News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freeky

Quote from: Cain on April 11, 2016, 01:51:36 PM
Finally met up with my former co-worker for drinks, after nearly 4 months of trying, due to insane schedules between the two of us (she now works an 8-5 job, no weekends.  Not that I'm jealous or anything...).  Drinks and catching up were good, especially in the "actually not a complete shithole" part of London she works in now.

It's just...I'm not entirely sure what is going on.  I like C, but when we were both working, it was always strictly professional between us.  We got on well, and she is an intelligent and attractive woman.  I wasn't entirely getting that professional vibe last night and, once my dissertation is over, she wants to "make a day" of going out somewhere in London.

So, not sure where this is going, but I'm not complaining.  Even if I'm reading things entirely wrong, getting out from this shithole section of town, where the latest gossip is invariably the latest murder, may not be the worst plan.

It's nice to hear something nice happen.  Huzzah!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on April 11, 2016, 01:42:47 PM
It may be small comfort, but Shiite militias have also mobilised for Mosul.  Unlike the Iraqi Army, these guys have little choice about running or giving up, so they will hold position no matter what.  Despite Iraqi government protests to the contrary, Kurdish news agencies are reporting that the al-Hashd al-Shaabi, the umbrella militia organization set up to combat ISIS, are present in large numbers.

I mean, you wouldn't invite a lot of these guys to dinner, Kata'ib Hezbollah, Badr Brigade etc....but I trust in their willingness to fight, their training and their equipment (which is apparently being sourced from Iran and the USA).  No doubt the Awakening Council have thrown fighters into the mix as well, and despite their Sunni backgrounds, they're also marked for death by ISIS.

Allegedly there are also significant Peshmerga forces in the area, though I don't think they're participating in Mosul itself.

It is actually a comfort.  Between that news, a butt-pile of air support, and a dozen 155 MM tubes, I feel mostly okay about this.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Meunster

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2016, 03:04:12 AM
Quote from: Meunster on April 11, 2016, 01:19:30 AM
Any book that wants me to read it is not a book I want to read.

Any book that wants me to buy it is also a book I don't want to read.

So, what happened with the military thing?

I'm in it. In my AIT now.

Poe's law ;)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Meunster on April 12, 2016, 02:14:59 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2016, 03:04:12 AM
Quote from: Meunster on April 11, 2016, 01:19:30 AM
Any book that wants me to read it is not a book I want to read.

Any book that wants me to buy it is also a book I don't want to read.

So, what happened with the military thing?

I'm in it. In my AIT now.

woot.  Congratulations on getting through basic.  It's more or less downhill from here, and when you get to you permanent duty station, it's more or less nine to five.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on April 11, 2016, 08:26:47 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 11, 2016, 01:42:47 PM
It may be small comfort, but Shiite militias have also mobilised for Mosul.  Unlike the Iraqi Army, these guys have little choice about running or giving up, so they will hold position no matter what.  Despite Iraqi government protests to the contrary, Kurdish news agencies are reporting that the al-Hashd al-Shaabi, the umbrella militia organization set up to combat ISIS, are present in large numbers.

I mean, you wouldn't invite a lot of these guys to dinner, Kata'ib Hezbollah, Badr Brigade etc....but I trust in their willingness to fight, their training and their equipment (which is apparently being sourced from Iran and the USA).  No doubt the Awakening Council have thrown fighters into the mix as well, and despite their Sunni backgrounds, they're also marked for death by ISIS.

Allegedly there are also significant Peshmerga forces in the area, though I don't think they're participating in Mosul itself.

It is actually a comfort.  Between that news, a butt-pile of air support, and a dozen 155 MM tubes, I feel mostly okay about this.

It's a messy situation over there, but outside of being out of the country, he's probably in the best place possible. If I had to choose...it's honestly probably where I'd go, even as a civilian (safer than Baghdad, that's for sure).

