News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Wizard Joseph

Protests and police

Protests and counter-protests will take place across the UK, using up police resources. There may also be a rise in public disorder and community tensions...

...The poor

Low-income groups will be disproportionately affected by rises in the price of food and fuel.
This is two of the shortest, least technical entries but they may be the most significant.
Sounds like a good recipe for rioting in the streets. I wonder if it's going to get to the point of imposing martial law.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Martial law is automatically applied with curfews from November 1st as there are problems expected. Within the first week (even before there is a shortage of food) people are expected to panic  buy and empty the shelves. Nothing makes people riot faster than a few days of empty shelves.

The most frustrating part of this for me now is: What is the fucking point? What wonderful prize is there waiting that makes this worth it? What is the up side?
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

The UK just confirmed it is ending freedom of movement for EU citizens.

So say we have an Irish nurse, working in the NHS. She goes home on holiday, between October 30th and November 1st. She may not be allowed back in on November 1st.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Faust on August 18, 2019, 05:35:34 PM
Martial law is automatically applied with curfews from November 1st as there are problems expected. Within the first week (even before there is a shortage of food) people are expected to panic  buy and empty the shelves. Nothing makes people riot faster than a few days of empty shelves.

The most frustrating part of this for me now is: What is the fucking point? What wonderful prize is there waiting that makes this worth it? What is the up side?

Having serfs again.
Molon Lube

Cain

Reminds me, I need to renew my Australian passport. Worst comes to worst, I will leave.

MMIX

Quote from: Cain on August 18, 2019, 10:19:11 PM
Reminds me, I need to renew my Australian passport. Worst comes to worst, I will leave.

Just don't forget us little people :(
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Doktor Howl

Quote from: MMIX on August 18, 2019, 10:24:35 PM

Both of you can come to Tucson and live forever.   :)
Molon Lube

altered

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 19, 2019, 03:16:22 AM

Both of you can come to Tucson and live forever.   :)

You know the saying, "no rest for the wicked?"

Tucson says "all of ye are sinners and none shall be saved."* I didn't even visit when traveling through Arizona and now I get shitty texts about needing to come back from a little piece of my soul that Tucson's gravity well pulled clean off of the rest of me.

* - I feel like 70% sure I stole that bit from somewhere but my memory refuses to say where from. As such, I refuse to feel bad about it.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

Cain

Flee to Ireland now!

Seriously, Australia or New Zealand are not exactly my top choices. But it's a "no questions asked" situation, so...

(first choice would be hiding in a mountain cabin in Switzerland, but I'm not rich enough for that)

Cain

Speaking of not being rich, the Tories announced today that they want to raise the retirement age until 75.

Because it's not enough to screw over my generation on tuition fees and affordable housing, now it's on pensions too.

Not that I ever expected to retire, anyway. I'd like to, I just knew bastards like the Tories would make it impossible.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 19, 2019, 02:00:52 PM
Speaking of not being rich, the Tories announced today that they want to raise the retirement age until 75.

Because it's not enough to screw over my generation on tuition fees and affordable housing, now it's on pensions too.

Not that I ever expected to retire, anyway. I'd like to, I just knew bastards like the Tories would make it impossible.

I am guessing that half the country said "stands to reason" and never once considered how it will fuck them personally.
Molon Lube

Cain

Well you have to remember that if you're 55 years old and a Tory voter, you're in the youth wing of the party.

Everyone else who votes for the Tories tends to be 60+ and already retired. It's the same people who voted for Brexit: they already got theirs, fuck everyone else.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Nah, this is good news for Brexit. This means we're winning and the Germans are losing.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 19, 2019, 08:52:04 PM
Nah, this is good news for Brexit. This means we're winning and the Germans are losing.

We are knocking holes in their end of the lifeboat faster.   :lulz:
Molon Lube