News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junkenstein

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

So, this is the kind of shit that will start a civil war.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Faust

Cummings also getting death threats now, it seems to me, that a British Pride and the Stiff Upper lip would find a civil war preferable then admitting that Brexit and that vote may not have been such a good idea.

Cain

Andy Burnham immediately condemned those effigies, btw. Like, I heard about the effigies and Burnham's condemnation in the next breath.

I very much doubt that would have happened if the situation were reversed. Hell, if it had been Labour Remainer MPs, no doubt it would have been cheered on, along with calls to reinstate the death penalty for treason, by large sections of the press.

Cain

Quote from: Faust on September 30, 2019, 08:57:26 AM
Cummings also getting death threats now, it seems to me, that a British Pride and the Stiff Upper lip would find a civil war preferable then admitting that Brexit and that vote may not have been such a good idea.

Are you sure that's not Dominic Grieve who's getting the death threats? People seem to confuse them a lot, but Dominic G is the good Dominic (I wanted him as a future Tory leader before Brexit ever happened, his analysis of the lack of legal underpinning for the Syria intervention was truly excellent).

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/dominic-grieve-receives-death-threat-20330876

Faust

It was grieve, of the Grieve Amendment (right?), which worries me because it is another death threat against "the remainer establishment"

Cain

Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Cummings did eventually get death threats, acting like a smarmy git as he does and especially regarding death threats to sitting MPs.

But Grieve has long been on the Brexiteer shitlist for his silly insistence on things like "Parliamentary procedure" and "following the law", little things like that.

Junkenstein

As far as effigies go, I'll just note that this year's bonfire night should be all kinds of amusing. It's the kind of thing that can really bring a community together.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Faust

The Uk's grand solution to no border in Northern Ireland is....

A border 5 miles back from the border.

No deal is at this point probably a certainty. No backstop = a border, no deal = a border and an Burning need for the UK to return to the negotiation table.

Magpie

Quote from: Faust on September 30, 2019, 09:49:25 PM
The Uk's grand solution to no border in Northern Ireland is....

A border 5 miles back from the border.

No deal is at this point probably a certainty. No backstop = a border, no deal = a border and an Burning need for the UK to return to the negotiation table.

RTE are reporting it as a set of customs checks either side, so two borders, give it a week and Boris will be claiming one border is a gracious concession he's offering.

Faust

So we get a no mans land as an added bonus? Isn't he generous. The only way the UK can now avoid no deal is the ineffectual opposition to pull their last gasp grab at and call another referendum. Or vote in Mays deal at 11:55 on OĆ­che Shamhna

Cain

Instead of one hard border it'll be two hard, ill-defined borders that stretch over 10 miles inland.

Alternatively, we could go tell the DUP to shit in a hat and draw the border in the Irish Sea. Northern Ireland already has regulatory divergence from the rest of the UK and it's not like the DUP are supplying a majority anymore. That this hasn't happened tells you about Johnson's priorities.

Magpie

It gives the DUP space to dig a moat while the bridge to Scotland is being built.

From the outside, it looks like agreeing to let NI stay in the customs union would be political suicide for Johnson after his criticism of the backstop as either breaking up the UK or trapping them in the EU, whether in his own words or from those he surrounds himself with. A plebiscite in NI might have gotten around that, but it's too late now.

Faust

The only advantage Boris has in a climb down is that everyone assumes that at least every second statement that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

But yes, fuck the DUP, for now and forever.

Cain

It would also possibly help if Northern Ireland's Assembly hadn't been suspended since January 2017. Then Northern Ireland would be able to make it's voice more apparent in these proceedings, and challenge the insane bullshit the government is coming out with.

Of course, in theory the government should be doing something about that. But they didn't because a) Brexit is taking up all the political bandwidth, b) the DUP could collapse the government if the return was on terms they disagreed with and c) they will tell them things they don't want to hear.