News:

Remember, its all a sociological experiment.  "You are doing exactly as I planned. My god you are all so predictable."  Repeat until you believe it.

Main Menu

UK General Election 8th June: Shake it all about?

Started by Vanadium Gryllz, February 23, 2016, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Cain on October 16, 2020, 02:58:37 PM

So is it in preparation for something, like mass crackdowns after No Deal Brexit goes bad? Maybe, but no-one's saying.
:eek: Um, that sounds like food riots
Sleepless nights at the chateau

LMNO

Ah, so this clears the way for gunning down Brexit rioters in the street.  That.... almost makes sense, in a "worst possible timeline" type of way.

The Johnny

<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Cain

Quote from: Faust on October 16, 2020, 03:12:15 PM
:eek: Um, that sounds like food riots

Quote from: LMNO on October 16, 2020, 03:15:31 PM
Ah, so this clears the way for gunning down Brexit rioters in the street.  That.... almost makes sense, in a "worst possible timeline" type of way.

Maybe. But it also doesn't really make sense, because then why not just give those powers to all officers?

Maybe it's about cementing Tory rule for forever. They're explicitly not ruling out these powers being used on unions, with even a modicum of oversight. Keep the unions on the back foot and demoralised, keep Labour in the centre. Keep Labour in the centre, beat them on nonsense culture war idiocy.  They prevent another Corbyn, who I truly believe drove the centre and right in this country crazy, and they prevent any systematic changes from the left. They already have the centre and the right locked down, hooray for another 40 years of uninterrupted Tory rule.

Junkenstein

Best bit of hope for the future I've heard lately :"I'm praying that Johnson is the Savile of uk politics"

I didn't have the heart to tell him that the black moon is in ascendance so the worm-that-walks will soon be fully summoned to this realm by gove.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Break it down for me, guys:  What happens on January 21st?

I don't mean "disaster," I know that.  What specific catastrophes happen on that Friday?
Molon Lube

Faust

Jan first isnt it?

In a no deal scenario imports and exports get 20% slapped on.

A truck with food products needs a permit of transit per food type.

Every truck will need to go through full inspection (current rate is 1 in 50) causing backlogs in kent and delays in calais

Any live animal transport will need vet sign off, this is for food only, no pets for travel will be allowed

Trucks that normally do three or four drop offs on the continent will only be allowed single set down and return

The ability to import and export electricity via the single market expires including the ability to buy discounted wholesale prices on gas and oil

Access to europol or raising arrest warrents in europe goes from a day to six months

Access to european criminal databases ends

If things go really bad (ie the uk doesnt uphold the Northern Ireland part of the withdrawal agreement), pilots wont be insured to land in eu airports, the flights themselves cannot cross eu airspace

Access to euratom is ended which is the only supplier of the radio isotope for ct/MRI machines

Some financial services will immediately lose access, but not the clearing houses this being the card the uk has to play over the EU. It will take between 5 and 10 years but all Euro currency clearing will move back within the EU.

Rights of citizens living abroad end including their insurance and healthcare though countries are expected to allow people to nationalise and take up the countries passport.

Drivers licences wont be recognised, annoying for traveling, detrimental to delivery truck drivers

Access to the european gps may end right away or be staged, if right away location services turn off.

Permits of transport of chemicals for textiles under the echa ends which would affect manufacturing

There's probably more but I cant think of it.
Most things can be overcome but will cost business, the big difficulty is the 4-5 hour transit of goods becoming a 24 hour full red tape nightmare which could reduce the availability of some goods for consumers on the shelves

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Also the furlough scheme for the lockdown is over, yet the UK will very likely be going into a second lockdown between December and February.

There's already a large increase in unemployment due to Covid.

Cain

The Tories have now reached such cartoonish levels of villainy that even Farage can't support them on the "starving children" thing.

Cain

Lockdown 2 is coming.

I will report how bad the panic-buying situation is after I visit the shops today. I actually do need to visit the shops today, I'm not going simply to buy shit needlessly.

Faust

They are doing it so there will be a somewhat normal Christmas, if they had followed the advice: (lockdown two weeks ago) it could have been four weeks instead of longer.
However, students returning home for Christmas is guaranteed to cause a new spike around the first two weeks of Jan. Meaning the spike will coincide with the other unpleasantness, which the Tories probably planned.
Delays in Kent: Covid, shortages of items: Covid panic buying

Cain

Well, they're not closing the schools either, and they are a major source of current infections. And a month-long lockdown is entirely inadequate. I agree, it will spike over Xmas and we will have a combined lockdown and economic shock from Brexit.

With Farage leading his new death cult, aka the "anti-lockdown" Reform Party, it's going to be a fun few months.

Junkenstein

Look, it's got to get worse before it gets worse.

I'm just constantly laughing at all the "bullied by scientists" lines. "forced to confront reality and your own failings" would be more accurate.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Junkenstein on November 02, 2020, 02:44:07 PM
Look, it's got to get worse before it gets worse.

I'm just constantly laughing at all the "bullied by scientists" lines. "forced to confront reality and your own failings" would be more accurate.

It's amazing.
Molon Lube