News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Raab failed to negotiate anything, was belligerent with the EU who just stonewalled him and negotiation had to continue without him.
He should be resigning, but not because of the deal proposed, but because of his abject failure to bring home any alternative.
I'm seeing some comments about Ref2 which up until now the brexiteers were saying would violate "the will of the people". I am hoping if it comes down to it, it will be ref on this deal, or stay in the EU.
No deal should never be presented as an option because it would go through without anyone thinking about the consequences.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

May's trying the same thing, saying it's her deal, no deal or no Brexit.

Labour are also against it, no surprise.  Labour + ERG rebels could kill this in Parliament.  That's assuming May is still PM next week, which is not a given.

Cain

The EU is also saying this is as good a deal as they can provide, that "the EU is at the limit of what will work on EU side - this is an extraordinarily generous EU approach to the British."

Cain

This is unusually frank, even for an Irish diplomat

QuoteIrish diplomatic source, while May is speaking: "Our caution is being shown to be well placed... If the crazies tear it down, the Irish people will know the crazies tore it down."

Faust

That is very candid, surprised there wasn't backlash over that comment.

It will be seen that way, it's no secret that if it all goes to shit the DUP and tories will have that blame laid at their doorstep. Pretending NI doesn't exist (tories) or trying to drive a wedge between NI and the Republic(DUP) would accelerate a united Ireland.
It's cynical, but all SF have had to do is sit back and watch the dumpster fire and step in in  a year to say how much better it would be to be part of the republic.

Cain

Assuming Stormont ever gets going again, that is.  Between this and the Tories tainting themselves as an actor in the process, I can see direct rule being reimposed...with all that entails.

Faust

Direct rule would accelerate the process, union support would drop rapidly, which the Tory's could be happy with, and bring forward a border poll, I'd be happy with that but it would be chaos.

More resignations. Gove absent from HOC so he's probably going to jump ship as well.

Cain

I'm more concerned that a return to direct rule will be a shot in the arm for the paramilitaries on both sides.  Not to mention if the Army is being deployed in England to maintain order as is the current plan, then it won't have the resources to go elsewhere...

Which is another point.  I know that generally speaking, an attack on the Falklands would be suicidally stupid, but Argentina has to be considering the odds. 

Lib Dems have come out against the deal.  It seems safe to say this wont pass Parliament.  Rumours are that a vote of no-confidence could happen as soon as tomorrow.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2018, 12:09:27 PM
Gove absent from HOC so he's probably going to jump ship as well.

Rumour is that he's being offered Brexit Secretary job.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2018, 12:17:14 PM

HAS THE UK NOT SUFFERED ENOUGH

Faust

Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2018, 12:15:52 PM
It seems safe to say this wont pass Parliament.  Rumours are that a vote of no-confidence could happen as soon as tomorrow.
Mogg openly threatening it. I don't think they will, doing so would split the party in two. Actually that could be a good thing.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2018, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2018, 12:17:14 PM

HAS THE UK NOT SUFFERED ENOUGH

The offer has been confirmed by the Telegraph.  No word on a decision yet.

Quote from: Faust on November 15, 2018, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: Cain on November 15, 2018, 12:15:52 PM
It seems safe to say this wont pass Parliament.  Rumours are that a vote of no-confidence could happen as soon as tomorrow.
Mogg openly threatening it. I don't think they will, doing so would split the party in two. Actually that could be a good thing.

He's not the only one who's made the threat.  The ERG are having an emergency meeting in 20 minutes though, so I suppose we will hear soon enough

Cain

Hearing rumours that Gove has turned down the role and resigned, and that Mogg has put in the no-confidence call.  Waiting for confirmation on both.

Edit: letter confirmed, but not clear if he has 48 MPs to back him yet.

LMNO

Taking it back to basics for us 'Murricans, do I understand the plan is to "legally" leave the EU, but leave the EU trade deals in place "for the foreseeable future" until they can re-negotiate.

Why on earth would the EU ever agree to that?

Cain

For 21 months, the "transition period", the UK would have to follow all existing EU legislation and continue to implement rulings from EU bodies, such as ECHR, with a clause allowing extension of that period (and subsequently a continuation of following EU policy) while the UK and EU negotiate a final trade deal.