News:

Testimonial: "PD is the home of Pure Evil and All That Is Wrong With the Interwebz." - Queen of the Ryche, apparently in all seriousness

Main Menu

High Altitude Horror Stories

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, March 02, 2016, 01:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

3/1/16:  while doing the semi-annual utility line walk, found a smashed car 300 meters below the roadway.  The car brought a sizable portion of the cliff down onto itself.   No body inside, probably washed down a mile or so.  Call ADOT.  It's not on the highway, they don't give a fuck.  Next call to the Nation police force.  They send an officer out.  She's wearing shoes, not boots.  Her sergeant tells her to climb down anyway and inspect the wreck.  we spend an hour making a safe path for her.

Body is UNDER the car, carried out of the passenger compartment by critters.  Skull, half a pelvis.  Now the Nation is going to have to send people downhill for days until they find at least most of the bits.  They aren't happy.

Then some genius decides they have to recover the vehicle.  As I was leaving for the day, they had a tow truck driver scratching his head alongside 12 cops, trying to figure out how to winch the wreckage up 300 meters.  Good luck with that.

Worth mentioning:  the wreck had to have happened more than 2 months ago but less than 6 months ago, and nobody came looking for this person.  The license plate is missing, but the VIN comes back as never registered in Arizona.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Junkenstein

Well, that's impressively horrific.

How long did they fuck about with it before:

A - Leaving it where it is
B - Pushing it down the rest of the way
or
C - (Unlikely) Actually getting the fucking thing back up?

Drive fucking carefully man.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 02, 2016, 10:31:40 AM
Well, that's impressively horrific.

How long did they fuck about with it before:

A - Leaving it where it is
B - Pushing it down the rest of the way
or
C - (Unlikely) Actually getting the fucking thing back up?

Drive fucking carefully man.

They did in fact manage to get most of the wreckage up, at the expense of 3 cables (before some bright boy got some heavy-gauge chain.  That was around midnight.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Wizard Joseph

You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Good Reverend Roger

Update:  Shocked to learn that the man has been down there since 2000.  The police are trying to find out if his wife is alive (he would be 75 years if he were alive today) to be informed.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 03, 2016, 03:54:52 PM
Update:  Shocked to learn that the man has been down there since 2000.  The police are trying to find out if his wife is alive (he would be 75 years if he were alive today) to be informed.

Obviously the horrors were just waiting for you to show up.

Junkenstein

So how does that work with the 2-6 month timescale previously mentioned?

I'm guessing someone didn't do their job for a fucking long time.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 03, 2016, 04:05:41 PM

So how does that work with the 2-6 month timescale previously mentioned?

I'm guessing someone didn't do their job for a fucking long time.

Naw, the utility poles would have gone out if they hadn't been inspected for that long.  What it means is that people walked by without seeing it, or just assumed it was a wreck from the old days.  Either case beggars the imagination, but there you go.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 03, 2016, 04:03:25 PM

Obviously the horrors were just waiting for you to show up.

God won't give me nice things until he craps on them first.

The Good Reverend Roger

Zenpatista

Cripes. I guess at least his son & family have some closure. Makes you wonder how many other wrecks there are on that road.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Zenpatista on March 12, 2016, 06:24:36 PM
Cripes. I guess at least his son & family have some closure. Makes you wonder how many other wrecks there are on that road.

Well, a bunch.  Happens all the time.  How this guy got missed is a mystery.

It's basically 12 miles of this:

Q. G. Pennyworth

May I yoink that photo? It looks like it'd work really well as a background on a half pager.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 13, 2016, 04:30:51 PM
May I yoink that photo? It looks like it'd work really well as a background on a half pager.

Sure.  I've got a pile of similar ones, too.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 13, 2016, 10:29:16 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on March 13, 2016, 04:30:51 PM

Sure.  I've got a pile of similar ones, too.

Thank you kindly :)