News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goddess Eris

Cain

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 03, 2016, 03:41:18 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 03, 2016, 02:27:46 PM
Appeal to be heard next month, though I can't possibly imagine why they're bothering.  Even cursory knowledge of how the UK government works meant that Parliament would need to vote.  Not to mention the political ramifications of an unelected government claiming a democratic mandate based on a referendum ("Parliament is sovereign" is apparently really hard to grasp).

Double irony in that the Brexiteers were talking about "restoring sovereignty" to the UK.  Well, this is sovereignty, jackasses.

Incidentally, the trial of the man who shot Jo Cox starts on the 14th.  Mark it in your diaries.

The farage crowd is having fits everywhere and the irony is quite delicious.

There's also interesting implications as a result of the court decision. Expect some odd statements from the law and order mob shortly.

The Bar Council is trying to pressure Lord Chancellor Liz Truss into condemning the press attacks on the judiciary, and Tory MPs (like the eminently sensible Dominic Grieve) have called upon May to also condemn the hysterical press reaction.

No reply from the government so far.  That could be because it's a Saturday, but I suspect it's got more to do with the government secretly being quite pleased at having the press fight their corner.

Cain

Cabinet approved press hysteria confirmed. 

QuoteThe Lord Chancellor has backed the independence of the UK's judiciary but stopped short of condemning attacks on senior judges over the Brexit ruling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37883576

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on November 05, 2016, 05:01:35 PM
Cabinet approved press hysteria confirmed. 

QuoteThe Lord Chancellor has backed the independence of the UK's judiciary but stopped short of condemning attacks on senior judges over the Brexit ruling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37883576

It's going to get funnier. I'm waiting for a clever fucker to work out a way for this to end up in an eu court in some fashion. A human rights breach or something similar would be perfect.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

If the Supreme Court also rules against the government (and they will - to call this an open and shut legal case would miss out on the perfect opportunity to call it a slam dunk), the European Court is the only place they could lodge another appeal in.

And I will laugh.  Maybe not as hard as say, Juncker, but probably close.

Faust

The only way that garbled mess could end up being worse in its execution is if it DID go to the vote, pass in parliament, but the Queen refused to sign it into law. In which case again, they would have to apply to the European court and hope they find her refusal a violation of their human rights and whatever about parliament not being sovereign, in this case it would be sovereign != sovereign.

Now correct me if I am wrong, there was talk of repealing the European convention on human rights; if this occurs BEFORE the appeal, am I correct in understanding that they cannot appeal to the European courts?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

I believe, as a constitutional matter pertaining to EU law, this would be handled by the European Court of Justice, and so the ECHR wouldn't apply (though I believe the idea now is to repeal the ECHR via the Grand Repeal Bill).

However, if the EU Supreme Court finds in the UK's favour (lol), it could then be challenged in the ECHR anyway.

Faust

So either way, that adds what, 3-5 years to this whole mess?

Cain

Assuming they want to be stupid about it.  I'd be somewhat surprised if they pursued it after the Supreme Court ruling - it would be quicker and less painful to suck it up and negotiate with Parliament.

Of course, if the government had brought Parliament in in the first place, set up a cross-Parliamentary committee with access to the Brexit team, brought in the Scottish, Welsh and NI assemblies/parliament, then this wouldn't be an issue.  But no, May wanted to act like a tin-pot dictator.  Law and order politicians...always a certain level of contempt for the law as it actually is, there.

At least we can console ourselves with the thought of how much more of a fuckup this would be if Leadsom or Johnson was PM.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on November 06, 2016, 03:02:58 PM

At least we can console ourselves with the thought of how much more of a fuckup this would be if Leadsom or Johnson was PM.

I would be surprised if either of that unfunny comedy duo would have survived in office for 3 months.
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

True, but then Gove might still be in the running.

Goddess Eris

I left my shitbag ex-husband in London just before they voted to leave the EU, and fuck it if I'm worried for the friends of mine still over there... I'm just cackling like mad that all my exes live in Brexit

and are fuked lol

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

an idle thought.. what do you all think the odds are of the Falklands eventually jumping ship to Argentina now that the UK is dying?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

Faust

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 10, 2016, 11:33:06 PM
an idle thought.. what do you all think the odds are of the Falklands eventually jumping ship to Argentina now that the UK is dying?
Depends entirely upon what happens with Scottland, NI etc. anyone of them exits the union and that will be open the floodgates. Will end up as the Union of England and Wales.

Vanadium Gryllz

Quote from: Faust on November 11, 2016, 08:58:53 AM
Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on November 10, 2016, 11:33:06 PM
Depends entirely upon what happens with Scottland, NI etc. anyone of them exits the union and that will be open the floodgates. Will end up as the Union of England and Wales.

We could be called Wingland to keep morale up.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."