News:

if the thee off of you are revel in the fact you ds a discordant suck it's dick and praise it's agenda? guess what bit-chit's not. hat I in fact . do you really think it'd theshare about shit, hen you should indeed tare-take if the frontage that you're into. do you really think it's the hardcore shite of the left thy t? you're little f/cking girls parackind abbot in tituts. FUCK YOU. you're latecomers, and you 're folks who don't f/cking get it. plez challenge me.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on January 16, 2019, 12:29:44 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 16, 2019, 12:18:39 AM
Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2019, 11:26:03 PM
Worst vote result in UK government history isn't it?
I don't know what to make of it, I see people slating May but I don't see what other deal could ever have been reached, they would all require the backstop, or NI to be treated differently to the rest of the UK.
So the choice is now no deal, or remain right?
I've started seeing people saying "let no deal happen, then the EU will REALLY start to negotiate" but what I see happening is the UK approaching the EU for small things (access to Europol, citrus goods etc) and getting vetoed unless the backstop is the first thing on the agenda.
Even Greece which had 30 years of vetoing Turkey would occasionally allow stuff through for massive bribes. Ireland will only ever have one requirement.
It looks like massive economic catastrophe for Ireland and the UK. Ireland knows what it feels like from experience, but it can now be part of it and the UK's shared cultural experience.

All of this seems so pointless, we live in the haunted relic of Cameron's ego

No deal seems to imply the more or less instant collapse of the UK.
Probably, could trigger a chain reaction like 2008 as well depending on how much exposure the banks have

It's going to be worse than that, really.  The UK is 3.5% of the world's GDP.  Having it implode would be far, far worse than 2008.
Molon Lube

Faust

Wonderful. Since 1922 northern Ireland has been Irelands problem, now, it's everyone's problem.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on January 16, 2019, 12:18:57 AM
Quote from: Cain on January 15, 2019, 09:21:57 PM
That went well

What happened?

Worst Parliamentary defeat in modern history.

And now we're rapidly heading towards Brexit with no viable, widely supported plan in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cain

Quote from: Faust on January 15, 2019, 11:26:03 PM
So the choice is now no deal, or remain right?

Effectively yes, no matter how much Parliament deludes itself otherwise. Norway option and renegotiation are not viable. And the non-confidence vote today is probably going to fail as well

Faust

They have to realise that before March 29th though right, I'm not confident that they will become grounded in reality before that...

Cain

May's still refusing to talk with Labour, so...

LMNO

Help me understand how this is a thing: May's deal was unprecedentedly defeated in a landslide, and yet she'll most likely beat a no confidence vote?

Faust

Quote from: LMNO on January 16, 2019, 01:05:50 PM
Help me understand how this is a thing: May's deal was unprecedentedly defeated in a landslide, and yet she'll most likely beat a no confidence vote?
Her own party voted against her for the deal. But they still want to stay in power and don't want an election so will not vote with the opposition in the no confidence vote.

Cain

Quote from: LMNO on January 16, 2019, 01:05:50 PM

Well, you see, they have no confidence in May as a leader, her judgement or her ability to pass legislation through Parliament.

However, they are very confident that she is not Jeremy Corbyn.

Cain

OK everyone, now we can get back to May ignoring everyone else's advice on Brexit.

LMNO

Hold up -- IS there advice?

I mean, is there a viable solution to all this that seems like it would have a good chance of passing/working?

Because from what I've seen so far, it's not if things go to shit, it's when and how fast.

Cain

Not really, that ship has long sailed.

But back when May became PM, everyone was expecting her to create some kind of Parliamentary cross-party committee to deal with Brexit.  You know, get Labour and the Lib Dems and the SNP and the House of Lords and the London Mayoral office, the Scottish Parliament and the Welsh and NI Assemblies, maybe set up ways different bodies and agencies, including business, could have an input on the proceedings.

Instead, May localised control for Brexit within the Cabinet.  She painted herself into a corner by coming out with "red lines" for a hard Brexit - no freedom of movement, no staying in the customs union etc.  She then spent two years pissing off everyone in UK and European politics to the point that even if we wanted to pursue a Norway option now, of staying in the wider customs union, the members of that club wouldn't let us join because of our disruptive influence and fear that we would try to use them to strike back at the EU - that's not my assessment, that's Norway's.

But even today, May was saying she wasn't going to talk with Corbyn about a second plan because he didn't have any ideas.  Instead she's going to talk with select Parliamentary members, all unnamed, to try and figure out what would be acceptable.  Whatever answer she gets, it won't please the EU or it will piss off a constituency whose support she needs (the DUP or ERG). 

LMNO

Doktor Howl

This is like watching someone hit themselves in the balls with a brick. 

You say "maybe you should stop hitting your balls with a brick," and they say, "too late to stop now."
Molon Lube