News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

The law has been changed so that the DUP don't have to reveal the highly suspicious donors who funded their pro-Brexit campaign during the referendum.

I think we all know why this is, but for those catching up: it was to get around campaign donation limits on Brexit, likely done at the behest of pro-Brexit Tories, done via a deniable cutout in the Middle East (who are often co-funders for the financial backers of the Tory Party).

The DUP, a bunch of yokels, don't just suddenly get given a little shy of half a million for no reason. 

Cain

BTW, there's some serious rioting going on in Dalston right about now.

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Apparently some guy died during arrest by the police last week, so the UK branch of Black Lives Matter were out in force.  Beyond that, I don't know much, except that the situation appears to be spiralling right now

Here's some footage https://twitter.com/m8xyl/status/891045494583152644

Vanadium Gryllz

Police seem to be much better prepared this time around.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

There looked like an equal or greater number of cops than protesters?

Just saying, I'm all for a fair fight and whatnot but that seems like an excessive response and more a failure at a local level. Not been able to find any coverage, anyone seen any relevant numbers?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Not seen numbers yet, but I don't know at what point the footage was filmed.  If it had already been going on for a while, no doubt the police called in backup.

What's more surprising is that they were able to get it under control, given 7 years of austerity cuts.

Junkenstein

After years of cuts and minimal pay rises, I would assume the main perk left to police is the ability to kick the shit out of protesters every now and then while getting overtime pay.

Cain

Things are going well for the Brexit negotiations

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/09/brexit-political-party-james-chapman-david-davis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_BaconReader_Premium

QuoteThe former chief of staff to David Davis has said Brexit is a catastrophe, and suggested that Boris Johnson and other leading Brexit campaigners should be jailed for claiming there would be an extra £350m a week for the NHS after the UK left the European Union.

James Chapman, a former special adviser who now works for a public relations firm, expressed his real views about leaving the EU in an online tirade after working for the Brexit secretary for a year at the Department for Exiting the European Union.

QuoteChapman went on to direct a series of tweets at cabinet ministers raising concerns about the impact of Brexit on their department. He asked Karen Bradley, the culture secretary, whether she could "confirm all US broadcasters are moving out of London because of the PM's deranged hard Brexit" and tweeted to Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, asking how millions of British tourists would maintain access to emergency healthcare while in the EU.

In another question directed at Greg Clark, the business secretary, he said: "I know you don't agree with this nonsense, but can you confirm it'll take 7 years to implement alternative Euratom regime?"

Junkenstein

Reports of Rees-Muppet making a quiet leadership bid while may mea maxima culpas to the party at large for everything being a bit of a shitshow.

The question is, next election this year or next? The real question being who will be left holding the bag for brexit when it comes (or doesn't) as that's the next person out the door.

It's almost impressive, regardless of any decision now made, or even a full u-turn, you're committed to political suicide either way. The timescale just happens to be shorter the higher up you are.

Junkenstein

So are we doing the "UK politicians raping everything" in this thread or a new one?

Same question to the "UK corrupt as fuck for tax evasion" thing.

Also for the record, Fallon, the "Ultra reliable" defence minister gone from government over various allegations and being unable to say how/what many more may yet still come. "Deputy PM" also facing allegations, not gone.... yet.

It's really not about "if" this government collapses anymore, it's a "when". And that When basically comes to 3 categories:

1 - Quick collapse before any solid deal

2 - Slow collapse leading up to or after a deal or no deal is confirmed.

3 - After the official exit date in March.

Bookies not giving good odds on option 3. A couple more resignations and bits of bad news and the odds of 2 are also going to suffer. When the next bit of grenfell news drops, woe betide may if this crap is still in the news.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 07, 2017, 12:51:29 AM
So are we doing the "UK politicians raping everything" in this thread or a new one?

Also for the record, Fallon, the "Ultra reliable" defence minister gone from government over various allegations and being unable to say how/what many more may yet still come. "Deputy PM" also facing allegations, not gone.... yet.

It's really not about "if" this government collapses anymore, it's a "when". And that When basically comes to 3 categories:

Bookies not giving good odds on option 3. A couple more resignations and bits of bad news and the odds of 2 are also going to suffer. When the next bit of grenfell news drops, woe betide may if this crap is still in the news.

Who are the contenders for a prison term?
Molon Lube

Vanadium Gryllz

There's been so much mental news lately it's hard to keep up.

From what I can tell from the tax evasion stuff nobody's going to prison because a) they're rich and b) it's (in some cases) a bit of a non-story because it's all been done through hedge fund managers who are diversifying assets. Not like the Queen is personally picking all of her investments.

From the rapey politicians... also probably nobody unless some  way more severe and substantiated allegations come out.
"I was fine until my skin came off.  I'm never going to South Attelboro again."

Junkenstein

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 07, 2017, 03:04:41 AM

Nowadays, pretty much everyone. A couple are going to need to be pilloried and sacrificed so the rest can nod seriously and talk about how everything is now different. Personally, I've got a fiver on Green (Deputy PM) as it just seems inevitable.

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on November 07, 2017, 03:04:41 AM