News:

PD.com: The combined word for "horror" and "mirth"

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Further fun

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37465452

QuoteFormer PM David Cameron felt "badly let down" by Theresa May during the EU referendum campaign, his former director of communications has said.

Sir Craig Oliver, a former key aide to Mr Cameron, said the then home secretary failed to back the Remain campaign 13 times and was regarded by some as "an enemy agent".

He also said Boris Johnson believed the Leave campaign would be "crushed".

Neither Downing Street nor the foreign secretary has responded to the claims.

The claims are made in a book - Unleashing Demons: The Inside Story Of Brexit - serialised in the Mail on Sunday.

In it, Sir Craig says Mr Cameron briefly considered staying on as prime minister, despite losing the referendum.

However, he says he decided against it, saying he feared remaining in Downing Street would have left him "being prepared for the slaughterhouse".

QuoteSir Craig says Mrs May only came "off the fence" in favour of Remain after Mr Cameron became "visibly wound up" and gave her a dressing down over the telephone.

"Amid the murder and betrayal of the campaign, one figure stayed very still at the centre of it all - Theresa May. Now she is the last one standing," wrote Sir Craig, who was Mr Cameron's director of communications for five years.

QuoteSir Craig also claims Mr Johnson, now foreign secretary, was "genuinely in turmoil" about supporting the Leave campaign and had been "flip-flopping within a matter of hours" of declaring his intention.

The former Mayor of London became a prominent leader of the pro-Brexit campaign.

Sir Craig writes that, the day before throwing his weight behind the Leave campaign, Mr Johnson sent a text to Mr Cameron warning him that he would be campaigning for Brexit.

However, he says Mr Johnson later sent a second message suggesting he could back Remain.

Meanwhile, government appears to have woken up to the fact that if they don't trigger Article 50 at some point, we're going to be voting yet again in European elections, which is almost as farcical as the rest of this process.

Faust

That sounds like it will be a shit or get off the pot moment, the European elections are paid for by each constituent country, I imagine the Farage types will balk at the prospect of paying for something that wont matter in a year or two.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Yeah, but that would mean this country understands how we finance things, or how the EU works.  I don't think we can rely on either being the case.

Faust

So it could just end up sitting in this limbo position until someone starts calling for another referendum or something?

Cain

At this rate, I think no-one, including government, has much of a clue as to what they're doing.  And no-one except the government is even being invited to take part in the initial planning, it seems.  No cross-party committee, no House of Lords input. Certainly no Scottish, Welsh or NI input thus far.  Things that, if I were PM, I would be looking at setting up very quickly.

May's just coasting along, seemingly more concerned with grammar schools than the direction of the country.

Faust

Not including Scotland and NI could easily lead to a break up of the Union, maybe that's what they want, NI is expensive to run, not sure about Scotland.

Cain

The UK would lose out on the North Sea oilfields, at the very least, and have to relocate military bases.  I can understand, to an extent, wanting to wash our hands of NI, but losing Scotland on purpose would be crazy.

Then again, Boris Johnson...

Also no word on if London is going to get any representation.  Sadiq Khan has argued for it, no doubt to bolster his eventual bid for Labour leadership, but also on the basis that so many London residents and businesses will be affected that again, it would be crazy not to.

I mean, I'm assuming something is going on, behind closed doors, but they're pretty closed right now, and there's no telling when they may even invite other stakeholders.  If they do at all.  If they don't...then yeah, this will be a fully blown constitutional crisis.  Probably more than one.

Cain

May has announced Article 50 will be triggered by the end of March 2017.

The European Communities Act 1972 will be repealed, while existing EU laws will be enshrined into a "Great Repeal Bill" to be individually repealed or not later, as Parliament sees fit.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Cain on October 02, 2016, 02:28:49 PM
May has announced Article 50 will be triggered by the end of March 2017.

The European Communities Act 1972 will be repealed, while existing EU laws will be enshrined into a "Great Repeal Bill" to be individually repealed or not later, as Parliament sees fit.

Yeah... I just never thought this was going to happen, but there you go. I looked at the pound vs dollar charts for a bit when you posted elsewhere. You can see the day of the vote clearly on a form of chart that measures a sort of "magnitude" of trade volume overall up or down. There's a ridiculous spike marking the drop. Looks almost like a tectonic shift, but in trillions of units of currency.

Guess this is the new state of things.  :|
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Junkenstein

Pound drops again after the announcement.

Hands up those who are surprised, I have national monuments for sale.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Junkenstein on October 03, 2016, 11:57:36 AM

How much for the whole Giza complex and the "Cleopatra's Needle" in Central London?
Do you accept dodgy bearer bonds or are you ok with Pounds Sterling?
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on October 03, 2016, 03:28:47 PM
Quote from: Junkenstein on October 03, 2016, 11:57:36 AM

How much for the whole Giza complex and the "Cleopatra's Needle" in Central London?
Do you accept dodgy bearer bonds or are you ok with Pounds Sterling?

All future sales of public property will be conducted in zloty.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Q. G. Pennyworth

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on October 03, 2016, 06:09:42 PM
Cain for President of England.

Seconded. Motion to appoint Cain as President of England, and only England, will now hear testimony from the floor before the Oligarchy makes an arbitrary decision.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

pfff, In for a penny in for a pound: Cain for Lord Protector