News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

The exit polls are pretty accurate.

So what does this say: There is the support for the Tories, support for Brexit? Fatigue from Brexit (the get it over with lie has been believed)?

I am glad it wasn't a hung parliament, I am surprised with the result, best that can be hoped for now is he follows through, first on NI, but if he is serious about a trade deal with the EU by the end of 2020, then it will be entirely on EU terms which means the NHS wont be sold off, and the UK will still follow EU regulations (level playing field, medicines, food and energy).
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

LMNO

Sorry to hear about your cat's penis country losing its damn mind.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

What's really interesting is looking at the vote share.

Labour didn't do bad in terms of votes - it did significantly better than it did in 2005, 2010 and 2015, for example. However, the Tories managed to unite a Brexit vote (due to the media pretty much squelching the Brexit Party entirely) while the Lib Dems siphoned off Labour votes, but not in a way that led them to capture more seats.

On the plus side, Jo Swinson lost her own seat to the SNP, so that should mean we can say goodbye to the nasty squirrel killer once and for all.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2019, 03:49:50 PM

Labour didn't do bad in terms of votes - it did significantly better than it did in 2005, 2010 and 2015, for example. However, the Tories managed to unite a Brexit vote (due to the media pretty much squelching the Brexit Party entirely) while the Lib Dems siphoned off Labour votes, but not in a way that led them to capture more seats.

On the plus side, Jo Swinson lost her own seat to the SNP, so that should mean we can say goodbye to the nasty squirrel killer once and for all.

SNP?

In any case, yeah, you guys got the 2016 Effect.  Lost of votes, but so geographically dispersed that any advantage is drowned out.
Molon Lube

Cain

Faust

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2019, 03:49:50 PM

The time for a coordinated remain effort was when parliament was sitting and they mostly squandered that, it's only fitting that they end up being their own road block in an election. First past the post isn't a proper representation of peoples wants, I would like to see the UK go for a proportional representation system but not a chance the Tories will be enacting it

Cain

I do grin slightly upon remembering that the Lib Dems voted for this general election. Well, they got what they asked for.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on December 13, 2019, 05:18:16 PM
I do grin slightly upon remembering that the Lib Dems voted for this general election. Well, they got what they asked for.

Can we just call them the Green Party and call it a day?
Molon Lube

Cain

Centrist Greens. The worst kind. Because they'll look at a couple of Labour policies they don't like, then look at the Tories wrecking the country in pursuit of batshit insane ethno-nationalist politics and go "the truth is somewhere in the middle" rather than "the Tories are insane, perhaps we should suck it up and help Labour get into power, with our help, and moderate down their policies we dislike."

Faust

WA is being voted on on Friday, I'm so sorry to everyone I know from the UK and my relatives over there, it looks like there is nothing can stop the out of control train now. The NI part of the WA was really important for everyone over here, but beyond that we are hoping Boris doesn't go for the regulatory bonfire and align the UK entirely with the US, that a close brexit to the EU would be good.

At least Mogg being sidelined is a silver lining, but a dim one at that

Cain

I'm just surprised they haven't given him a peerage and put him in the Cabinet.

I mean, it's good enough for Nicky Morgan and Zac "infamously Islamophobic London mayoral campaign" Goldsmith.