News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

That was their old motto, before the DUP, now its "turning and turning in widening gyre, The centre cannot hold"

I wonder is it that the DUP think they can make a list of demands before they form a government.
What happens if no one party can get the majority even through negotiating with another party, does it go up for election again?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Minority government until someone makes a deal or May is topped by her own backbenchers and/or a vote of no confidence.

I think going to MPs to ask for another election at this stage would be moving well beyond "history repeating itself as farce" and into "history repeating itself as some kind of slapstick toilet humour" territory.  MPs may not even agree to it.

Junkenstein

Farron stepping down as leader of lib dems.

Didn't expect that one.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Sf are coming over for a word about the dup deal with may.
:lulz:
I am praying they go for full on ski mask/balaclava/classic look.

Just the idea of it has me laughing far more than is probably healthy.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Well, I mean, PMQs is going to look like this, so I say let them fit in:

Cain

In addition to being actually terrible, the Grenfall Tower fire is making May even less popular.  That one of her own aide's sat on a report about fire safety for 4 years, and that austerity cuts meant the local council couldn't afford to refurb the fire escapes properly, in addition to her own robotic performance at the scene, make me feel like this may have a disproportionate impact politically.

That there is going to be a public inquiry means a backlash is all but inevitable.  Public inquiry = already an admission of fault.

In other news, May, who keeps promising us she will get the best deal for the UK from the EU, is struggling to close a deal with a party of provincial religious fundamentalists.

Junkenstein

The state of the dup negotiations are very telling for just how bad the eu ones will get. When you can't sweeten less than a dozen mps you've got no chance of getting a deal you want from 20+ countries with a united position.

Cain

Speaking of which...first round of Brexit talks begin on Monday.  The DUP have said just in the past hour that there is still no deadline on a deal.

Junkenstein

May refuses to meet residents affected by fire due to "security concerns" which apparently didn't apply or concern the queen who appeared to shake hands and nod.

The fire in general beyond being horrible will likely keep claiming victims. The start of the who knew what and when has begun in earnest and those implicated so far seem to have the same reasoning of "no action because too expensive". So it looks like we have another incident where the costs for prevention are likely to be a pittance compared to the costs of fixing one fuckup. From the state and extent of the damage, I assume the building will eventually be demolished as refurb costs would be beyond the pale. That will cost a couple of quid and no small amount of heartache.

And then there's the cladding issue which has the potential to unravel and drag in a whole other list of bodies who may be culpable to a degree. Also massive potential cost implications across the UK should something be at fault with install/design practices as the shit is everywhere.

Can't help but think that a bit of asbestos here and there would have saved a lot of lives. From the age of it, it probably would have been built it in there and then removed in the last 20 years or so.

Junkenstein

First political casualty from the fire looking to be barwell, former housing minister, recently tarted about as may's "deputy pm". A no comment and long silent walk from cameras was telling. Literally no comment, nothing. Just the look of a man who's been told he's not got long left and to expect a bad time.

Bets on whether he takes may with him as her appearances have been less than productive. Blair or similar ilk would at least have the pr nuances down at this point: go forth and get publicly nailed to the cross by residents for a while. May's lack of ability to withstand this on a personal or political level will have serious consequences from this. Might even prompt a leadership challenge.

Cain

Apparently the only reason May's still PM is that the Tories fear Gove or Johnson more than her.  I mean literally, they'd toss her overboard with a moment's notice if they thought they had credible alternatives.  They hate her, but they fear the alternatives more.

Politically, this means the Party has decided to go down with the Good Ship May.  Whatever happens, whoever fucks up, someone will take the fall for May, to avert any potential leadership challenge.  That is, unless, someone on the backbenches fancies their chances...

Junkenstein

Quote from: Cain on June 17, 2017, 01:05:28 AM
Apparently the only reason May's still PM is that the Tories fear Gove or Johnson more than her.  I mean literally, they'd toss her overboard with a moment's notice if they thought they had credible alternatives.  They hate her, but they fear the alternatives more.

Politically, this means the Party has decided to go down with the Good Ship May.  Whatever happens, whoever fucks up, someone will take the fall for May, to avert any potential leadership challenge.  That is, unless, someone on the backbenches fancies their chances...

That's what I was thinking. I wouldn't put it past a random tarquin to appear and decide that because his boarding school chum errrolia futheringfulton-blensop got a job doing the pr thing to chance their hand. And once one tries it it's chum in the water. Hell, I wouldn't put it past Rudd to have a stab once she's a bit further past the recent bereavement. Trying your hand now when a few contenders are already weak makes sense.

Cain

Yeah, but who wants to inherit Brexit and the DUP coalition?

Junkenstein

I know that's a joke but I'd bet gove can't walk in public at the thought of it, which is where I'm concerned this could end up.

Junkenstein

I mean seriously,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40298473

Look at may in that interview. That's a woman who's not getting any sleep. And it's that noticable, it's going to get remarked upon. Once you've got the "doesn't she look tired" line out, the rest is inevitable. Add in how terrible the interview was (Rambling, non-answers to questions, not even evasive just outright answering a totally different question) and I'd say a leadership challenge isn't in the realms of madness.