and May has just gushed over his blessed memory thanking him for his leadership.

Junkenstein

Cameron surely not stupid enough to pursue politics As Anything beyond backbencher at best. Will be inclined to put as much distance from himself and a pile of shit as he can so would expect him to follow footsteps of Blair to greater or lesser extent.

edit because fucking phone.