Open Bar: We're going to build a bar, and make the drinks pay for it!

Started by Cain, March 04, 2016, 04:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trivial

Someone at my workplace was consulted on the Silicon Valley show and created probably the best paper to come form the company ever:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/228831637/Optimal-Tip-to-Tip-Efficiency
Sexy Octopus of the Next Noosphere Horde

There are more nipples in the world than people.

LMNO

Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 25, 2016, 08:48:52 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 25, 2016, 08:45:15 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 25, 2016, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 25, 2016, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: N E T on May 25, 2016, 07:18:58 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 24, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
I got dumped (not the husband). I've never gotten dumped before. This sucks and I hate it.

Ah, the story of my life. Sorry to hear that you're one of us now.

GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE

:lulz: that's ingenious!

The best cure for the horrible absurdities of life is.... MORE FOOKINABSURDITYUPTO11!!! GOBBLE GOOBLE GUBULULUB

The turkey curse is the great tester of persons! Most of them are unworthy.

Was no ta turkey curse reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1q2F_18cjg

That's pretty awesome! I never knew where the whole "one of us. One of us" thing came from. What's the title of that film?

"Freaks"

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 25, 2016, 09:16:25 PM
Back in Texas, despite promising myself I'd never return.

Bad science, random Prada, and the sudden realization that LMNO is ten times sexier than I previously believed (which I would not have thought possible).

Pictures and details forthcoming, if I make it back.

I am so waiting for these pics.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: LMNO on May 26, 2016, 02:02:09 AM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 25, 2016, 08:48:52 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 25, 2016, 08:45:15 PM
Quote from: The Wizard Joseph on May 25, 2016, 06:09:25 PM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 25, 2016, 12:32:43 PM
Quote from: N E T on May 25, 2016, 07:18:58 AM
Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on May 24, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
I got dumped (not the husband). I've never gotten dumped before. This sucks and I hate it.

Ah, the story of my life. Sorry to hear that you're one of us now.

GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE

:lulz: that's ingenious!

The best cure for the horrible absurdities of life is.... MORE FOOKINABSURDITYUPTO11!!! GOBBLE GOOBLE GUBULULUB

The turkey curse is the great tester of persons! Most of them are unworthy.

Was no ta turkey curse reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1q2F_18cjg

That's pretty awesome! I never knew where the whole "one of us. One of us" thing came from. What's the title of that film?

"Freaks"

Thanks!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

hooplala

One of my bar patrons, one I was pretty friendly with, killed himself on Saturday. I just found out an hour ago.

The last time I saw him we had an argument, and I never got to rectify that situation. He left the bar angry, saying he wasn't going to come back when I was working (he was drunk, and this wasn't uncommon for him). My last words to him were: You'll be back; this is the Hotel California, you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

But he never came back.

And now I'm left with wishing I hadn't tried to be funny.

Him killing himself had nothing to do with that incident, at least I don't think so.  I hope not. The last time I saw him was almost a month ago, certainly lots had transpired in that time.

I wish people wouldn't kill themselves.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Wizard Joseph

Me too. Sorry to hear that Hoopla. I think it's fairly safe to say that unless there was a distinct mention of you personally in a note or something he wasn't thinking about you at all and likely would have done the thing having never known you. I know that the point is your sense of regret at that last interaction, but I'd like to shore up your perspective there.

As to saying regrettable things that you can't take back not long before you lose someone, been there. There's nothing nice to say about it. I was about 15 when I confessed to my grandfather that I had, for years by then, been putting no effort into school and just barely passing things on my ability to take tests. I was hoping for his help on some level, but I could see that he was angry and clearly disappointed. He just didn't have much to say, after the fashion of an old Roman in such a state. He just dropped me off when he got me home and I never got to bring it up again. My memory of the exact amount of time that passed is hazy, but within a month or 2 he passed from a sudden coronary.

It's hard to weigh what is regrettable to say against what might be regrettable to not say.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

minuspace

Me three.  On the flip side, instead of retroactively explaining the behaviour as a disparaging attempt at being funny, it seems more like the direct result of an accurate, however indeterminate, understanding of the situation.  Although it may have seemed like an uncalled-for provocation, the response was in itself neither out of place, nor casulally sufficient to explain what followed.  I'm still sorry too.

hooplala

I really shouldn't have even implied that interaction had anything to do with it. He had a lot of problems: had recently been fired, felt he was getting financially gouged by his ex, and was diagnosed with a debilitating disease.

That last encounter was fairly standard for our relationship. He would get shitfaced, say something stupid, I would challenge it, and he would leave. That last time ended with him calling me racist because I disagreed with what "wog" meant in England. I wasn't going to not challenge that, so he went off in a huff.  Unfortunately, that happened to be my last encounter with him. I wish I had reacted at least slightly differently that time. Oh well.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Sucks.  So it goes.

Maybe get a small plaque for him, hang it in the bar or something?

hooplala

Quote from: LMNO on May 26, 2016, 04:38:20 PM
Sucks.  So it goes.

Maybe get a small plaque for him, hang it in the bar or something?

I could do that.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Cain

Currently taking bets on someone breaking into my flat while I'm away this weekend.

Anyone?

LMNO

67%, with no additional priors.

Have you done something extra special to annoy your charges lately?

Cain

Which charges are we talking about, the students or management?  :lol:

In the case of the former, I've had to oversee the departure of one student, I've harassed another 11 or so about their disgusting fridges, I've not let one have an extra blanket because his wife is staying over for a couple of days, I told 3 they couldn't smoke in the carpark and that they have to go to the designated smoking area, I've had to chase up and talk to another 2 about the late night guest policy and why making me run all over the building looking for them at kicking out time is not going to win my love and affection, I've kicked out at least 4 dividers being used to hold the self-locking fire doors open because apparently carrying a key is a huge burden, I was given blatantly obvious information to give to a student who had already been given the same information at least 4 times earlier that day and I've had to tell two fast food delivery guys to shove off after being exceptionally rude to my assistant in reception when they couldn't see me in the office (and thus thought she was on her own), I've indirectly led to 3 students getting a final warning for smoking, and I've gone to great lengths to explain when another 16 students are being kicked out and what they need to do.

That would be the last 3 days.

I haven't done anything especially to annoy management, except point out how no-one else in this building except me is apparently capable of filing and updating paperwork without their hand being held and a step-by-step guide being produced for it.

Cain

Oh, I did use the accomodation service to get my suit cleaned.  My boss is aware of this, and is likely paranoid I have a job interview, going by his recent behaviour.

I don't, but he doesn't need to know that.

Cain

I'm not quite at TGRR levels of being able to upset people yet, but on the other hand, wounding the inner child of teenagers is much easier, especially when they let it loose so often.