News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

EU negotiations start today.

The EU is worried that the Tories will crumble under the pressure of the negotiations and leave without a deal:

QuoteEuropean leaders fear that Theresa May's government is too fragile to negotiate viable terms on which to leave the union, meaning the discussions that officially begin on Monday could end in a "brutal Brexit" – under which talks collapse without any deal.

As officials began gathering in Brussels on Sunday night, the long-awaited start of negotiations was overshadowed by political chaos back in Westminster, where chancellor Philip Hammond warned that failing to strike a deal would be "a very, very bad outcome".

The EU side fears that, in reality, the British government will struggle to maintain any position without falling apart in the coming months, because, without support from the Democratic Unionist party, May's negotiating hand is limited. There are also concerns that any DUP backing to give May a majority in the House of Commons would come with strings attached.

Faust

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-40347632

DUP trying to extort 2 Billion to prop up government. This probably comes as a surprise to many in the UK unfamiliar with the DUP, we've had to put up with these morons for years.

The next step is the Tories refuse and the DUP accuse the Tories of not supporting the people of Northern Ireland and treating unionists as second class citizens, if not going full idiocy and accusing the Tories of being disgusting Catholic Taigs undermining the Empire.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

:lulz:

What I find really funny about this is that I do follow NI politics enough to know that the DUP are morons.  But right now, the Tories are failing to negotiate with them.  Think about what this means for Brexit, when we'll be negotiating with the best and brightest of 26 nations.

Faust

UK fails to Negotiate with itself, delays negotiation with remaining 26 nations.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Junkenstein

Hs2 seems to have gotten a quiet nod as well. So along with an unknown brexit bill gods know how many billions that will end up costing for an irrelevant return.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Every single tested building in the UK so far has failed the cladding fire tests they have been put through.

Meanwhile, still no government.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2017, 03:34:28 AM
Every single tested building in the UK so far has failed the cladding fire tests they have been put through.

Meanwhile, still no government.

So we'll just wait while the free market makes your buildings not be deathtraps, then?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Pretty much.  I mean, I hope you weren't expecting the councils to pay for them to be made safe.   :lulz:  Local authorities are so cash-starved even Tory councils are protesting government spending cuts.

Now, even without a government I'd like to think most of Parliament would probably agree having entire buildings be fire-based deathtraps probably isn't great.  But...well, there's only room on the government agenda for Brexit.

So we'll just have to hope there's no fires between now and March 2019.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2017, 03:43:10 AM
Pretty much.  I mean, I hope you weren't expecting the councils to pay for them to be made safe.   :lulz:  Local authorities are so cash-starved even Tory councils are protesting government spending cuts.

Now, even without a government I'd like to think most of Parliament would probably agree having entire buildings be fire-based deathtraps probably isn't great.  But...well, there's only room on the government agenda for Brexit.

So we'll just have to hope there's no fires between now and March 2019.

I wonder how we got here?

I mean, besides the whole "left devouring itself" thing.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Cain

Only listening to poor people when they bash the EU and immigrants.  Poor people, complaining that their building is a deathtrap?  Pffft, what do they know.  Poor people, complaining about the EU?  Clearly geniuses in touch with the country's true feelings. 

We've pretty much mastered a political system where if you don't have money you only get heard when your opinions flatter Fleet Street Barons or the politicians who fellate them.  If you dare complain about actual issues with a real impact, you'll be ignored and left to die.

Incidentally, Labour is 46 to Tories 41 in national polls right now.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2017, 03:49:45 AM
Only listening to poor people when they bash the EU and immigrants.  Poor people, complaining that their building is a deathtrap?  Pffft, what do they know.  Poor people, complaining about the EU?  Clearly geniuses in touch with the country's true feelings. 

We've pretty much mastered a political system where if you don't have money you only get heard when your opinions flatter Fleet Street Barons or the politicians who fellate them.  If you dare complain about actual issues with a real impact, you'll be ignored and left to die.

Incidentally, Labour is 46 to Tories 41 in national polls right now.

Where were they in the polls at the time of the election?  I've been noticing that the left is vocal as hell in polls, etc, but don't actually vote.

Cain

It was 39-42 to the Tories, with several close calls in key voting districts.  The UK's gerrymandered too...not to the extent the US is, but the actual polling figures show that the gap between Labour and the Tories is only a few thousand votes, over the entire country. 

And you have to remember, when the election started, the Tories had a 20 point lead. 

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on June 26, 2017, 04:07:41 AM
It was 39-42 to the Tories, with several close calls in key voting districts.  The UK's gerrymandered too...not to the extent the US is, but the actual polling figures show that the gap between Labour and the Tories is only a few thousand votes, over the entire country. 

And you have to remember, when the election started, the Tories had a 20 point lead.

Yeah, and I can see how they pissed it away.  Why do they let Theresa May speak in public?

Cain

Too Strong And Stable for the public to handle.  But truthfully, she's basically a control freak.  So she didn't trust anyone outside her small circle of sycophants with anything, and, surprise surprise...

Supposedly Tory rebels are considering the Chancellor as a potential replacement for May, which isn't entirely terrible.  Hammond has all the charisma of a dead squid (so roughly May's equal), but he's actually not insane and competent, in a mildly technocratic fashion.  He's also surprisingly realistic on Brexit, for someone who is still in the Cabinet. 

Personally, I'd like to see a Tory Party run by Dominic Grieve.  It would mean potentially turning over the Intelligence and Security Committee to some lunatic, but otherwise, he's probably the best hope the Tories have right now.

Vanadium Gryllz

We have Government!  :banana:

But it's the Tories propped up by DUP  :sadbanana:
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."