News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2019, 07:39:00 PM
Deal rejected, again

I'm guessing she's just going to put the stupid fucking thing up for another vote?
Molon Lube

Cain

Nope, there's no more time for that.

Tomorrow there is a vote on whether to pursue No Deal or not, and then on Thursday there will be a vote on extending Article 50.

The vote to reject No Deal will pass, and it's likely so will the vote to extend Article 50.  However, with Europe now being done with negotiating and there being no viable "Plan B" the question of extending to what end can no longer be avoided.

From here things will get messy.  May could pursue a softer version of Brexit, remaining in the Customs Union.  This would be sensible, and could command enough support from Labour and moderate Tories to pass, but the far-right will label her as a traitor who betrayed Brexit forever more.

There could be a second referendum, but May has already ruled that out.

The Tory party can't attempt to overthrow May again before December, because they already blew their load on that last December.  A general election could shake things up, but if May stands down as PM and Tory leader then there will be a Tory civil war which will likely rip the party apart.  And there's no guarantee that this would change the overall calculus in Parliament any.

Cain

And we have to leave before June regardless, because the European elections are then, and of course we didn't prepare for them because we intended to be out before then. 

altered

Quote from: Cain on March 12, 2019, 08:23:01 PM
Nope, there's no more time for that.

Tomorrow there is a vote on whether to pursue No Deal or not, and then on Thursday there will be a vote on extending Article 50.

The vote to reject No Deal will pass, and it's likely so will the vote to extend Article 50.  However, with Europe now being done with negotiating and there being no viable "Plan B" the question of extending to what end can no longer be avoided.

From here things will get messy.  May could pursue a softer version of Brexit, remaining in the Customs Union.  This would be sensible, and could command enough support from Labour and moderate Tories to pass, but the far-right will label her as a traitor who betrayed Brexit forever more.

There could be a second referendum, but May has already ruled that out.

The Tory party can't attempt to overthrow May again before December, because they already blew their load on that last December.  A general election could shake things up, but if May stands down as PM and Tory leader then there will be a Tory civil war which will likely rip the party apart.  And there's no guarantee that this would change the overall calculus in Parliament any.

I have to ask how your guys in government get anything done at all ever with all this dog fucking.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

That's cute, you think we've done anything else for the past 2 years.

The NHS is falling apart, teachers are begging parents for money, homelessness has spiralled out of control, the army is being run on a skeleton crew, Russians are using WMDs in the streets and all we can talk about is tEh wIlL oF tEh pEoPlE

Cain

lulz, the government has something approaching minus infinity credibility.  After trying to enforce a three-line whip, several Cabinet members voted against May, and are still in their positions today, barring the one that resigned of her own volition.

The Tory party is falling apart.  All illusion of discipline is lost.

Faust

Could that lead to cross party cooperation? Or more likely just more chaos
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

So long as May stubbornly clings to her red lines, only more chaos.

Cain

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Article 50 extended. If Europe agrees, we can have months more of this bullshit to look forward to, maybe even years

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 14, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
Article 50 extended. If Europe agrees, we can have months more of this bullshit to look forward to, maybe even years

This is the future I was promised.  :lulz:
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Well we have to have a third vote on May's rejected plan, see.

Because asking the people just once is democracy, while asking Parliament the same thing over and over again is....also democracy?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on March 15, 2019, 09:06:40 PM
Well we have to have a third vote on May's rejected plan, see.

Because asking the people just once is democracy, while asking Parliament the same thing over and over again is....also democracy?

How is nobody having a field day with that?
Molon Lube