News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

He thinks he can grift the EU with the same bullshit moves he pulled on his editors, readers and ex-girlfriends.

Faust

When asked to present his alternative plan for the backstop, Boris presented the Withdrawal Agreement, with the section about the backstop removed.
A lot of people focusing on the podium by the protesters fiasco but to me the above is a much more humiliating.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cain

Well the podium thing is just the sublime end moment of the "chicken Corbyn" meme that Downing Street has been trying to push oh so very hard, so it's understandable why people might focus on that.  Like, you can't accuse people of cowardice for weeks on end then run away at the first sign of scrutiny.

But yeah. That's also pretty bad.

Faust

Yes, I suppose that was compounded by him literally comparing himself to the incredible hulk and then slinking away like a coward from the booos.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

So, not Brexit-related, but this is how it goes when end up in the public eye in the UK.

A very angry father confronts Boris Johnson at a hospital, over how the NHS has "been destroyed" under the Tories and in particular that his own daughter nearly died due to a lack of staffing to see her after she was taken to the hospital.

Within hours, the BBC's political editor decides not just to reveal that the man is a Labour activist, (which is fair and somewhat relevant, though it shouldn't be the defining aspect of the encounter), but also tweet out his personal twitter account.

Naturally, as a result, he is now being inundated with BoJo trolls saying this is all a Labour conspiracy, that his daughter doesn't exist etc.

The BBC decided this hilariously tone-deaf statement was appropriate as a response to people who rightly said "yo, wtf?"

FWIW, the father in question has said she is "doing her job without fear or favour", though he did note "Labour activist cares about the NHS" is not a huge scoop.

Fujikoma

To be honest, reading this thread and looking up the details has me really worried. If I were you and had the option, I would get out while I still could.

Fujikoma

If you are currently living in the UK or Ireland, this is not a drill, please vacate immediately. This is not a joke, this is going to be apocalyptic levels of absurdity and violence. There is no scenario where this ends well. I salute your courage if you stay but this is nuts.

Faust

Ireland will be fine, the stress test indicates in a worst case scenario we will need to send all goods to and from europe via ships instead of ship > drive across Uk > ship.
Ironically this exacerbates the UK shipping issues, as we will be taking up a lot of the routes and dock space.
All medicines are stockpiled, we're a tiny population so it wasn't too bad to do so for 4Million people.
The only thing that we cannot source outside of the UK is toilet paper, why we don't make this is beyond me, but I'll stock up on a few 12 packs.
It's still going to be shit and cause a recession, but we know what that feels like (the total prosperous years in the last 900 for Ireland are 1987-2001, then 2003-2008), in short we know how to be miserable poor bastards, but I think this is something the UK may not be prepared for, even in the worst days of thatcher it never got as bad)

chaotic neutral observer

Quote from: Faust on September 19, 2019, 02:14:39 PM
The only thing that we cannot source outside of the UK is toilet paper, why we don't make this is beyond me, but I'll stock up on a few 12 packs.
What paper stock is used for UK banknotes?
Desine fata deum flecti sperare precando.

Cain

Fortunately I have no conditions that require medication. I have a month of non-perishable food stockpiled. I have savings in excess of five figures. I also have another passport and a job that allows me to pick my own hours and doesn't pay in sterling.

Still prepared to leave, if I have to. But for now, it's a matter of sitting back and seeing what happens. Especially since the government just admitted it needs another year to sort out the Irish border issue alone.

Magpie

Quote from: chaotic neutral observer on September 19, 2019, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: Faust on September 19, 2019, 02:14:39 PM
What paper stock is used for UK banknotes?

We're trying to avoid imports from the UK, besides, we don't want to go polluting our water with Sterling.

Faust

Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2019, 02:41:16 PM
Fortunately I have no conditions that require medication. I have a month of non-perishable food stockpiled. I have savings in excess of five figures. I also have another passport and a job that allows me to pick my own hours and doesn't pay in sterling.

Still prepared to leave, if I have to. But for now, it's a matter of sitting back and seeing what happens. Especially since the government just admitted it needs another year to sort out the Irish border issue alone.

I love how he said that as an argument for the EU to drop the backstop instead of him saying he would need to ask for a another year or two extension.

LMNO

Quote from: Cain on September 19, 2019, 02:41:16 PM

But do you have a Honda?