News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

altered

Isn't he more worthy of an Oliver Cromwell? Head on a pike as a warning to the others, you know.
"I am that worst of all type of criminal...I cannot bring myself to do what you tell me, because you told me."

There's over 100 of us in this meat-suit. You'd think it runs like a ship, but it's more like a hundred and ten angry ghosts having an old-school QuakeWorld tournament, three people desperately trying to make sure the gamers don't go hungry or soil themselves, and the Facilities manager weeping in the corner as the garbage piles high.

MMIX

Quote from: nullified on August 29, 2019, 03:04:31 AM
Isn't he more worthy of an Oliver Cromwell? Head on a pike as a warning to the others, you know.

Nah, Cromwell was already dead when they did that to him; the king was very much alive.

Hence this example on the crucial significance of commas famous to generations of british kiddies:-
King Charles  I walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off vs
King Charles  I walked and talked, half an hour after his head was cut off

ed- sod it, bloody machine nicked my comma
"The ultimate hidden truth of the world is that it is something we make and could just as easily make differently" David Graeber

Cain

It's been fun spamming Cabinet members with their own quotes (from a whole two months ago) about how terrible suspending Parliament would be and asking them when they intend to resign.

I think my Twitter alt is getting banned.

Cain

Hahahaha

I'm not saying it was just me (the link has been spread so far and wide over social media at this point my granny probably would have dragged him over it, and she didn't know how email worked), but @TeamSaj deleted their quote from Sajid Javid during the leadership debates about how "you don't deliver on democracy by trashing democracy" in reference to suspending Parliament.

Along with EVERYONE ELSE IN THE CABINET who spoke out against it, the Saj continues to serve in the Cabinet, with no comment on the current situation and seemingly no plans to resign.

Fucking cowards, the lot of them.

Junkenstein

Did you expect any better? Half the cabinet is former pm candidates just waiting for their turn. It's too early to dissent now. More damage done and more pr if you bail out later. Or say, when promised funds don't appear when promised for your department. When you promise everyone everything, no-one gets anything.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

Well given Theresa May couldn't blow her nose without a Cabinet member resigning, I am slightly surprised.

Knifing Boris in the back is also a good way to secure one's place in the history books.

Junkenstein

Javid is having aides and advisors sacked without his knowledge. So I'd guess it's between him and gove.

Davidson jumped straight away and there's been no rush to join her. Or even much comment on the departure which essentially kills the Tories in Scotland. For what that's worth. Hardly a stronghold and looking increasingly like a future cost of Brexit.

They're both probably praying for labour et all to actually do something, anything, that will let them take themselves off the hook.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Junkenstein

Ignore that bit about javid, he's apparently super special extra best friends with Johnson and is in no way being given the mushroom treatment.

Cain

:lulz:

Those flaming rows are perfectly normal between besties

Junkenstein

For such an excellent businessman, you would have thought he would understand the implications to the actions a bit better.

I.e look for another job sharpish mate, it isn't going to get better for you.

Cain

Any Tory party member who votes for an extension to our leaving the EU will now be deselected, according to the CCHQ.

For our American friends, that means they will no longer be able to stand as an MP for the Tory party.

Meanwhile, London protests are in the tens of thousands and people are marching on Buckingham Palace.

Cain

Well, that's not at all a dangerous proposition.

Gove has refused to rule out that, if Parliament passes a law preventing No Deal, that the government could just ignore the law in question.

Juana

That's definitely going to work out, isn't it?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Johnny

Quote from: Cain on September 01, 2019, 01:43:29 PM
Well, that's not at all a dangerous proposition.

Gove has refused to rule out that, if Parliament passes a law preventing No Deal, that the government could just ignore the law in question.

WeR'e SaViNg DeMoCrAcY fRoM iTsElf !11!!

iT's tHe WiLl oF tHe PeOpLe !1!!
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Juana on September 02, 2019, 02:27:31 AM
That's definitely going to work out, isn't it?

The thing is, constitutionally it's possible to do so. It's just the kind of thing which has never been done before as a matter of convention and tradition.

Still, if it does happen, then Parliament need to VONC the PM, right away.

It's scary how quickly we are devolving into an authoritarian state. First we decide on a policy that explicitly was mentioned as not being an option during the referendum. Then we suspend Parliament to avoid votes against that option. Then MPs are threatened with losing their positions over it (in addition to the actual threats on their lives they receive from the Brexit Uber Alles morons, every day). And now we've reached the "we don't actually need to listen to what Parliament says" stage.

All of this from a PM who was selected by less than 91,000 people and whose only democratic legitimacy rests with the support of the Parliament he shows so much contempt for.

King Charles I also thought he didn't need to listen to Parliament.