Meunster

Poe's law ;)

Pergamos

Quote from: Meunster on April 13, 2016, 02:59:48 AM
How often is too often to think about suicide/homicide?

I know it's not homicide, but a soldier's job does include potentially killing people.  So I'd say in your situation there is no real upper limit on thinking about killing other people. 

Junkenstein

Still awaiting details to determine how good/bad Schroedinger's news is. Short update suggests end of the month-ish. Also indicates potential good/bad is a bit larger than initially anticipated.

So, pretty much carry on regardless and try not to think about it.

Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Daily or almost daily is potentially an indication of serious mental illness. If you have a plan, that's cause for immediate intervention.

Bruno

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 13, 2016, 12:46:28 PM

Daily or almost daily is potentially an indication of serious mental illness. If you have a plan, that's cause for immediate intervention.

Shit.

I asked a friend once if he ever had murder fantasies,he said he did and it was always in front of people and everyone approved, totally socially acceptable and zero consequences. I told him I did too, but it was in secret, and involved getting rid of the body. Then I thought to myself "Hmm... My murder fantasies may not be quite  enough like fantasies, and a little too much like plans." They have gotten significantly less frequent lately, though. So that's a good sign.
Formerly something else...

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 13, 2016, 01:54:41 PM

Shit.

I asked a friend once if he ever had murder fantasies,he said he did and it was always in front of people and everyone approved, totally socially acceptable and zero consequences. I told him I did too, but it was in secret, and involved getting rid of the body. Then I thought to myself "Hmm... My murder fantasies may not be quite  enough like fantasies, and a little too much like plans." They have gotten significantly less frequent lately, though. So that's a good sign.

I was focusing on the suicide side of it, I don't know what the guidelines are for homicidal ideation, or where the line between "fuck that guy I hate him" and actual "homicidal thoughts" is. The rule of thumb for most psychological disturbances is "does it interfere with your ability to get shit done, make you miserable, or endanger yourself or someone else?" (I am not a doctor, ymmv, etc.)

I'm kind of morbidly curious how your murder fantasies work, but I wouldn't want to make things worse by asking.

Faust

Shit.

If they are not fantasies any more but you aren't comfortable with them being called plans then find the nice middle ground and call them contingencies.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bruno

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on April 13, 2016, 02:33:03 PM

Shit.

I was focusing on the suicide side of it, I don't know what the guidelines are for homicidal ideation, or where the line between "fuck that guy I hate him" and actual "homicidal thoughts" is. The rule of thumb for most psychological disturbances is "does it interfere with your ability to get shit done, make you miserable, or endanger yourself or someone else?" (I am not a doctor, ymmv, etc.)

I'm kind of morbidly curious how your murder fantasies work, but I wouldn't want to make things worse by asking.

Bludgeoning with a hammer is the most common. Consequently, I have had some (i think) good ideas for a commercial for hammers. Not a specific brand of hammers, mind you, just hammers in general, like those commercials for milk, beef, or pork.

I do have suicidal thoughts sometimes, but lately I've taken more of a "I can take it or leave it" attitude towards life. In my current suicide "plan" I am significantly older and make it look like an accident, preferably a hilarious one. Jetpack experiment gone awry, or something.

The problem is, there really just isn't anything that I want to do, and all I see in my future is a bunch of stuff I don't want to do. So if I never get around to doing all that stuff I don't want to do anyway, then oh well.

Bruno

Quote from: Faust on April 13, 2016, 02:42:58 PM

Shit.

If they are not fantasies any more but you aren't comfortable with them being called plans then find the nice middle ground and call them contingencies.

It's good to keep your options open. Entropy is all about reduction of options.

The hard part of the math is deciding where the system boundaries are. Am I a closed system?

Q. G. Pennyworth

If you are a person interested in the Notes on an Inconvenient Universe essay series, you may be one of the six people who downloaded the bad version of the booklet. New version is up in the propaganda depository with corrections, and an online/postergasm version has been added, too.